We score: "Good point! Well played lads"

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We score: "Fantastic. We're finally taking it to them."
They score: "Silly mistake disappointing."
They score: "We're looking very poor."
We score: "Delighted. But against the run of play and we're still looking poor."
They score: "That was coming, but the penalty was harsh."
We score: "Good point! Well played lads, let's hope three goals give us some much needed confidence on Saturday."

That's how I saw it anyway,

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
We score: "Fantastic. We're finally taking it to them."
They score: "Silly mistake disappointing."
They score: "We're looking very poor."
We score: "Delighted. But against the run of play and we're still looking poor."
They score: "That was coming, but the penalty was harsh."
We score: "Good point! Well played lads, let's hope three goals give us some much needed confidence on Saturday."

That's how I saw it anyway,

This

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Just back from the game and back at the hotel in Darwen.

We showed good character and didn't give up, I thought we tried to play to much football in our defensive third and invited to much pressure on our selves and ended up making mistakes and giving away goals.

When we actually got in our attacking third and we were direct we looked like scoring.

In truth both teams looked a bit out of sorts and did their best to throw it away!

Tomo - 5

Bruno - 6
Upson -7
Greer - 5
Ward - 6

Forster-Caskey - 5.5
Ince - 5
Andrews - 6
Lingard - 6
Rodders - 6

Ulloa - 6

March - 5.5
Kaz - 6
Stephens - 6

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

We showed good character and didn't give up, I thought we tried to play to much football in our defensive third and invited to much pressure on our selves and ended up making mistakes and giving away goals.

When we actually got in our attacking third and we were direct we looked like scoring.

In truth both teams looked a bit out of sorts and did their best to throw it away!

Tomo - 5

Bruno - 6
Upson -7
Greer - 5
Ward - 6

Forster-Caskey - 5.5
Ince - 5
Andrews - 6
Lingard - 6
Rodders - 6

Ulloa - 6

March - 5.5
Kaz - 6
Stephens - 6
Have a read through the official match thread its a rare treat.

Thanks for the report.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Very worrying:

three goals have all come from the right fullback berth - and Bruno not seen - although we still should have dealt with these situations.

Ipswich - Buckley beaten by Williams (RIGHT FULLBACK BIRTH) to cross for Ipswich to score
Shef W - Bruno caught out
Middlesboro - Greer caught out (RIGHT FULLBACK BIRTH)
Blackburn - Andrews chasing their winger (RIGHT FULLBACK BIRTH) who crosses and Blackburn score

Fullback position defend FIRST then attack.

Costly defending all round

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Very worrying:

three goals have all come from the right fullback berth - and Bruno not seen - although we still should have dealt with these situations.

Ipswich - Buckley beaten by Williams (RIGHT FULLBACK BIRTH) to cross for Ipswich to score
Blackburn - Andrews chasing their winger (RIGHT FULLBACK BIRTH) who crosses and Blackburn score

It was Ulloa chasing back tonight, wasn't it? (had a bandage over his eye).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We actually took the game to them in the first 15 and the goal wasn't against the run of play. The defending for the free kick that they equalised from was a series of errors by TK, Ince and then TK again in leaving his goal unguarded and requiring a desperate tackle on the edge of the box from Andrews. This got Blackburn going and they were well on top for the next 40 minutes and would be disappointed to have only scored one more. We got going again when KLL and March came on to give us a bit of width and, finally, some pace to play balls into the channels. I think it's fair to say that we just about had them on the back foot when we equalised.

The pen looked to be soft, but it's hard to tell. What was very encouraging was that they had the character to go straight back down and equalise again. The Blackburn fans were still celebrating and singing Jordan Rhodes songs (and the shell suited teenagers next to the away end were still giving it large) when the ball hit the net, so it was one of the most satisfying goals of the season.

TK - 5 at fault for free kick leading to first goal
Bruno - 6 out of position for their 2nd, but not his fault we had given the ball away softly; took a yellow for the team when bringing down Conway.
Upson - 7 usual class
Greer - 7 got forward a lot when we were pressing for an equaliser and scored so can't fault him
Ward - 6 didn't overlap quite so well today

JFC - 6 average, but did pick up Leo's knock down and put Rodney through for the first
Andrews - 6 ok, but was part of the worst free kick routine of all time
Lingard 5 - not quite sure what his strength is; it's certainly not his strength
Rodney 6 - nice finish, but I'd still have CMS over him in a flash if he's back fit

Leo 7 - didn't have a single opportunity but held the ball up brilliantly when we got it to him, set up the first and ran tirelessly all night - certainly looked up for it.

