Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seoul / Incheon trip advice

0 Not allowed!
    Usually some good tips on here for worldwide destinations. I can take a 15hr layover here (overnight though so limited options for siteseeing and maybe travel) and know the airport is reccomended for these, plus hear about free hotels and half day siteseeing trips? However if I can work out a way to do a 3 day or so stopover without the price rocketing (flights much more expensive on Aseana Airlines direct site than places like Lastminute and Expedia which don't seem to offer these) then I'd love to!

What should I be looking out for then fellas? 3 weeks over Xmas diving and island hopping in Philippines is the planned main holiday btw. Single bloke aged 31, low-middling budget, fairly experienced and adventurous traveler.

Thanks for all serious and not so serious responses

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by HastingsSeagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Usually some good tips on here for worldwide destinations. I can take a 15hr layover here (overnight though so limited options for siteseeing and maybe travel) and know the airport is reccomended for these, plus hear about free hotels and half day siteseeing trips? However if I can work out a way to do a 3 day or so stopover without the price rocketing (flights much more expensive on Aseana Airlines direct site than places like Lastminute and Expedia which don't seem to offer these) then I'd love to!

What should I be looking out for then fellas? 3 weeks over Xmas diving and island hopping in Philippines is the planned main holiday btw. Single bloke aged 31, low-middling budget, fairly experienced and adventurous traveler.

Thanks for all serious and not so serious responses
      My sister and brother in-laws are in Seoul at the moment so to early to get any feed back from them, unless they email or facebook some info..
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Interesting place, but hard work assuming you speak no Korean... Very little English spoke there, and no sign posts I'm English. Much like Tokyo in that respect. Can't say I know it well, but I do know it is culturally a hard part of the world for an Englishman

Having said that, that could be part of the attraction
      First REMF goalscorer - EVER

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy Tim View Post
      Interesting place, but hard work assuming you speak no Korean... Very little English spoke there, and no sign posts I'm English. Much like Tokyo in that respect. Can't say I know it well, but I do know it is culturally a hard part of the world for an Englishman

Having said that, that could be part of the attraction
      Unlike Japanese though, Koreans use an alphabet, not thousands of different characters. I think there's only 24 basic letters, and once you realise they're in (usually) consonant-vowel-consonant [/Rachelriley] syllable clusters, it becomes easy. I learned to read the letters before I went there - only took a couple of hours.

Still couldn't speak or understand much of what was said or written, but it did prove invaluable in deciphering simple stuff like restaurant menus.
      Beer in the Netherlands - "Probably the best beer guide to the Netherlands ever written." - Trufflehound.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by HastingsSeagull View Post
      3 weeks over Xmas diving and island hopping in Philippines is the planned main holiday btw. Single bloke aged 31, low-middling budget
      If you do much travelling around the Philippines on buses as a single bloke, be prepared to be interviewed by every single middle-aged woman on board as a potential marriage candidate for their daughter(s)...
      Beer in the Netherlands - "Probably the best beer guide to the Netherlands ever written." - Trufflehound.

0 Not allowed!
      If you get a chance to spend a few days there then I'd definitely recommend it. I left a month ago after spending a year living there and it's a pretty easy place to be to be honest. Not everyone speaks a huge amount of English although the level in Seoul isn't bad, especially in the touristy areas. Koreans start learning English at school from about the age of 7 so most people know at least some English, but they are a very reserved society and a lot of them are quite shy about actually using it. People are really polite and respectful there though, and if you can just learn a handful of basic words before going (hello, thank you, etc) then that'll help.

Most coffee shops have both English and Korean menus and a lot of restaurants do too. There are plenty of road signs in English and all the stations have signs in Korean, English and Japanese so getting around the city is easy. Announcements on trains and buses are in both Korean and English too. Public transport is cheap, and eating out and drinking isn't expensive either. Seoul is a big city but considering it's size, it's very safe.

There's plenty to keep you occupied for a few days as well - palaces, temples, markets, museums, etc. If you want to get out of Seoul then Suwon is quite a nice place to visit for a day but I wouldn't bother with Incheon to be honest. Alternatively you could head up to the DMZ on the border with the North! Anyway let me know if you want any more info mate.

0 Not allowed!
      It'll be cold, possibly snowy and icy, around Christmas time though so you'll need to pack some warm stuff!!

0 Not allowed!
      Ive been to incheon a few times and to be honest there is not much there to see. Its basically a purpose built town that was made pretty recently. Think even their slogan was "build it and they will come".

If you get the chance to do 1 thing in S korea I would say do the DMZ tour. Think its 2 hours from incheon

0 Not allowed!
      Thanks guys, once I know if got 15 hours or a couple days I'll re-read this

0 Not allowed!
      Just came back via Seoul yesterday. Have flown with Korean Air for the last couple of years, and Seoul is not a bad airport to spend a few hours. Theres even a hotel which you can use a room, min charge I think is 6 hours. Eat Korean bbq, drink Korean beer etc etc. To make it worth going into Seoul you need at least 24 hours I think, it can take a couple of hours worst case to get to Seoul from the airport.