Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pay for your NHS

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
One assumes the person behind this idea some wealthy upper class toff and is a tax avoider/evader so doesn't realise that it is taxes and NI that pays for the NHS already, and those of us who work, and pay our taxes, already pay every month. Nob.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
One assumes the person behind this idea some wealthy upper class toff and is a tax avoider/evader so doesn't realise that it is taxes and NI that pays for the NHS already, and those of us who work, and pay our taxes, already pay every month. Nob.

Exactly this. Saves me the job of typing basically the above. As far as I was aware, its not usual to pay for any product twice?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

It could equally be argued that the NHS is funded entirely from national borrowing.

The UK national debt is increasing by about £120 billion per year - the NHS costs about £110 billion per annum.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
It could equally be argued that the NHS is funded entirely from national borrowing.

The UK national debt is increasing by about £120 billion per year - the NHS costs about £110 billion per annum.

How much is it estimated that tax avoiders/evaders don't pay?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of tax avoiders etc if it keeps the NHS afloat, protecting services and jobs, £10 a month isnt a lot to ask is it?

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of tax avoiders etc if it keep the NHS afloat, protecting services and jobs, £10 a month isnt a lot to ask is it?

The thing is Len, if it did go ahead, and all 33.6M UK workers paid it, yes, it would raise £4B a year, but they'd still say it wasn't enough, and the the NHS would probably buy a monument, relocate into several floors of the Shard and buy some art with it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

one assumes people would at least read the first paragraphs to discover who and what is suggested. It a Labour peer (tax status unknown) who's suggesting the same model used for fire and police funding. personally i dont like it much but someone got to start thinking how to continue to fund the NHS because its bloody expensive.

D

Deleted member 22389

Under funded and over used. Shouldn't apply to pensioners who have contributed all their life, shouldn't apply to people who have made contributed to the system for 10+ years either.
Payment should apply to new users of the system.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Poll Tax Mark 2.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Utter bullsh*t. We pay already through tax and NI. If they need more money, raise taxes. Be brave and just do it. Forget the elections and do what you think is right. God I hate these self-serving F*ckrudders. Membership? Membership?!! It's not a f***ing gym - it's our Nation Health Service - One of the few things that makes Britain 'Great'. We should be proud of it and we should fight these spineless skittle-titted cretins tooth and claw every step of the way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Originally dentists, opticians and prescriptions were free on the NHS. It was deemed too expensive to run and so we had to pay.

Why are the Welsh & Scots getting free presciptions when we still have to pay? Cutting that benefit would keep costs down.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
one assumes people would at least read the first paragraphs to discover who and what is suggested. It a Labour peer (tax status unknown) who's suggesting the same model used for fire and police funding. personally i dont like it much but someone got to start thinking how to continue to fund the NHS because its bloody expensive.

Its a former labour health minister actually.

Does being Labour make it all OK then?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately a lot of people in this country wouldn't be able to afford it. The government are doing everything they can to sway the public into thinking that privatisation of the NHS is a good idea. The NHS is the most important service in the country, bar none, and there are other ways we can save it which are far more reasonable than this ridiculous "subscription fee" idea.

Are you saying everyone who works in this country and pays tax and NI wouldnt miss another £2.50 a week going out at source?

As I said we can debate the rights and wrongs of it but its less than the price of a pint a week to save the NHS, as Phil points out £4billion a year is a lot of money, think how much good it could do within the NHS?

What would be the alternative scenario if the NHS went to the wall?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
It would be the thin end of the wedge. Soften people up with a nice low starting figure of £10 a month. The consensus will be: "Its not a lot to pay etc etc". Then year on year, watch the "subscription" prices skyrocket through the roof. Don't expect a reduction in tax or NI though.

Remember when Sky Sports first started to show the Premier League? Three quid a month back then. As it was promoted back then - "Less than the price of a pint". How much a month is it now? Bit more than a pint. Completely different industry but the same logic would apply. I dread to think what the NHS 'subscriptions' would be in 20 years time?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It's the anniversary of the Poll Tax Riots today..

Saturday, 31 March 1990. The Fall of Thatcher.

And paved the way for Blair and his cronies to all but bring this country to its knees, and send lots of brave youngsters to their deaths overseas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here