Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

How disruptive WAS the summer to Oscar/Albion's preparations?

0 Not allowed!
    Right, before I get going, I am NOT in the Oscar Out camp. More the Remain to be Convinced camp.

But keep reading how he didn't get a proper pre-season to work with the players and that the club was in turmoil when he arrived.

From what I can see online, Oscar was appointed head coach on June 26 and that the players had been due to return from summer a couple of days before. However - and I may be wrong here - the Albion didn't leave for the summer training camp until around July 14. I appreciate he won't have necessary prepared fully for pre-season, but it looks like he was in place when the player returned, give or take a couple of days when presumably they would have been largely undergoing physical examinations and tests etc.

We re-signed Upson, secured Ward as a replacement for Bridge, who has been perhaps one of our most consistent performers. Vicente left, but had hardly played. The squad remained largely intact on the season before. The budget increased on the year before.

Obviously suffered from injuries since and - as I said - I am not calling for his sacking - but are we perhaps over-estimating how much impact the Poyet saga had on Oscar's preparations? Contrary to what lots of people say, he does seem to have had pretty much a full pre-season to work with the players.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Which is what I've been saying and now Oscar has had 9 months to input his style and tactics on the team, it is concerning that our best performances at home were at the beginning of the season and the longer Oscar has had coaching the poorer the performances have been especially at home.

Why do people want to give him more time ?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think fans would have been anywhere near as excited if we had appointed say, an old Manchester United youth team coach who had had one good season in somewhere like Switzerland or Scotland.

A lot of fans got over-excited by the Barcelona link.

0 Not allowed!
      I can see how it might have disrupted the beginning of season but little more. I'm not sure how much he missed either but my understanding of a lot of pre season is about getting back in shape, fitness levels up and building stamina. I guess Oscar and team might have their own ways but marginal how much impact it had.

Steve McLaren or Uwe Rosler didn't have the benefit either

0 Not allowed!
      I think the injuries have been the biggest disruption to our season rather than all the Poyet / pre-season stuff.
      For Those About To Rock....... We Salute You
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I wonder how much having a preseason to get through with players who maybe aren't sure about you and so maybe aren't sure about your approach counts against someone.

I mean, Moyes joined united and they are a team of players with premier league titled, champions league titled, FA cups, league cups, what has moyes done to be able to command their respect? With a pre-season that scepticism will take hold and be something that needs to be overcome.

Whereas Steven mcclaren has managed in the premier league and the international team, will be able to command the respect of a championship team immediately, and because he joined when the season was underway there were matches to prepare for, and no time to sit and question him.

Oscar would probably be in that moyes camp, players unsure of why they should just accept him and his ways. Poyet was a premier league player who knew English football, his way worked, why change it to this guy who only managed kids and some low ranking Israeli league?

I would think the fall out of gus going was probably more of an issue than the "lack" of preseason, because it fed into that scepticism.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jabsco View Post
      Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think fans would have been anywhere near as excited if we had appointed say, an old Manchester United youth team coach who had had one good season in somewhere like Switzerland or Scotland.

A lot of fans got over-excited by the Barcelona link.
      Re the Barcelona link..you are correct in that so many people commented on the possibility of signing Barcelona b players etc....under our setup that was never going to happen
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
      and i would very much have liked Rosler too.

The preparation is clearly a poor excuse, as its the manner of defeats that the problem. and the tactics (which are not Barcalona's) which seem to be blunted. there was a great deal of expectation, not just because of connections but reputation in the game. Barca's fans were expecting him to go back there and be groomed as a future manager. the only thing i can see he has in his defense at this stage is the personnel aren't his preferred players or play to his style. but loans haven't really made much impact and again the manner of defeats suggest another problem.

I'd be willing to give him another season, but the attitude needs to be seen to change, otherwise we might as well have another clear out and start a fresh 1st June.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

0 Not allowed!
      The biggest disruption is that: (1) he is a Barcelona disciple and it's still to be proven whether the Swansea model can be replicated i.e. can you pass your way out of the Championship, or how long will it take to build a squad that can pass its way out of the Championship; (2) he has never worked in the English game before; (3) his English appears to be limited - but improving and (4) we've played the entire season with a mis-firing/injured strike force and mis-firing/injured midfield.

And it would be stupid to underestimate the hangover from an acrimonious break up with our charismatic, personality-driven ex supremo who basically screwed up in the play-off semis.

But we're still, miraculously, not out of the play-offs and we have been introduced to Ince, Solly etc.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
      I wonder how much having a preseason to get through with players who maybe aren't sure about you and so maybe aren't sure about your approach counts against someone.

I mean, Moyes joined united and they are a team of players with premier league titled, champions league titled, FA cups, league cups, what has moyes done to be able to command their respect? With a pre-season that scepticism will take hold and be something that needs to be overcome.

Whereas Steven mcclaren has managed in the premier league and the international team, will be able to command the respect of a championship team immediately, and because he joined when the season was underway there were matches to prepare for, and no time to sit and question him.

Oscar would probably be in that moyes camp, players unsure of why they should just accept him and his ways. Poyet was a premier league player who knew English football, his way worked, why change it to this guy who only managed kids and some low ranking Israeli league?

I would think the fall out of gus going was probably more of an issue than the "lack" of preseason, because it fed into that scepticism.
      This and the fact that a number of players will have been "pro" Poyet and a number will have been "anti" - Vicente's comments made it clear that Gus had a certain personality in the dressing room that you either got or didn't. This will have been massively unsettling for the players and the team as a whole as I imagine a number of friendships were strained and new ones formed as a result.