Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WARNING - Venting of spleen!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Now let me get this right. We are all reccomended that we should take more exercise as we are becoming a nation of unfit fatties. Increases in cases of obesity, heart disease, diabetes are all cited as evidence of our poor diet and lethargic lifestyles. Personally I stopped smoking two years ago which did lead to a few extra pounds going on to my waistline. In an effort to change this I now go to a gym 2 or 3 times a week and last year bought a bicycle to use for the daily commute through the summer months.

This morning Auntie Beeb is telling me to avoid exercise because of air pollution, WTF!

Saharan dust has been landing on the UK for thousands of years, OK we have high air pressure right now which does trap pollutants but it is April 2nd not mid summer which exacerbates the problem. According to one busybody, I mean contributor to the report, all adults should reduce outdoor exercise and those with existing conditions like asthma should stop all outdoor exertions. Jesus fxxking Christ! Stop the world, all sit on our arse and do jack sxxt!

I don't actually blame government for this, I blame the messengers like the news team that build a headline story out of a cautionary piece of advice. I blame the health 'professionals' that seize on the slightest thing to enable them to tell us what to do, I blame the civil servants and bureaucrats who need to be seen to be doing something. It's all boxxocks!

So get on with your lives everyone, unless you have a SERIOUS medical condition that MAY be affected by this and if so you will be sensible enough to realise what to do, go to work as normal and take your own choices about what to do. Right, feel better now, on my bike and off to work!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Wow, nice rant! I agree with it all though.

The thing I find amusing is the reports about how all our children are getting fat and have a poor diet and need more exercise. So what gets done? ..... Free bus travel for kids. So now anyone that used to walk 2-3 bus stops to get home, jumps on the bus and does no exercise - blinding idea that one

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Brilliant. I can use that as the reason I was absolutely blowing last night playing football. Nowt to do with the fact I haven't played in a while and I'm a bit unfit!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You don't have to go outside to exercise. I've just finished my daily workout.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
WQW I know where you are coming from, but just a note of caution. Never having had any problems in the past, around 5 years ago, I started reacting to pollen, which gets on my chest and reduces me to a wheezing mess. Once this gets established it is a bugger to shift. Hyacinths which some people have in the house around Christmas and certain tree pollens (Horse Chestnut) are the triggers and as long as I take the right hayfever tablets, I am generally okay. The only thing is my son has always been bad with grass pollen (eyes and nose) and the one type of tablet that works for him is useless for me. I just have to remember which is which.

Having gone 40 odd years without a problem, I would agree that stopping outdoor exercise makes no sense, but if you start to experience cold like symptoms, especially anything that affects your breathing, maybe ease off for a few days.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
WQW I know where you are coming from, but just a note of caution. Never having had any problems in the past, around 5 years ago, I started reacting to pollen, which gets on my chest and reduces me to a wheezing mess. Once this gets established it is a bugger to shift. Hyacinths which some people have in the house around Christmas and certain tree pollens (Horse Chestnut) are the triggers and as long as I take the right hayfever tablets, I am generally okay. The only thing is my son has always been bad with grass pollen (eyes and nose) and the one type of tablet that works for him is useless for me. I just have to remember which is which.

Having gone 40 odd years without a problem, I would agree that stopping outdoor exercise makes no sense, but if you start to experience cold like symptoms, especially anything that affects your breathing, maybe ease off for a few days.

I used to get hayfever very badly - closed eyes and needing an inhaler. I read an article that suggested one teaspoon of organic honey a day during periods of high pollen would solve the issue. Tried it all one hot summer and it didn't appear to have much of an affect but the next summer it worked a dream and since then I've taken no drugs at all ( for about 10 years ).

On the advice of this thread, I have phoned work to inform them that my daily 10 minute walk could be dangerous and therefore I will not be in today.

Right, off for a bike ride.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I used to get hayfever very badly - closed eyes and needing an inhaler. I read an article that suggested one teaspoon of organic honey a day during periods of high pollen would solve the issue. Tried it all one hot summer and it didn't appear to have much of an affect but the next summer it worked a dream and since then I've taken no drugs at all ( for about 10 years ).

Not even weed? WTF!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agreed. 24 hour news has a lot to answer for. Also there's a hell of a lot of people on the government payroll who have to come up with this sh1t to justify their paycheck.

Yesterday there was a report about eating fruit and veg saying that "5 a day" actually might not be enough after it's been rammed down everyone's throats for the last 10 years. How the f**k can anyone prove scientifically that 7 bits of veg will make any more difference than 5!

It was just an arbitrary number in the first place so they could tell stupid obese people to eat more veg without offending them. Fruit and veg isn't a f**king chore, normal people enjoy eating it and don't have to be brow-beaten into doing so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For the dust to get to UK from the Sahara it first needs to come over us.

And there's no sign of it

The Spanish gateway. How much is a gram of Saharan Dust these days?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The Argus have just tweeted a request for readers to send them photos of dusty cars.

:facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
From The Mirror, ' Professor Frank Kelly, chair of the Department of Health's committee on the medical effects of air pollution, said schools in areas affected by severe air pollution should keep ALL children inside over lunch and playtimes'.

Priceless! :facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
From The Express, 'People from across Britain have been issued with a SHOCK warning to stay inside today as the worst air pollution in DECADES sweeps across the country'!

Ha Ha! Brilliant!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
As a warming to people with heart disease and asthma it's a useful message.

When misinterpreted as "don't run outside", it's stupid.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As an Air Quality consultant... I think it's rather an odd thing for you to vent your spleen on. 29,000 deaths per year are caused directly by air pollution in the UK, including 5% of the deaths in Sussex and far far more than road traffic accidents. When there is a high pollution episode, it is a good idea not to do any strenuous exercise as you'll end up breathing in lots of this pollution. The reason it's now making headline news is that there is now far more evidence than ever before that air pollution is the biggest killer out there and very few people are aware of it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here