Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable, no toilets in new......

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
.....Open Market. Having demolished the existing adequate toilets for redevelopment, it was assumed new would be incorporated in the new market.

But no. So market traders and customers have nowhere to use.

London Road is very popular with older shoppers and so with the demise of the Co-op Department store there are no usable toilets in the area, unless you visit cafes, pubs etc. without buying anything.

The Open Market may be a private development but where are the Planners when you need them.

Is there anybody competent on Brighton & Hove city council?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
.....Open Market. Having demolished the existing adequate toilets for redevelopment, it was assumed new would be incorporated in the new market.

London Road is very popular with older shoppers and so with the demise of the Co-op Department store there are no usable toilets in the area, unless you visit cafes, pubs etc. without buying anything.

The Open Market may be a private development but where are the Planners when you need them.

Maybe it is a French style market :eek: where you can :shit: on the floor :sick:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Memo to self: ensure bladder and bowels thoroughly evacuated before visiting the Open Market.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a cost thing. Building toilets costs money and takes up retail space plus you then have to pay out to maintain them and keep them clean. Welcome to the real world.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It's a cost thing. Building toilets costs money and takes up retail space plus you then have to pay out to maintain them and keep them clean. Welcome to the real world.

The council have a duty to provide public amenities. Perhaps they think those provided at The Level are adequate.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
As there were existing toilets at the site before development the planners could have insisted they were part of the new. Welcome to the real world.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
wrong planning decision

there should at least be a disabled toilet and baby change facility in the development

awaits "change baby for what?" jokes

maybe the developers are just waiting to see if the natives will stop shooting up and having sex in public toilets before putting them in?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Add the cost of health problems for the old caused by this and not so cost effective.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Nice rant, but the planning officers have made it a condition of trading that it will have public toilets.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The council have a duty to provide public amenities. Perhaps they think those provided at The Level are adequate.

Indeed they do have duties but also have a duty to spend their dwindling financial resources wisely. In Worthing several public toilets have been permanently closed and opening hours cut back on many others. It's a burden that councils are only too pleased to offload and then say " not my problem guv ".

It's been there for years.

Pretty much opposite what was Woolworth's and goes back to back on to Ditchling Road.

Doesn't help me I'm afraid, I have no idea where Woolworths was, or for that matter where Ditchling road is.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Doesn't help me I'm afraid, I have no idea where Woolworths was, or for that matter where Ditchling road is.

Basically, the area marked in pink.

London Road is marked 'A23'. The Level is the park on the right.

Market.jpg

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
@ The Rev. LOL. Can't wait for you to ask the thesps for a couple of plums and a cucumber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here