Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty stats 2011-2014

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When Blackburn were awarded their penalty last night, you KNEW they would score. Whereas when we were awarded ours on Saturday the immediate reaction (mine at least) was that it was a CHANCE to score.

A lot of this comes from the general pessimism inherent in all football fans, but it seems to have some pretty strong basis in recent stats, too.

I'm hopefully that [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] will be along soon, as his STATPHONE warning will go off, due to the thread title.

I may have forgotten a handful of missed opposition penalties (I don't think so, though) in the league, since our return to the Championship, but my impression is that we have converted about 60-65% of ours, and that the opposition have scored 100% of theirs. They may have missed one perhaps, but I'm certain none of our keepers have saved one?

Last edited:

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Yeah i think you've got a point tbf. Teams NEVER seem to miss against us, no idea why so maybe its just one of those things....just 'football' I guess. I think I'm right in saying the last penalty missed vs u was saved by Peter Brezovan. In normal time (no penalty shoot outs) the last one I remember seeing was Brezovan up at Oldham towards the end of the 2009-10 season. Correct me if I'm wrong!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brezovan (gave away and) saved one on his debut, away to Torquay, I think. Somewhere out West anyway. Again - over 4 years ago, though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Love to see the stats on this because I feel the same way.

Also - there's a big difference between a Save and a Miss when it comes to not scoring a penalty. We seem particularly prone to the latter (or is my judgement clouded by last Sat) which should be unforgivable.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think we've missed that many penalties off the target but have had quite a few saved, I remember even in our promotion season we had a few saved, and we've definitely had a fair few saved since then. Although in that time I don't remember our keeper saving one, I think maybe in the 2010/11 season.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Brezovan (gave away and) saved one on his debut, away to Torquay, I think. Somewhere out West anyway. Again - over 4 years ago, though.

Was it Swindon? Brez gave away the penalty, and then stepped up to save it. I seem to recall Brez has saved one since them (may be my memory playing tricks...)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This site - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/championship/elfmeter-detail/wettbewerb_GB2.html - suggests.

2013-14

Us - Scored: 3; Missed: 1
Them - Scored: 3; Missed: 0

2012-13

Us - Scored: 8; Missed: 4
Them - Scored: 6; Missed: 0

2011-12

Us - Scored: 3; Missed: 2
Them - Scored: 6; Missed: 1

Total

Us - Scored: 14; Missed: 7 (66%)
Them - Scored: 15; Missed: 1 (94%)

The only opposition miss was Liam Lawrence for Pompey (#twats) in the 96th minute of our 1-0 win at Fratton Park on the 13th August 2011. Ankergren was in goal and the penalty was missed. Since then, the opposition have scored 15 consecutive penalties against us.

Albion's penalty takers over this period:

Lopez - Scored: 5; Missed: 0 (100%)
Dobbie - Scored: 1; Missed: 0 (100%)
Vicente - Scored: 1; Missed: 0 (100%)
CMS - Scored: 2; Missed: 1 (66%)
Barnes - Scored: 5; Missed: 3 (63%)
Harley - Scored: 0; Missed: 1 (0%)
Ulloa - Scored: 0; Missed: 2 (0%)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I may have forgotten a handful of missed opposition penalties (I don't think so, though) in the league, since our return to the Championship, but my impression is that we have converted about 60-65% of ours, and that the opposition have scored 100% of theirs. They may have missed one perhaps, but I'm certain none of our keepers have saved one?

Us - Scored: 14; Missed: 7 (66%)
Them - Scored: 15; Missed: 1 (94%)

Thanks.

They weren't bad guesses, were they?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
League matches only...

2013-14
For
Scored 3 (Barnes 2, Lopez 1)
Missed 1 (Ulloa 1)

Against
Scored 3

2012-13
For
Scored 8 (Lopez 4, CMS 2, Vicente 1, Dobbie 1)
Missed 4 (Barnes 2, CMS 1, Ulloa 1)

Against
Scored 7

2011-12
For
Scored 3 (Barnes 3)
Missed 2 (Barnes 1, Harley 1)

Against
Scored 6
Missed 1

Summary
For
Scored 14 (Barnes 5, Lopez 5, CMS 2, Vicente 1, Dobbie 1)
Missed 6 (Barnes 3, Ulloa 2, CMS 1, Harley 1)

Against
Scored 15
Missed 1

You can add that Barnes scored two penalties (missed none) in the League Cup in 2011, and that Liverpool (Suarez) missed one in the FA Cup in 2012.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here