Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs Way

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
You should average 2 miles an hour. We walked all the South Downs Way few years ago section by section .106 miles took 9 days.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Conventional wisdom is, do it West to East; saves walking into the prevailing wind for 100 miles, at least in theory. There was a thread about average speeds a few years ago, I think - I reckon, all things being equal, once you get into your stride you should manage 3mph as it's easy going underfoot. Obviously depends on a number of other factors too, of course, like fitness. And blisters.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
You should average 2 miles an hour. We walked all the South Downs Way few years ago section by section .106 miles took 9 days.

That's slow. In two hours i expect to cover around 6-7 miles.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Last summer, I walked from Eastbourne station to Devils Dyke with a friend. Stops for lunch (cracking sandwich from Alfriston Post Office/Shop), a rest to enjoy the scenery or the odd ice cream. I would say we were ambling along nicely, nothing too arduous.

First leg was Eastbourne Station to Southease (http://www.walkingclub.org.uk/book_3/walk_25/index.shtml) 16.5 miles

Second day was Southease to Devil's Dyke which was about 16 miles again I think, but a slightly tougher walk in that there is a steep climb at the end to mount the top of Devil's Dyke. I felt we could have gone further, but it was a baking day and the topless 77 was too much temptation.

You can get lots of useful information from here - http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way

Do it. It's great fun (if you have the right company!).

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did the whole thing in 12 hours as part of a relay but I'd think anything even approaching 3mph is ambitious for walking from Eastbourne. The Seven Sisters are going to slow you up. Also depends on which pubs you pass/stop in :)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I Ran all of it in 14 hours mind you that was a few years ago now it would that me a week or more

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Bear in mind the South Downs Way runs in a loop from Eastbourne: the northern path goes via Jevington and Wilmington to Alfriston; the southern route goes via Beachy Head, Birling Gap, Seven Sisters, Exceat, Friston Forest then Alfriston.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The Seven Sisters slow you down somewhat.

Yes, it's about 1mph over those! I'd say allow 2 mph for the whole thing, which allows for stop offs, diversions etc. The Firle Beacon to Cuckmere Haven stretch is stunning. Don't forget to go to Lullington Church, near Alfriston. Beautiful spot.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I Ran all of it in 14 hours mind you that was a few years ago now it would that me a week or more

106 very hilly miles in 14 hours! That's 4 non stop marathons at 3 hours 35 mins per marathon at 7.5 miles per hour. Are you Mo Farah's brother?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I did the whole walk in seven days, I did quite a lot of preparation including walking from Worthing to Brighton with a 20KG weight in my Ruck-sack a week before. Ultimately though my feet were a mess when I got to Eastbourne but it's a great experience :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here