Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brendan Rodgers

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It would NEVER happen, but I'd bloody LOVE him to be the next England boss.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It would NEVER happen, but I'd bloody LOVE him to be the next England boss.

Just like every other good manager England have employed, it never ends well because everyone blames the manager despite the obvious pattern that the manager makes no difference! Realistically England's squad is QF material, SF at a push if things fell our way.

Besides, he's untouchable at Liverpool and you'd have to be MAD to leave that job for a job as unstable as the England job.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Difficult one. Not sure he would get the coaching hours with the England team to really implement his approach successfully.

Agreed. Top manager though, always thought he'd do well despite some of the Liverpool fans writing him off early doors.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Been said but the problem he would have is lack of coaching hours.
However if he quit today for the world cup sturridge sterling gerrard flannagan henderson will all know the drill just need to teach 5 more outfield players how the system works.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The one factor in the Liverpool/Rodgers rise to success that isn't mentioned often is sports psychiatrist Steve Peters.

He of Team GB cycling fame, and The Chimp Paradox.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Peters_(psychiatrist)

Peters has been working closely with Suarez, and Liverpool as a whole, since Suarez' 'misdemeanours' last season.

I was listening to, probably, The Football Weekly, heaping praise on Sturridge's character turn around.
Unwittingly the team basically described Sturridge through Peters analytical approach to sport, without crediting Peters.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seems to have turned Liverpool around that is for sure. Whether he could do it with England is another matter, besides, he is still very young for the worst job in the world.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think the way he has tactically outwitted some of his counterparts has been very clever. Big, big tests to come with City and Chelsea but massively exceeded expectations this year

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Liverpool is a bigger job than England these days. He should only go to England once either A) Won a fair bit at Liverpool or B) England have a decent chance of winning a tournament.

If he jumped too early he'd fail to get a big club after England, but if he had the history of doing well in club football, whatever happened at England level he'd land a good job somewhere when returned to club scene.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do remember reading that Redknpapp admitted (in his book apparently) to discussing Rodgers becoming his number 2 when he got the England job.

As an aside Rodgers does seem to be a breath of fresh air. Was all that Suarez nonsense on his watch though?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Evra complaint? No, Dalglish.

Yes. I guessed it might have been Dalglsh; I cannot imagine Rodgers letting the team trot out in those crass t-shirts.

Good luck to Liverpool I say. I dont really care too much for the football club but the way the city fought to get justice for the Hillsborough 96 was admirable and a lesson to us all. They had sections of the press, the government and the police all against them but they still won. And the city has always been friendly to me when I have visited.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yes. I guessed it might have been Dalglsh; I cannot imagine Rodgers letting the team trot out in those crass t-shirts.

Good luck to Liverpool I say. I dont really care too much for the football club but the way the city fought to get justice for the Hillsborough 96 was admirable and a lesson to us all. They had sections of the press, the government and the police all against them but they still won. And the city has always been friendly to me when I have visited.

Maybe it wasn't a good idea but they believed he was innocent. As much as I'd like racists to be punished there was so much leaning in that case from Ferguson's United it just doesn't seem to be balanced, and I guess Liverpool were showing support (again, probably not the best way of doing it but the black players were happy to do so too).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why would Rodgers leave a job, a club and a city where he is held in high esteem for the poisoned chalice that is the England job? Everybody in the country knows that the whole England set up needs a major overhaul but the impatience of fans, fuelled by the tabloids ensures we are stuck with what we've got for the foreseeable future. Rodgers, if he does things properly, has the potential to be a legend at Liverpool. Compare to having his face photoshopped on to a vegetable and being pilloried in The Scum for losing to Spain, Germany, Brazil, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here