Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus threatens to walk out of Sunderland...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just lost ten minutes of my life, mesmerised by 'Tufty's avatar.

441[1].gif

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Interesting the spin that can be given to the same quote by two newspapers in their headlines

The Shields Gazette: - I’ll quit if my team gives up

The Telegraph:- Gus Poyet refuses to give up fight for Premier League survival

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Gus who?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Everton don't seem to have that worry.

One of the people we're talking about is a level headed, sensible, non-egoistical person. The other is Poyet.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Bet he is fuming that the players are jeopardising his plan of moving to Tottenham in the summer

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Non story when you read it in full. Reporter asks him if his team is going to give up and he replies in lovely Gus style. At least he is frank, open and honest. I'd like to see more of that from Oscar.

Story in full:

SUNDERLAND boss Goyet remains defiant that his side will keep on fighting – otherwise he’ll walk away.

Poyet cut a disconsolate figure as a must-win game against West Ham ended in a defeat which left his side four points adrift of Premier League safety with eight games to play.

Sunderland lost 2-1 at the Stadium of Light to leave them staring relegation in the face.

However, Poyet remained defiant as he considered the task ahead.

He said: “Look, if my team gives up, I will leave. Nobody will need to sack me, I will leave on my own, so if you see this team giving up before the end of the season, you won’t see me here.”

Sunderland have now won only one of their last nine home league games and taken just a single point from the last 18 they have contested.

Asked if the Black Cats could stay up, Poyet said: “Well, if we play like we played against Liverpool and today in the next eight games, we are going to have a great chance.

“Now the crystal ball, I can tell you, is not in my house, so I am not going to try to read the future because I’m not very good at that.”

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Non story when you read it in full. Reporter asks him if his team is going to give up and he replies in lovely Gus style. At least he is frank, open and honest. I'd like to see more of that from Oscar.

Story in full:

SUNDERLAND boss Goyet remains defiant that his side will keep on fighting – otherwise he’ll walk away.

Poyet cut a disconsolate figure as a must-win game against West Ham ended in a defeat which left his side four points adrift of Premier League safety with eight games to play.

Sunderland lost 2-1 at the Stadium of Light to leave them staring relegation in the face.

However, Poyet remained defiant as he considered the task ahead.

He said: “Look, if my team gives up, I will leave. Nobody will need to sack me, I will leave on my own, so if you see this team giving up before the end of the season, you won’t see me here.”

Sunderland have now won only one of their last nine home league games and taken just a single point from the last 18 they have contested.

Asked if the Black Cats could stay up, Poyet said: “Well, if we play like we played against Liverpool and today in the next eight games, we are going to have a great chance.

“Now the crystal ball, I can tell you, is not in my house, so I am not going to try to read the future because I’m not very good at that.”

otherwise read, so I can bail out and not be tainted with relegated in post!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Patently starting to lay the groundwork for his World Cup pundit gig. Watch for the big dramatic flounce out of Sunderland when he conveniently deems his team not to be trying any more.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Don't necessarily see much of a problem with managing a club that gets relegated. It doesn't reflect badly on Poyet any more than it did for Coppell when he managed us in 2002/03. It's not as if Poyet took a club that was mid-table to the bottom.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Did anyone else notice the new Gus tactics last night? Several 'Rory Delap' style long throws into the box from near the corner flag, and even Mannone coming up for a corner near the end. Two things he vowed never to do when he was with us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here