Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So perhaps Barnesy was not so bad after all…

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I have no doubts whatsoever that we would now be comfortably in a play-off place if Ashley Barnes was still at the club. He would have buried that penalty for a start. Still, the fans got what they wanted and forced him out of the club – congratulations!

Hope to see him come back to the Amex and scoring against us (as long as we win 2-1!).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I was gutted when we sold him. Gutted. He's going to do very well for himself indeed and prove himself to be a top half Championship striker.

There are some utter morons in Albion's support.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I have no doubts whatsoever that we would now be comfortably in a play-off place if Ashley Barnes was still at the club. He would have buried that penalty for a start. Still, the fans got what they wanted and forced him out of the club – congratulations!

Hope to see him come back to the Amex and scoring against us (as long as we win 2-1!).

I think Barnes has missed more penalty's for BHA than Ulloa. I don't think anyone forced him out of the club, he left becuase he did not want to sign a new contract at the club and chose to move elsewhere.

I have watched Barnes for nealy 4 seasons and to suggest that we are outside the play off's because he left is pretty stupid. He was with us from Aug till Jan and we wern't in the playy off places then.

I watched him play on Saturday and he did not look like scoring. He has only scored one goal for Burnley since his move in Jan (I know he has been kept out of the side by two inform strikers). Lets see how many goals he gets now he will be starting every game due to injury's to Ings & Volks.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think we are missing having a viable alternative to/support for Ulloa rather than Barnes specifically.

Can't criticise the club for selling him when he didn't want to sign the deal on offer. But they should have secured a replacement who was of at least a similar ability. I guess you could argue that on paper Lingard looked like a player who could fill that gap.

Never been a huge fan of Barnes, but yes, we could do with the option of him off the bench at least at the moment. I just don't think the club could realistically turn down the rumoured £750,000 fee only to lose him for nothing at the end of the season. That £14.7million loss puts a certain degree of pressure on these type of playing decisions.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London

Thanks, I would have been part of that party, AB wasn't a midfielder and not good enough to play upfront in the championship on his own, blame Oscar for not playing the squad to its strengths instead of the fans. Got good money for him in the Jan window too, good business all round

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we are missing having a viable alternative to/support for Ulloa rather than Barnes specifically.

Can't criticise the club for selling him when he didn't want to sign the deal on offer. But they should have secured a replacement who was of at least a similar ability.

You can if they were offering him a pittance. We have no clue so can't judge whether to blame the club or player.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We had a hypothetical conversation in the pub Sunday along the lines of, if Murray and Barnes were still our strike force this season, I personally think we could be up where Burnley are in the league. All completely irrelevant I know, but......

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I was gutted when we sold him. Gutted. He's going to do very well for himself indeed and prove himself to be a top half Championship striker.

There are some utter morons in Albion's support[/B].

And the truth shall be said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jim Carrey >>>>> Liar Liar !!!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have no doubts whatsoever that we would now be comfortably in a play-off place if Ashley Barnes was still at the club.

I doubt he would have made much difference. We would have been more able to rest Ulloa I suppose. More important was Grabban not signing. I do have doubts though.

He would have buried that penalty for a start.

Yea. Right.

He might also have spent the last eight games sitting in the stands. Like last season. Who knows.

Still, the fans got what they wanted and forced him out of the club – congratulations!

And that, frankly, is complete tosh. If you want to blame anyone - blame the Club. It was a financial decision.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have watched Barnes for nealy 4 seasons and to suggest that we are outside the play off's because he left is pretty stupid. He was with us from Aug till Jan and we wern't in the play off places then.

I think you will find he has improved greatly since he choose to leave. He has not missed a chance (or a penalty) for us since that date.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Love Ashley Barnes, but when the problem we have is not taking most of our chances to score, Ashley Barnes is not the man to turn that around, that was his trade mark.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The OP's claim that the fans got what they wanted is, of course, bollocks. A vocal small minority got on his back but most fair minded fans accepted he was a decent championship player. He did a good job for Poyet in that left defensive role and he could slot a few goals now and again. However, Burnley offered him more than we were prepared to pay and so the club cashed in rather than let him go in the summer for a freebie. He's hardly pulling up trees at Burnley is he?

I am a Barnes fan btw.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I didn't like Barnes and I didn't think he was a very good player. That said, I think is is a far better player than David Rodrigeuz. So in effect we are a weaker side now, than we were when Barnes was here. Same goes for Bridcutt and El Abd, Stephens is a different player than Bridcutt and El Abd has not been replaced at all....All in all we are a far weaker side than we were 12 months ago and we are weaker now than we were in December. So it's no surprise what is happening at the moment. You can't replace good players with average players and expect improvement.

Addiseagull

Nov 30, 2005

Bang on. Barnes was/is a top class Championship striker. All the BHAFC Barnes haters - you do not have a clue!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Barnes only scores six for us though (this season), and he was mostly our first choice option. He did miss many chances, and always caused frustration on here. He always gave 100% commitment though, and I liked him as a player. But because of his record, you can understand why we let him go, his contract running out probably forced our hand. The most disappointing thing about Barnes leaving though is his replacements, both of whom have failed to score. If Rod or Lingard scored 5 between them by now, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The Barnes Boo Boys are a load of lobbos but they had no influence whatsoever on the club's decision not to retain Barnes.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Bang on. Barnes was/is a top class Championship striker. All the BHAFC Barnes haters - you do not have a clue!

I am not a Barnes hater, but I am not a lover either. He has scored 25 (a few of thesse were pens) goals in 113 championship games. Hardly the stats of a top class striker. I am sure you will tell me that these stats lie and the reason people like me are not massive Barnes fans is becuase we are not inteliigent enough to notice his all round game. It is only football connoisseur's like yourself that can truly appreciate his skill's.

I like my strikers to score goals. If Barnes had stayed and carried on scoring at a rate of 1 goal every 4.5 games, then he would have scored 3 goals for us since he lift in Jan. Whilst 3 goals would have come in very handy in that time, I dont think we would be breathing down Leicester's necks if he had stayed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here