Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My top 10 wish list for all things Brighton beautiful......if only.......

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
1. A Manager that motivates me as a supporter - including the occasional outburst, with measured passion exuding in the technical area etc.

- Sorry but it's a big NO. (Oh for an Alan Mullery or a Chris Cattlin....)

2. A Team that includes a 'wonder' player - a Peter Ward, a Bobby Zamora, a Vicente - someone that excites the crowd every time they are on the ball.

- Sorry but it's a big NO. (LuaLua comes close though to be fair).

3. A striker that scores goals regularly - goals win games, goals bring in supporters, sound defences don't (refer to Mike Bailey).

- Sorry but it's a big NO.

4. Stewards that are friendly and welcoming.

- Definitely it's a big YES.

5. Catering that is decent and plentiful.

- Sorry but it's a big NO (ESU - no hot dogs, few pies, few burgers at 3.45pm).

6. A catering that is fast and efficient.

- Sorry but it's a big NO (ESU - poor English speaker, slow, didn't know how to operate till etc).

7. A transport system that is fast and efficient.

8. A comfortable (award winning) stadium with decent banter/supporters.

9. A generous Chairman that is Albion through & through.

10. A Club that looks to the future and is innovative in its thinking/strategy.

- Definitely it's a big YES (New Training Ground, possible hotel, Young Seagulls etc).

The Club scores 5 out of 10. Could do better I guess.......

Some other thoughts/concerns:

- Of course, we have no divine right to win every game or be in the top 6. Other Clubs are in a far worse state than us. Maybe our expectations are set too high? Yes - but ask yourself who set them so high? The Board. Premiership Ready. It's all that is talked about. We are setting ourselves up for one hell of a fall if we fail.

- Loan strikers : Obika, Lita, Lingard, Vokes, Paynter (there may have been more) - how many Albion goals have they scored between them?

- Injuries : Every Club has injuries to varying degrees - it's how you manage your squad and resources. See above for poor decision making.

- We now have our very own Fantasy Football at The Amex : Phoney attendance, phoney MoM and phoney football (giving the illusion we're going to score and of course we don't).

- False economy - IF (and it's a big IF, because we can't be absolutely 100% sure) Murray left because he wasn't offered enough ££, to allow another top scorer leave, assuming it was solely down to ££, shows poor management.

- Our group of 31 : 3 aren't renewing. Our minibus group of 15 : 2 aren't renewing. So around 10%, is that a barometer for the other 24,000? I hope not.

I'm afraid things need to change on the pitch, otherwise all the good work off it will be wasted. The Club have my support, but in common with many others, our frustration is increasing. I assume that this must be the case amongst the Board too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Our group of 31 : 3 aren't renewing. Our minibus group of 15 : 2 aren't renewing. So around 10%, is that a barometer for the other 24,000? I hope not.

23,000 this season, "over 20,000 renewals" for next. That sounds like c10%...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1. A Manager that motivates me as a supporter - including the occasional outburst, with measured passion exuding in the technical area etc.

- Sorry but it's a big NO. (Oh for an Alan Mullery or a Chris Cattlin....)

The last one worked out well, or are your standards so specific you want an exact amount of crazy.

2. A Team that includes a 'wonder' player - a Peter Ward, a Bobby Zamora, a Vicente - someone that excites the crowd every time they are on the ball.

- Sorry but it's a big NO. (LuaLua comes close though to be fair).

Are you going to pay for the top earner?, no wonder player who is consistent and fit will come cheap.

3. A striker that scores goals regularly - goals win games, goals bring in supporters, sound defences don't (refer to Mike Bailey).

- Sorry but it's a big NO.

We have one, feck knows what's wrong there.

4. Stewards that are friendly and welcoming.

5. Catering that is decent and plentiful.

- Sorry but it's a big NO (ESU - no hot dogs, few pies, few burgers at 3.45pm).

ESL fine and dandy, as it always has been.

6. A catering that is fast and efficient.

- Sorry but it's a big NO (ESU - poor English speaker, slow, didn't know how to operate till etc).

See above

7. A transport system that is fast and efficient.

8. A comfortable (award winning) stadium with decent banter/supporters.

9. A generous Chairman that is Albion through & through.

10. A Club that looks to the future and is innovative in its thinking/strategy.

- Definitely it's a big YES (New Training Ground, possible hotel, Young Seagulls etc).

The Club scores 5 out of 10. Could do better I guess.......

Some other thoughts/concerns:

- Of course, we have no divine right to win every game or be in the top 6. Other Clubs are in a far worse state than us. Maybe our expectations are set too high? Yes - but ask yourself who set them so high? The Board. Premiership Ready. It's all that is talked about. We are setting ourselves up for one hell of a fall if we fail.

