Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Great Escape 2014 *** 8-10 May

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Royal Blood. Because they're my mates, because half of them (the drummer) is a die hard BHA fan, and because everything points to them being MASSIVE this time next year. See em in a small venue while you still can.

https://soundcloud.com/#royalblooduk

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You quite sure you've got those dates right? My memory says it was 16-18 May, but my memory often fails.

Just spotted that myself. You are right- but its 8-10 May! Could a mod change dates please (and have sent them message).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Royal Blood. Because they're my mates, because half of them (the drummer) is a die hard BHA fan, and because everything points to them being MASSIVE this time next year. See em in a small venue while you still can.

Will def look out for them. Look to be playing Friday 9th. When you find out detail, could you post time/venue. Thanks.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
From what I already know the picks for me are

Trans, Traams, Theo Verney, The Osciallation, patten, Pawws, Grumbling Fur, Mazes, Jon Hopkins, Wild Beasts, These New Puritans, Girl Band, His Clancyness, Fat White Family, Ezra Furman, East India Youth, Deathcrush, Autobahn, Aesigir.

I've got 82 bands on my long list at the moment. Need to get on with doing some research.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Trans, Traams, Theo Verney, The Osciallation, patten, Pawws, Grumbling Fur, Mazes, Jon Hopkins, Wild Beasts, These New Puritans, Girl Band, His Clancyness, Fat White Family, Ezra Furman, East India Youth, Deathcrush, Autobahn, Aesigir.

I've got 82 bands on my long list at the moment. Need to get on with doing some research.

Wow! What sort of music are you into? All sorts I'm guessing with that sized long list. For me, will be interested in most genres as long as not too heavy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wow! What sort of music are you into? All sorts I'm guessing with that sized long list. For me, will be interested in most genres as long as not too heavy.

Have a listen to SHC's weekly broadcasts on Radio Reverb. He posts links to these on NSC, in either the new album or live threads. It's as useful an introduction to what's new and about to happen in Brighton on the music front that you're likely to hear.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Also college band mates of mine. These New Puritans aren't worth bothering with in my opinion.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You were whingeing about the new Liars album, but I bought that Fat White Family thing, which is incredibly dull. Its dullness wouldn't get in the way of going to see them live, as I think they might be riotously fun.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I saw them at the NME awards tour in Bristol last week, and rather enjoyed them. Very impressive sound from a 2 piece band. Unfortunately the mic volumes were a bit low throughout the night so the vocals got a bit lost (maybe just where I was up on the balcony), especially noticed it during Interpol :(

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Have a listen to SHC's weekly broadcasts on Radio Reverb. He posts links to these on NSC, in either the new album or live threads. It's as useful an introduction to what's new and about to happen in Brighton on the music front that you're likely to hear.

Many thanks for that. Will do.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I saw them at the NME awards tour in Bristol last week, and rather enjoyed them. Very impressive sound from a 2 piece band. Unfortunately the mic volumes were a bit low throughout the night so the vocals got a bit lost (maybe just where I was up on the balcony), especially noticed it during Interpol :(

Was at the Brixton date and agree the vocals got lost EXCEPT for Interpol where they were clear. Interesting. Each venue has it's own acoustics of course.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Based on who i usually like/ have seen, then:

Jimi Goodwin
Pulled Apart By Horses
The Subways
The Hold Steady

Ive been out of the new music scene for some time now, so not sure which of the 'up and coming' bands are worth checking out. I've not done TGE for a few years, but it's given me the chance to see and meet some incredible bands like Metric, Iron & Wine, Future Of The Left, Cursive...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
These New Puritans aren't worth bothering with in my opinion.

Opinions eh? I'm looking forward to them the most. Hidden & Field of Reeds are exceptional I reckon. Having said that both took quite a bit of work on my part to reveal their brilliance.

I actively disliked their first and saw them loads on that tour as they supported British Sea Power (I was bit of a BSP fan boy at this point.) Haven't seen them since.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Thank you very much sir. I'll be doing a 2 hour TGE special a little closer to the time so I will keep an eye on this thread and will post it on this thread when it's done.

The show now forms part of my signature as well as the newly established facebook group.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You were whingeing about the new Liars album, but I bought that Fat White Family thing, which is incredibly dull. Its dullness wouldn't get in the way of going to see them live, as I think they might be riotously fun.

I maintain that the Liars record is the worst thing they've done by some distance. I still love Liars and they'll still be great live.

Is that Champagne Holocaust you picked up? As I remember there were some good moments and a fair bit of middling. This is a tune though

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thank you very much sir. I'll be doing a 2 hour TGE special a little closer to the time so I will keep an eye on this thread and will post it on this thread when it's done.

The show now forms part of my signature as well as the newly established facebook group.

I look forward to this. Often helps to hear a few bands before making final decisions. I have gone for a wild beasts/ these new puritans top up but may not use it as depends what else is on Friday Night. It's all very exciting and just over a month to go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here