KLL 7 - usual impact; I wish he started
March 7 - lively and his saved shot led to for corner leading to equaliser. He also assisted for 3rd (I think). Maybe could have done better with a shooting opportunity at the end.
Stephens 7 - grew into the second half; he deserves to start on Saturday.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Tomo - 5

Bruno - 6
Upson -7
Greer - 5
Ward - 6

Forster-Caskey - 5.5
Ince - 5
Andrews - 6
Lingard - 6
Rodders - 6

Ulloa - 6

March - 5.5
Kaz - 6
Stephens - 6

Fair Play sir, fantastic support.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
We actually took the game to them in the first 15 and the goal wasn't against the run of play. The defending for the free kick that they equalised from was a series of errors by TK, Ince and then TK again in leaving his goal unguarded and requiring a desperate tackle on the edge of the box from Andrews. This got Blackburn going and they were well on top for the next 40 minutes and would be disappointed to have only scored one more. We got going again when KLL and March came on to give us a bit of width and, finally, some pace to play balls into the channels. I think it's fair to say that we just about had them on the back foot when we equalised.

The pen looked to be soft, but it's hard to tell. What was very encouraging was that they had the character to go straight back down and equalise again. The Blackburn fans were still celebrating and singing Jordan Rhodes songs (and the shell suited teenagers next to the away end were still giving it large) when the ball hit the net, so it was one of the most satisfying goals of the season.

Bruno - 6 out of position for their 2nd, but not his fault we had given the ball away softly; took a yellow for the team when bringing down Conway.
Upson - 7 usual class
Greer - 7 got forward a lot when we were pressing for an equaliser and scored so can't fault him

JFC - 6 average, but did pick up Leo's knock down and put Rodney through for the first
Lingard 5 - not quite sure what his strength is; it's certainly not his strength
Rodney 6 - nice finish, but I'd still have CMS over him in a flash if he's back fit

Leo 7 - didn't have a single opportunity but held the ball up brilliantly when we got it to him, set up the first and ran tirelessly all night - certainly looked up for it.

March 7 - lively and his saved shot led to for corner leading to equaliser. He also assisted for 3rd (I think). Maybe could have done better with a shooting opportunity at the end.

Ince?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Very worrying:

Some of us have been saying it for ages, and now the buffoon has self exiled allowing a better defender to rightfully take his place.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Very worrying:

Sorry but you're wrong.

http://whitehouseaddress.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/footballs-evolution-modern-full-back.html

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Upson - 7 usual class

Bit harsh on Lingard when he set up the 1st and 3rd goals?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bit harsh on Lingard when he set up the 1st and 3rd goals?

Was that him that put Rodney through? I thought it was JFC. My mistake; a lot happened in the game since then and it was at the other end. It took a while to register that it was goal from where we were!

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith

Good and persuasive article, thanks for sharing. Not sure it completely proves that sllugaes is "wrong", and if goals against are consistently coming from one flank, there might be something to look into, even if it isn't necessarily the fault of the full back. But the attacking full back - with midfield cover - is definitely the way to go IMHO.

I remember watching Calde for the first time, regularly standing halfway inside their half when our centre backs had the ball, waiting for a pass. I'd never seen anything quite like it, from the Albion at least, and I was cacking it until I realised that whenever we did get attacked down our right hand side, either Calde or a covering player would be there to do the defensive full back job.

In the past, I'd have been one of the first and loudest complainers if our full back was arsing about in the opposition half, or if a centre back had the temerity to take more than one touch before hoofing it upfield. But I'm glad to be a convert - thanks again Gus - so I'd rather see the centre backs keep the ball and the full backs push up because it's better to watch, and on balance it works.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yet another bizarre game where we start by completely dominating Blackburn, take a deserved lead, looked worthy of extending our lead but then concede two unnecessary goals from silly defensive errors. We then spend 30 minutes looking all at sea until the subs give us some fresh spark and we snatch a well earned point when had it looked as if we would just throw in the towel.

OK, one point isn't really what we needed from our game in hand but that rousing finish by the Albion felt like a victory - and made the long drive home a heck of a lot more bearable!

My player ratings are all 5's except for:

TK: 7 - a couple of errors but some important saves.

Ward and Upson both 6's - more assured than their defensive colleagues (not difficult)

Bruno: 4. Conway gave him a hard time plus it didn't help when he went AWOL at times. Blackburn worked out that we are vulnerable down our right flank and ganged up on Bruno Some other Refs might have issued more than one yellow card.

Greer: 7, despite more scary moments unnecessarily faffing around at the back he earns an honourable mention because he scored and did push upfield more than we are used to. Looked delighted to get a goal against one of his old clubs and redeem himself after last week.

Andrews: 4 - typical performance with good work overshadowed by too many shocking errors, which attracted stick from both sets of supporters.

Lingard: 7 and my MoM for his all round effort. Does tend to play a tad deep and could threaten the goal more often but is still a handful for defenders.

Ulloa: 6 - looked less petulant and showed some nice touches but never really threatened.

D-Rod: - 6. another peripheral performance but did score a decent goal, credit to him for taking a first time shot rather than checking back and laying the ball off as we often seem to do. Not surprised when he was replaced by March.

Subs:

March: 6, gave us badly needed penetration into their 'box. Would like to see him start ahead of D-Rod.

Stephens: 6, looked a bit rusty but easily eclipsed JFC and ought to get a decent run in the team.

KLL: 6, not one of his best cameos but did enough to cause them a problem or two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here