Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A27 this morning - Falmer

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Anyone else encounter the goon travelling the wrong way on the westbound carriage way outside the Amex about 6.45?

I nearly soiled myself as he came towards me in the outside lane. I can only assume he came out from Falmer station and turned right.

Frightening...

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Big blue 4x4. He'd got onto the A27 before Falmer because one of the girls from our office encountered him on the up hill drag towards Hollingbury.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I still find it amazing that theres no driving re-test at (say) 60 or 65. I appreciate everyone ages differently and many 65 year olds are more spritely and better drivers than some who are 10 years younger or more. But some of the confused old codgers you see peering over the wheel as they bumble around oblivious to everything in their world apart from Radio 4 are just frightening. Drink drivers are rightly clobbered if they get nicked, but what about a coffin-dodger with cataracts who can barely see past the end of the bonnet on a good day, yet is allowed to continue driving unchecked till something horrific happens.

When I come to power, mandatory driving retests will begin at 60, and every 5 years thereafter.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I still find it amazing that theres no driving re-test at (say) 60 or 65. I appreciate everyone ages differently and many 65 year olds are more spritely and better drivers than some who are 10 years younger or more. But some of the confused old codgers you see peering over the wheel as they bumble around oblivious to everything in their world apart from Radio 4 are just frightening. Drink drivers are rightly clobbered if they get nicked, but what about a coffin-dodger with cataracts who can barely see past the end of the bonnet on a good day, yet is allowed to continue driving unchecked till something horrific happens.

When I come to power, mandatory driving retests will begin at 60, and every 5 years thereafter.

People should be re-tested every 10 years anyway; it would stop people getting into bad driving habits, such as er... driving down the wrong side of the road :eek:

if you are driving around in a multi-tonne death machine, you should be regularly tested on it!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I think you will find that 17-19 year olds have as many serious road accidents as the entire 60-69 age bracket, but don't let a few facts get in the way of your grudges.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People should be re-tested every 10 years anyway; it would stop people getting into bad driving habits, such as er... driving down the wrong side of the road :eek:

if you are driving around in a multi-tonne death machine, you should be regularly tested on it!

Good idea in principal, but most experienced drivers would be capable of putting their bad habits "on hold" for half an hour in order to pass another driving test. Doesn't mean they wouldn't go straight back to them once the test examiner has given them the all-clear.

I often go the wrong way over mini-roundabouts if theres nothing coming the other way. Instant fail. If I was being tested though, I would dutifully navigate all the way round. I'd even stick to the 20mph "law" during a test, but who does that otherwise ??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you will find that 17-19 year olds have as many serious road accidents as the entire 60-69 age bracket, but don't let a few facts get in the way of your grudges.

Quite correct, and its not a grudge at all. But its a fact that eyesight deteriorates with age, skill and judgement will also deteriorate the older someone gets, but there is nothing in place to keep a check on this. Once a car is over 3 years old it has an annual check to ensure its still roadworthy, yet the driver can carry on totally unchecked long into elderly wrinkledom.

I can't see how a retest at some given point would be a bad idea. I'll be there one day meself.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone capable of putting their bad habits on hold for 40 minutes would rightly pass the test. However, there are drivers of all ages incapable even of that.

Retest every 10 years (5 years over 60) and 3 months to retake and pass if you fail. Don't manage that and you rightly lose your licence. Think of the money the government could make out of all those retests !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good idea in principal, but most experienced drivers would be capable of putting their bad habits "on hold" for half an hour in order to pass another driving test. Doesn't mean they wouldn't go straight back to them once the test examiner has given them the all-clear.

In that case, I'd suggest a re-test AND a 20-minute full-on bollocking from Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
HGV drivers have a medical every 5 years from 40. Why shouldn't everyone have one?

I know of at least one case where a driver had been medically certified as "fit to continue driving", despite the fact that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimers. The reason his GP had approved the continuation of his driving licence into old age (he was over 80) was that "he lived in a rural area and there weren't any bus services".

Outcome - he killed a colleague of mine who was cycling on a straight section of the A26, north of Crowborough, where visibility was no problem, simply because he didn't notice her. After the crash, he failed to stop - because he didn't realise he had hit her.

As long as there are presumptions that "a car is essential", these sorts of things will happen - until the authorities take a real responsibility for taking the driving keys away from people and chucking them away. I doubt if this is a big vote winner.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think having a mandatory driving re-test at age 70 is the way to go, then every couple of years after that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think having a mandatory driving re-test at age 70 is the way to go, then every couple of years after that.

Given the ever-increasing number of pensioners in this country, it'd be an extremely expensive proposition. Not saying I disagree, but just making the point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the ever-increasing number of pensioners in this country, it'd be an extremely expensive proposition. Not saying I disagree, but just making the point.

I imagine that the police costs of safely managing a situation like this morning's A27 nonsense, and then processing it all afterwards, stack up a bit too, though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here