Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Oscar stamped his name on the side?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm a long way from being in the Oscar out camp, but I was thinking about the difference between him and Gus today and the big thing for me is that he just hasn't stamped his authority or style of play on the team.

Other than knowing that he likes to play one up front with two support wingers/forwards/full backs how has he made his mark on the team.

Gus came in and changed the whole philosophy, we all knew what it was, it was clear, pass pass pass pass and occasionally shoot. He acquired his own players, his style and it was very clear. Critics may argue he was lacking a plan B but his Plan A was very clear.

With Oscar and Jones (you have to include the latter as he is clearly far more influencial than any number 2 has ever been), I am not really sure what they are doing. At times they do the pass pass pass bit. But others they are lobbing it up and expecting Ulloa to hold on to against three or four defenders with no support.

With Gus he acquired players who he wanted to play in his style. Who has Oscar acquired to cement hi style of play? Andrews? Ward? Stephens? Obika? Lita? I'm struggling to see what this means. What is he adding. We all believed that we would be going the Barcleona way, but we about ten times further away from that than we did last season.

Yes injuries have played a part but you look through the team, and indiivdually we are weaker, with new signings much weaker than their counterparts from last season. And players that did well under Gus now a shadow of the player they were last season. Only Bruno and Upson are back to the best that they were last season. All others look weaker than last season.

I'm not for changing managers at a whim and would give him this summer to reinvent his style, but it does feel like this season has been largely wasted, as we have gone backwards on the pitch. He needs to stamp his mark on the team and make it an Oscar team. At the moment it very much looks like a Jones team to me, standard English Championship dullness. No flair, no pace, nothing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Unfortunatley, yes he has.

I'm not in the Oscar out camp, but I do want him to start to change things. For a start, counter attack - move the ball forward - see the runs players are making - buy an attacking midfielder (dare I say, in the mould of a certain 'dagger')

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Would not take much to fix , but for now

stock-vector-set-of-grunge-rubber-stamp-with-word-out-of-date-inside-vector-illustration-1243846.jpg

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
He has unfortunately, the stamp of " oh dear !!!! "

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
It seems to me that one of the reasons for getting rid of Poyet was that it had become too much 'his' side. Obviously they wanted to go for a more collective approach.

Personally I'm not sure I like it, and we're hearing more from our award-winning CEO than we are from the person who's meant to be in charge of the football team. So to me it's not surprising that Oscar doesn't appear to have stamped his name on the side. Maybe this is the new reality of football, but in our case I don't think we can honestly say we've improved this season. I don't think there's much reason to think we'll improve next season, either, to be honest.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I'm a long way from being in the Oscar out camp, but I was thinking about the difference between him and Gus today and the big thing for me is that he just hasn't stamped his authority or style of play on the team.

Other than knowing that he likes to play one up front with two support wingers/forwards/full backs how has he made his mark on the team.

Gus came in and changed the whole philosophy, we all knew what it was, it was clear, pass pass pass pass and occasionally shoot. He acquired his own players, his style and it was very clear. Critics may argue he was lacking a plan B but his Plan A was very clear.

With Oscar and Jones (you have to include the latter as he is clearly far more influencial than any number 2 has ever been), I am not really sure what they are doing. At times they do the pass pass pass bit. But others they are lobbing it up and expecting Ulloa to hold on to against three or four defenders with no support.

With Gus he acquired players who he wanted to play in his style. Who has Oscar acquired to cement hi style of play? Andrews? Ward? Stephens? Obika? Lita? I'm struggling to see what this means. What is he adding. We all believed that we would be going the Barcleona way, but we about ten times further away from that than we did last season.

Yes injuries have played a part but you look through the team, and indiivdually we are weaker, with new signings much weaker than their counterparts from last season. And players that did well under Gus now a shadow of the player they were last season. Only Bruno and Upson are back to the best that they were last season. All others look weaker than last season.

I'm not for changing managers at a whim and would give him this summer to reinvent his style, but it does feel like this season has been largely wasted, as we have gone backwards on the pitch. He needs to stamp his mark on the team and make it an Oscar team. At the moment it very much looks like a Jones team to me, standard English Championship dullness. No flair, no pace, nothing.

I could not have articulated my feelings any better.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I don't think he has had the opportunity. Never really been able to select a settled team, lack of pace (bar Buckley), injuries and sales of key people. He is clearly frustrated with what some of the team are doing but is stuck until the summer because we have no real depth in our squad and he was not helped in January.

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012

Don't you think the problem is that it's not his team? Gus had an idea about how his team should play, and he personally brought in players that would fit into his team and squad. As far as I'm aware, Oscar can only select players chosen for him by the two 'wonder' boys in the boardroom and possibly Jones. This was never going to work. It seems we've gone backwards. Bloom should give Oscar free reign to the football side of the club, and only Bloom should decide if we can afford Oscar's choice of player. Oscar brought his coaches with him, I don't understand Jones role - What is his purpose? Let Oscar and his coaching team manage the team and squad without interference and direction from above.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I thought Oscars comment about a mid-table budget and us punching above our weight said it all, he is mildly miffed I think. Not sure how TB will take this little dig

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I don't think he has had the opportunity. Never really been able to select a settled team, lack of pace (bar Buckley), injuries and sales of key people. He is clearly frustrated with what some of the team are doing but is stuck until the summer because we have no real depth in our squad and he was not helped in January.

Yeh no opportunity!! So he plays a woefully out of form Lopez, changes Buckley for JFC not one of the 2 wingers he has on the bench. He has had and has now a lot of opportunity, he decides the tactics and his and tHe welsh idiot with him decide time and time again to play negative, defensive and boring football. The majority of the crowd have put up with this all season but I for one am bored senseless with our general play this season!

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
I'm in the school that OG has looked at what his inherited, decided to play some younger ones (Ince, March etc) and 75% of the rest are not up to the job of getting us up, hence I'm expecting a major clear-out in the close season and next season some new players so he can really change the way we play.To be honest when I watch this lot I see the ones from the Poyet era doing pretty much the same things they did for him (Greer still can't hit a through ball to Ulloa) and I don't think they can change so until OG moves them out and brings in new players we're stuck with a certain style.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
No! Purely because he hasn't got the pull to bring in players. Gus did, players wanted to sign for us. I doubt we would of attracted Bridge, Ulloa etc with OG in charge. You just new they were Gus's signings. Two targets of ours in January opted to sign for Bournemouth and Millwall respectively. It doesn't look like Grabban's choice was all that bad after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here