Wayne Rooney not world class says...................Joey Barton

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26867861

...and for what it's worth I agree. It may have come from someone now playing for QPR who made his name stabbing people with lit cigars but when you compare Rooney to Ronaldo or Messi he just doesn't measure up.

Not only the fag smoking for me, also the fact that when either Ronaldo or Messi miss a chance you know they're going to be cool as a cucumber next time, whereas Rooney visibly fumes, swears and blames everyone else. On such small things lie the difference between pretty damn good and world class.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree too. Overrated. V good, but not world class.

World class wage collector.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a difference between being "world class" and being "the best in the world".

If a player would get into at least half of the Top 20 club teams in the world then they have to be regarded as world class, and I believe Rooney probably would do that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
There's a difference between being "world class" and being "the best in the world".

If a player would get into at least half of the Top 20 club teams in the world then they have to be regarded as world class, and I believe Rooney probably would do that.

You can only get picked in your position. Let's be generous and call him an attacker. Let's do an imaginary draft and say you can pick any three from Messi, Ronaldo, Imbrahimovich, Suarez and Rooney. Rooney last pick every time.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26867861

...and for what it's worth I agree. It may have come from someone now playing for QPR who made his name stabbing people with lit cigars but when you compare Rooney to Ronaldo or Messi he just doesn't measure up.

Not only the fag smoking for me, also the fact that when either Ronaldo or Messi miss a chance you know they're going to be cool as a cucumber next time, whereas Rooney visibly fumes, swears and blames everyone else. On such small things lie the difference between pretty damn good and world class.

It's wrong to measure possible 'World Class' players against Messi and Ronaldo's abilities, as no one else can compete at their level. There's a sub category below them that would include the likes of Busquets, Iniesta, Zlatan, Suarez etc. Rooney probably has a claim to be in there on previous form.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
In his career Rooney has shown flashes of world class but most of the time he's just an over rated, fat, root vegetable faced biddy fiddler. I hate to agree with Barton, but I think he has a point

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bit rich to hear Joey Barton lecture others about discipline and making most of their potential...

Also, compared to the QPR player, Rooney is world class.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bit rich to hear Joey Barton lecture others about discipline and making most of their potential...

Also, compared to the QPR player, Rooney is world class.

Two points. You don't need to be a world-class player to have an informed opinion on whether someone else is and I'd also argue that Barton has made the most of his potential.You could even say that he's over-achieved and in no small way because of the persona he has built.

And of course, Barton is spot on with his analysis.

Oct 25, 2003
Two points. You don't need to be a world-class player to have an informed opinion on whether someone else is and I'd also argue that Barton has made the most of his potential.You could even say that he's over-achieved and in no small way because of the persona he has built.

I do agree with you, and with Barton re. Rooney. However, in the same interview Barton himself said that with better application he would have been England captain....so presumably he himself would think that he's underachieved

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

One England cap for a player of Joey Barton's ability is hardly over-achieving. You are right that anyone can hold an opinion on who is world class and who isn't. He just needs to add that however lacking in discipline Rooney is compared to the best footballer in the world, it is still significantly more than Barton has shown in his career.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Messi/Ronaldo/Ibrahimovic play in poor leagues, so have no probs notching loads, whereas Rooney has scored over 200 league goals in ten years in probably the toughest league anywhere. Ask a Prem manager if they would sign a striker likely to have those stats and they would say a resounding yes :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Messi/Ronaldo/Ibrahimovic play in poor leagues, so have no probs notching loads, whereas Rooney has scored over 200 league goals in ten years in probably the toughest league anywhere. Ask a Prem manager if they would sign a striker likely to have those stats and they would say a resounding yes :)

Toughest league in the world? What makes you think this?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It depends how you view success. I get the feeling that Barton isn't bothered about playing for England.

And so what if Barton has under-achieved because of lack of application and desire and also his attitude. Perhaps that gives him a greater insight.

Barton is just saying what all of us knew. Rooney is lazy and lost the hunger years ago.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Both Joey Barton and Wayne Rooney had a joyous swashbuckling style when they started. Would have been brilliant if they had fulfilled their potential, not least for the England team. Who remembers all those slaloming runs Rooney used to go on in the early days for the national team?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It depends how you view success. I get the feeling that Barton isn't bothered about playing for England.

And so what if Barton has under-achieved because of lack of application and desire and also his attitude. Perhaps that gives him a greater insight.

Barton is just saying what all of us knew. Rooney is lazy and lost the hunger years ago.

As Joey Barton himself has said, his source is people who have worked with both Rooney and Ronaldo. It's people who are top of the profession in the world who have the greater insight, not Barton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

Nonsense. the last couple of seasons in Europe say very much otherwise.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here