Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester fans – "Pearson Out!"

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Immediately after their humiliating exit from the play-offs last May – this following a season-ending slump, with play-off placing secured only at the last-minute – the Leicester message boards were stuffed full of foul-mouthed invitations for Nigel Pearson to clear off. He had obviously lost the dressing room, the plot and, quite possibly, his marbles. He clearly was not fit to take charge of an underperforming Subbuteo team, and his inept attempts at management had forever disgraced their beloved club. His continued tenure would have been an insult to all those long-suffering, loyal Leicester fans.

Evidently, the Leicester board saw things somewhat differently.

Where would that club be now, had they followed the advice then of all those thousands of instant-gratification-addicted supporters?

Nobody's suggesting that Oscar Garcia's position is identical to Pearson's a year ago. But history shows that it's not always a good idea to respond to knee-jerk reactions, and that a longer view can sometimes bring far greater rewards.

Oscar Out? Really?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A genius post, with one small error: it was last May, not last April.
Football used to provide the working man with an opportunity to let off steam and escape from overwork for 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon. It now seems to provide the precariat or immaterial labourer with the opportunity to vent their spleen -- at their own, improving club -- 168 hours a week.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is a perfectly fair comparison, and one I raised on the other thread earlier.

I do think Pearson is very clearly a strong character, so there was basis for the decision after he himself decided he was up for the challenge of going again after the disappointment.

Not saying Oscar doesn't have that character, but maybe we haven't seen it yet.

As I have said before, he has done some good things, kept the dressing room on track after the departure of Poyet and got results out of a team shorn of a lot of players by injury.

If there are question marks it is obviously three defeats in eight days at a vital time, motivational ability, and the players he has actually managed (or not managed, perhaps) to bring in so far.

But unless Van Gaal wants to come here at £500k a year, he should get another crack at it next season for sure.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It is a perfectly fair comparison, and one I raised on the other thread earlier.

I do think Pearson is very clearly a strong character, so there was basis for the decision after he himself decided he was up for the challenge of going again after the disappointment.

As I have said before, he has done some good things, kept the dressing room on track after the departure of Poyet and got results out of a team shorn of a lot of players by injury.

If there are question marks it is obviously three defeats in eight days at a vital time, motivational ability, and the players he has actually managed (or not managed, perhaps) to bring in so far.

But unless Van Gaal wants to come here at £500k a year, he should get another crack at it next season for sure.

I'd broadly go along with that

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's just standard NSC.

3 defeats = sack the manager
3 wins = we're going to win the league

It will always be the same.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am not in the Oscar Out camp yet. If he can get it right, brilliant.

Don't necessarily buy into a lot of the excuses, if that is the right word, for our recent form. Injuries certainly have played a part. Anyone can see that. But our approach to games has been frustrating at times regardless of player availability.

But not calling for his head by any means. Just would quite like to see us showing a few more signs of progression, however gradual, over the coming weeks. If we manage that and a top ten finish, I'll be happy for him to continue next season.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I see the situation a little differently in that we have both Oscar and Nathan. Now Oscar clearly has language shortcomings and maybe some motivational but is this not Nathan's area to step in. Could it be that Nathan is falling a little short rather than Oscar ?

Overall so far the season has been one of success with some shortcomings. As GP said 'careful what you wish for'.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

It is a completely fair comparison - but again and again the question is, where do you get the optimism from about us 'turning it round?' I have seen NOTHING this year that makes me believe that we are the top-six side that the club management believe we should be, despite our league position.

It's nothing to do with the last 3 games, I've felt like this since about November.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

People have questioned this before...but with the lure of the play offs i can't see players needing motivating....now after 3 defeats thats when they need a kick up the backside...so this season doesn't end up a damp squib (below mid table)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is a completely fair comparison - but again and again the question is, where do you get the optimism from about us 'turning it round?' I have seen NOTHING this year that makes me believe that we are the top-six side that the club management believe we should be, despite our league position.

It's nothing to do with the last 3 games, I've felt like this since about November.

To be honest, I'm with you. I didn't say anything about being certain he'd turn it around above, and I'm not sure he will. We haven't looked like a top-six side this season, but if we don't before Christmas next season I would be more sure that was mostly down to Garcia. I think he deserves that chance, but who knows, if someone really good becomes available maybe the board would think about it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
May? There were plenty of Leicester fans questioning Pearson's position after they were comprehensively beaten at the Amex this season.

They haven't lost since :cry:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Nobody's suggesting that Oscar Garcia's position is identical to Pearson's a year ago.

No, quite right. Garcia's probably in a better position than Pearson was at the end of last season. People's kneejerking is because they like to feel that they are exerting a level of influence over something they have absolutely no control over.

Garcia may not work out. Truthfully most managers don't but there's no point in turning on him now. Personally I think the end of the season would be premature for turning but I'd at least understand it then.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I dont want OG to leave but I am not happy with the way things are going at the moment. I don't think we have underachieved this season, I think our league position is about right for the squad we have and our budget compared to other teams. I am getting very annoyed with our style of play. I have been watching the seagulls since the late 80's and the only other time I can remember the football being so dull is during the Wilkins era. The football has been worse in the past (barry lloyd's last season and jeff wood) but very rarely has it been this boring. I feel I have only been entertained during about 5 home games this season.

It dose not always mean we have to win for the game to be entertaining. The Wigan game made very good viewing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think I'm forced to say that if we do make the playoffs this season, it doesn't really say much for the standard of teams in our league. Can anyone seriously say that we're a top six side, playing the way we have this season? I guess that if we win all our remaining games, we might just about be able to say we're worthy of that accolade. Obviously, if we do win all our remaining games, we will be in the playoffs, and I'll be as excited as any fan about our prospects, but the truth is that we're playing like a mid-table side, and that's where I expect us to end up - ie somewhere around where we currently are.

I don't think either Leicester or the Albion making the play-offs is failure, so obviously those fans were wrong last May.

But both Leicester and the Albion missing out on the play-offs is failure and if Pearson had done that this season, he'd have been sacked and probably rightly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here