Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's be positive and realistic at the same time (shocker for NSC)

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
So three games lost on the bounce and a HUGE amount of negativity in NSC.

I am usually a pessimist and likely to throw toys out of the pram but for a change I am going to be positive.

The next three games we will get 7 points from and will continue the good form for the rest of the season and either into the play offs, in which case we will win a trip to Wembley, or we will just miss out and everyone will say it has been a good season considering the laughable circumstances in the summer.

We are only 4 points from 6th.

I made a prediction of top ten back in August and we are still there even with all the injuries and ridiculous pre season. Goal scoring aside, we are doing ok.

Posted this on the Malkay thread but probably better in here! Fed up with the negativity every time we lose (although we should never lose should we?). Hero to zero in the space of two weeks - the face of football today.

I find it truly amazing how our fans are so good at undermining the efforts of a manager who, from the onset, has stipulated that he wants to build a squad that is capable of a. getting out of the Championship, and b. sustaining life within the Premiership. The good folk of NSC have very short memories of some of the utter drivel the previous manager (who shall remain unnamed) served up. Our first season back in the Championship saw us flirting with relegation at one point as well as losing a couple of games in quick succession by 6 goals. Has this happened this year? However, it was Oscar's fault that Greer made two mistakes and it was also Oscar's fault for Ulloa missing a penalty. This is a transitional season where, quite frankly, we have achieved well above expectation considering the issues which have been well documented (for those on NSC with short memories I will be happy to post again with a list). Oscar has given the opportunity to a younger crop of players who will be much better for it (JFC, Ince, March, Dunk) who were never really given any chance previously. This is what is normally called building for the future. Unfortunately, some of our fans have bought into the culture (cancer) which is affecting football today, of every match has to be a win and the teddy is thrown a long way out of the pram if we don't. It's not our right to win every game - simple. It reflects society of today where we expect everything for nothing. Tough. It doesn't work like that.
Our club is moving forward and we should move forward with it, not against it. If you say you trust Bloom, then trust him in his decision to appoint a manager who goes about his business with an air of dignity, who is building for the future and is still dealing with many skeletons.

Or, in a nut shell, get a grip.

Rant over. Awaits vitriol.

Posted this on the Malkay thread but probably better in here! Fed up with the negativity every time we lose (although we should never lose should we?). Hero to zero in the space of two weeks - the face of football today.

I find it truly amazing how our fans are so good at undermining the efforts of a manager who, from the onset, has stipulated that he wants to build a squad that is capable of a. getting out of the Championship, and b. sustaining life within the Premiership. The good folk of NSC have very short memories of some of the utter drivel the previous manager (who shall remain unnamed) served up. Our first season back in the Championship saw us flirting with relegation at one point as well as losing a couple of games in quick succession by 6 goals. Has this happened this year? However, it was Oscar's fault that Greer made two mistakes and it was also Oscar's fault for Ulloa missing a penalty. This is a transitional season where, quite frankly, we have achieved well above expectation considering the issues which have been well documented (for those on NSC with short memories I will be happy to post again with a list). Oscar has given the opportunity to a younger crop of players who will be much better for it (JFC, Ince, March, Dunk) who were never really given any chance previously. This is what is normally called building for the future. Unfortunately, some of our fans have bought into the culture (cancer) which is affecting football today, of every match has to be a win and the teddy is thrown a long way out of the pram if we don't. It's not our right to win every game - simple. It reflects society of today where we expect everything for nothing. Tough. It doesn't work like that.
Our club is moving forward and we should move forward with it, not against it. If you say you trust Bloom, then trust him in his decision to appoint a manager who goes about his business with an air of dignity, who is building for the future and is still dealing with many skeletons.

Nail & Head. Couldn't have put it better myself

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Some people are naturally pessimistic. For all your positivity, others could say based on yesterday's starting XI...
Kuszchak... Decent
Bruno... Past it (33)
Greer... Past it (34)
Upson... Showing signs in recent weeks of being past it (35)
Ward... Not our player.
Andrews... Not our player (past it anyway)
Ince... Promising
Lopez... Past it (33)
Buckley... Injury prone
Lingard... Not our player
Ulloa... Knows he has no competition and recent performances have been below par.
!!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The future of this club is bright. It should not be tarnished by a few impatient fans who cannot accept that a manager is always going to struggle when he cannot pick the same team twice on the trot due to injuries/illness. I will forgive a few tactical cock ups as, in the main, the tactics this year have been good. The time to judge Oscar is when he has a full squad to choose from.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

You're on the wrong forum mate for this kind of sanity. Thread of the day IMO...

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Boooooooooooooo

We have a new big stadium and one of the highest average attendances at home games - we deserve to be in the premiership!

Boooooooooooooo

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I had my first visit to Dick's yesterday, thanks to my receiving too late notice on the cancellation of the fan merchandising forum. I had the pleasure of striking up a conversation with two people who couldn't have been further apart in their opinions.

One couldn't say enough bad things, couldn't be too critical, and couldn't see a single credit or meritworthy thing about the team... except that he had a season ticket and didn't miss a single game.

The other saw positive things about the FFP progression, saw a young manager struggling but managing to achieve incredible things overall (despite his lack of experience, financial limits, terrible string of injuries, etc.) and a team that in spite of all this adversity, was within striking distance of the playoffs and gave him lots of pleasure... because he had a season ticket and didn't miss a single game.

I agreed with the second man and got very tired of the first, very quickly. I'm not criticising him, but simply saying how his opinion depressed and annoyed me very soon.

All that needs to change is that, for me, Oscar has to learn how to manage our expectations. If he keeps mentioning the play-offs and trying to make us feel better, we will only feel worse if we don't meet the objective he keeps referring to. It's a balancing act but without managed expectations, we will continue to be disappointed, overly, when we aren't as successful as we'd like, and we'll blame the man who we feel let us down by promising us too much.

For me, I'm still behind Oscar and still happy that he'll achieve all he can for us. No need for any change in manager as of now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The previous Manager spent much of his press conferences telling us how difficult it was, that we were 15th in terms of budget and sowing the seed that if we finished higher than 15th he was doing something exceptional.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here