Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cologne

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Find a lovely old pub called the Walfisch, it's in the old town. Order the Jaegerschnitzel. Wash that down with Koelsch (vast Steins are fine for vulgar Bavarians and tourists, whereas Koelsch is a wondrous, delicate beer served - repeatedly - in small glasses). Then come back on here to thank me.

Oh and to work that off, climb the cathedral tower. Great city.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
My Dad used to use this

4711.jpg

or was it my Mum?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
avoid the bars- v expensive when I went, was about £4 a pint, if you could find a place that sold that big measures, even a few years back.

And take CASH - Germany in general seemed to be anti cards..

If you have a head for heights, the big Dom cathedral is worth the tight staircase climb..

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Just come back from a stag do I organised for 17 blokes. We saw none of it sadly so cant give sensible advice. however, yes always drink out of the small glasses. (come in trays of 20 which is handy) don't go to the 'beer museum' its a ropey tourist trap. There is a brilliant jazz bar near there but no idea what it is called but try and find it, its worth it. The biggest brothel and lap-dancing club is called Pasha and is a short taxi ride away. everyone is lovely and they never cross the street until the green man lights up - no matter the traffic, very civilized.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
When we were last in Cologne there were bike bars going around the streets. They were basically for stag dos.

There were two rows of six blokes facing each other with a bar and bar man in the middle. The 12 blokes had to cycle, facing 90 degrees from the road but bike bar moved forward, and drink at the same time.
Hard to explain but surprised they never caught on here as the blokes were having great fun as they went through the city centre singing their heads off.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Just come back from a stag do I organised for 17 blokes. We saw none of it sadly so cant give sensible advice. however, yes always drink out of the small glasses. (come in trays of 20 which is handy) don't go to the 'beer museum' its a ropey tourist trap. There is a brilliant jazz bar near there but no idea what it is called but try and find it, its worth it. The biggest brothel and lap-dancing club is called Pasha and is a short taxi ride away. everyone is lovely and they never cross the street until the green man lights up - no matter the traffic, very civilized.

Sad to hear as when i went the Beer Museum was a quality Pub .

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
A few pubs in the Alstadt behind the Catherdral for you,Fruh Am Dom Am Hof 50667,Gaffel House ,Alter Markt 20 22 ,Peters Brauhaus ,Mulhengasse 1 ,Brauren Zu Malzmuhle ,Heumarket 3 ,Alt Koln am Dom ,Trankgasse 7 -9.Also a few plastic Oirish pubs if that's your cup of tea enjoy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
avoid the bars- v expensive when I went, was about £4 a pint, if you could find a place that sold that big measures, even a few years back.

And take CASH - Germany in general seemed to be anti cards..

If you have a head for heights, the big Dom cathedral is worth the tight staircase climb..

Agree about the cathedral climb and view, amazing. £4 a pint sounds reasonable, no different to round here really. I once saw a Ted Nugent concert in Cologne when I lived just over the border in Holland.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lovely city. Check out the Gerhard Richter stained glass window in The Dom; my favorite work of art.

Dandyman

In London village.
Top place and decent friendly people. Do go to the top of the Dom if you get the chance, the view is fantastic.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The beer there is excellent.

To be honest, it's not one of my favourite German cities, but as others have said The Dom is stunning.

turnstiler

Ex North Stand Turnstiler
Mar 6, 2009
Cologne, Germany
Hey guys am going to Cologne for bit of business ;) anyone been? Where should I go? man u Bayern wed will have to support the hosts ;) stein stein stein (spelt wrong no doubt)

Hi Randsta. Where will you be staying and how long for?

When we were last in Cologne there were bike bars going around the streets. They were basically for stag dos.

There were two rows of six blokes facing each other with a bar and bar man in the middle. The 12 blokes had to cycle, facing 90 degrees from the road but bike bar moved forward, and drink at the same time.
Hard to explain but surprised they never caught on here as the blokes were having great fun as they went through the city centre singing their heads off.

We hired one for my stag do in Munich a few years ago. Great fun, especially as I got to play barman.

Re Cologne, it's true about them waiting for the green man. Our group got shouted at by some locals for jay walking. :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here