Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Professional Footballers from Sussex

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
A rough guess suggests that there are roughly 7 footballers currently playing in 1 st teams of English professional football that hail from Sussex. March, Dunk, El Abd, Cook, Elphick (from Bournemouth), David Martin and Gareth Barry.

I'm probably wrong and there a few more, but its a poor effort from this county. At international level only Gareth Barry and Gareth Southgate have ever played for England and who hail from sussex.

Why is that Sussex produces so few professional footballers? Hopefully the new training complex will help a few more come through, but is it deeper than that. Do Sussex lads enjoy playing football serious enough to make a career out of it?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Marcus Tudgay (Worthing)

Rhys Murphy (Shoreham)

Grant Hall (Brighton)

Poorer places tend to produce the better players.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
By David Martin I assume you mean Russell Martin of Norwich? He does have a brother called David though.

Forest striker Marcus Tudgay was born in Shoreham and grew up in Worthing.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Apologies for not realising that there are only a finite set of topics to discuss and for not checking with the search engine beforehand.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A rough guess suggests that there are roughly 7 footballers currently playing in 1 st teams of English professional football that hail from Sussex. March, Dunk, El Abd, Cook, Elphick (from Bournemouth), David Martin and Gareth Barry.

I'm probably wrong and there a few more, but its a poor effort from this county. At international level only Gareth Barry and Gareth Southgate have ever played for England and who hail from sussex.

Why is that Sussex produces so few professional footballers? Hopefully the new training complex will help a few more come through, but is it deeper than that. Do Sussex lads enjoy playing football serious enough to make a career out of it?

Gareth Southgate isn't a Sussex native.

You've neglected to consider Bobby Tambling, born in Storrington.

Paul Ifill is still playing, albeit in New Zealand.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Missed out Cox, Harding and Hammond as well. theres another three.

i would have thought Crawely would now have some pros from Sussex in their team.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Missed out Cox, Harding and Hammond as well. theres another three.

i would have thought Crawely would now have some pros from Sussex in their team.

Does Dan Harding qualify for this list, he isn't from Sussex, he was born in Gloucester.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's just not a football area. Never has been.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Marcus Tudgay (Worthing)

Rhys Murphy (Shoreham)

Grant Hall (Brighton)

Poorer places tend to produce the better players.

You will be surprised, a large proportion of the west ham , Charlton and millwall academies are actually players from Kent and Essex leafy suburbs believe it or not

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You will be surprised, a large proportion of the west ham , Charlton and millwall academies are actually players from Kent and Essex leafy suburbs believe it or not

I'm at the Southampton Academy fairly regularly for U-11/12/13/14 games. They win most of them, and their entire academy is filled with blonde middle-class kids called Tom, Harry or Will, from Winchester or the New Forest.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I'm at the Southampton Academy fairly regularly for U-11/12/13/14 games. They win most of them, and their entire academy is filled with blonde middle-class kids called Tom, Harry or Will, from Winchester or the New Forest.

its fascinating how its evolved especially in east London where there is a proportion of kids from deprived areas but its not the majority like it used to be. You probably know this already but kids are now being put through school by the clubs and they have to be able to achieve grades now to play.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Talking of which - Harrison Reed is a Southampton pro who came through the ranks and was born in Worthing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here