Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the lack of Player’s contracts having a impact on their ability to play?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
With alot of the player’s contracts running out in the summer, do you think it is having a impact on the players ability to play?
I for one do not understand why they are being left so late, surely Oscar knows who he wants next season.
Players must be under alot of pressure to perform, it can't be helping, but then as a player, wouldn’t you be wanting to play as if your life depended on it?
In a way it does, what ever the reason, something has gone badly wrong!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, most of them will be out on their ears this summer and they know it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Greer who managed to twice miscontrol the ball a yard to both goalscorers should have his shortened by a year

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It will be a catch 22 scenario for some players , if we get promoted they know they'll be surplus to requirement and if we don't they know there is a chance of a contract renewal. There are a few who don't give a **** because they already know a new deal is in the realms of fantasy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So we get rid of a load of old crap and replace them with the equivalent of Andrews, Rodriguez, Obika, Lita etc. That will obviously improve things

In theory FFP will bring down wages , better replacements can be brought in for the same money if the budget remains the same.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
In theory FFP will bring down wages , better replacements can be brought in for the same money if the budget remains the same.

must have a little money left over to buy some more CLACKERS

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It will be a catch 22 scenario for some players , if we get promoted they know they'll be surplus to requirement and if we don't they know there is a chance of a contract renewal. There are a few who don't give a **** because they already know a new deal is in the realms of fantasy.

But they are always playing for their next contract, whether that be with us or the next club. Yes, is we go up there will be a few that will be surplus to requirements but if they don't play well now they could end up on the shopping list of league one clubs rather than championship.

Personally I don't think the contract issue is why the team looked dire yesterday!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not their ability to play, no, but their motivation? Maybe. But you'd like to think being out of a contract would make them want to step up their performance to earn one or give them a better negotiating position with any club they talk to.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
players and club may want to keep options open, until they know what division they will be in.. why tie in to (say £50k) a week at championship, when you could ask for double / treble that in the Prem?

I am no expert but would think that a clause could be added into the contract that would suit both parties.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It could well be a factor in the unbelly of some players' mentalities; more certainly for me the ones approaching the ends of the careers who as much as can be trusted for all their experience must be thinking of their chances of boozing in a last chance saloon without their wages being terribly lowered, and in doing so feel a little less attached. Their hunger for success could be equally matched by their hunger for survival, and i wonder if the clash between those natural desires is holding back one or two of them. I'd like us to have a settled unit who know we have enough faith in them to not believe they are purely a brief stopgap rather than a longer-lasting and somewhat fixed cog in the Albion machine.
It'll be a summer of negotiations and i also wonder if the end of season continues to a lessening of the extraordinary the level of trust and authority given to Oscar in his decision-making as to very much who stays and goes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here