- Loan strikers : Obika, Lita, Lingard, Vokes, Paynter (there may have been more) - how many Albion goals have they scored between them?

- Injuries : Every Club has injuries to varying degrees - it's how you manage your squad and resources. See above for poor decision making.

- We now have our very own Fantasy Football at The Amex : Phoney attendance, phoney MoM and phoney football (giving the illusion we're going to score and of course we don't).

- False economy - IF (and it's a big IF, because we can't be absolutely 100% sure) Murray left because he wasn't offered enough ££, to allow another top scorer leave, assuming it was solely down to ££, shows poor management.

- Our group of 31 : 3 aren't renewing. Our minibus group of 15 : 2 aren't renewing. So around 10%, is that a barometer for the other 24,000? I hope not.

I'm afraid things need to change on the pitch, otherwise all the good work off it will be wasted. The Club have my support, but in common with many others, our frustration is increasing. I assume that this must be the case amongst the Board too.

Would you have written this thread after the QPR game, a whole 3 and a half weeks ago?

You talk of not having a divine right, on a thread where it would seem you expect there to be some kind of divine right, from pies to players.

Why are you of all people behaving like a JCL diva?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you can only be disappointed by how things are unravelling if you're a new supporter?
We're all disappointed about how things have unraveled, esp the speed of it.

My point is any dyed in the wool, blue and white bleeding Albion fan should be able to take this in their stride.
If you're not used to a disappointing end to the season, by now, you never will be.

On a par with the moron on the radio last night.
Spouting his died hard fanaticism, saying it's the worst he's seen inc Gillingham.

My arse, I bet he couldn't even find Gillingham on a map.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We're all disappointed about how things have unraveled, esp the speed of it.

My point is any dyed in the wool, blue and white bleeding Albion fan should be able to take this in their stride.
If you're not used to a disappointing end to the season, by now, you never will be.

On a par with the moron on the radio last night.
Spouting his died hard fanaticism, saying it's the worst he's seen inc Gillingham.

My arse, I bet he couldn't even find Gillingham on a map.
Agree we're all disappointed, and deep down we should all be ready for it, but as Paul mentioned, the club themselves have built the whole thing up with this PLR malarkey and ever increasing costs of everything, they've unwittingly built our hopes up and right now it's all looking a bit silly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree we're all disappointed, and deep down we should all be ready for it, but as Paul mentioned, the club themselves have built the whole thing up with this PLR malarkey and ever increasing costs of everything, they've unwittingly built our hopes up and right now it's all looking a bit silly.
But what were they supposed to do?

Having built a state of the art stadium.
A world class training facility.
Supply at the things Paul approves of, at a cost, to us fans and the club.

Then turn round and say, 'but we don't expect promotion, any time soon'.

That would make a mockery of the whole process, and the club might as well have stayed at the Withdean.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But what were they supposed to do?

Having built a state of the art stadium.
A world class training facility.
Supply at the things Paul approves of, at a cost, to us fans and the club.

Then turn round and say, 'but we don't expect promotion, any time soon'.

That would make a mockery of the whole process, and the club might as well have stayed at the Withdean.

Absolutely agree, but the current squad(and perhaps to an extent the management set up?)doesn't seem to be in keeping with the PLR status the club is trying to achieve.

Why is this poor management? If Murray wanted more than our wage structure then letting him go was the only option. I'd rather that than financial incompetence, surely that is worse management?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely agree, but the current squad(and perhaps to an extent the management set up?)doesn't seem to be in keeping with the PLR status the club is trying to achieve.

But 3 weeks ago, it was all in front of us.
Knock Ispwich out of the equation.
Beat non scoring 'boro.
Win our game in hand.

Bosh we're comfortably 5th, maybe even fourth.
What's that if it's not PLR?

As said the speed of the disintegration is what's 'shocking', and where the questions need to be asked.
But those questions weren't being asked just 3 weeks ago.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But 3 weeks ago, it was all in front of us.
Knock Ispwich out of the equation.
Beat non scoring 'boro.
Win our game in hand.

Bosh we're comfortably 5th, maybe even fourth.
What's that if it's not PLR?

As said the speed of the disintegration is what's 'shocking', and where the questions need to be asked.
But those questions weren't being asked just 3 weeks ago.

I'll be honest SB, I don't know (ot care for that matter) whether it makes me a bad fan but I have had my doubts since long before yesterday. We've been trundling through this defending our way to victory rather than going out to win games, yes that may get us there but it seems like a pretty cautious way of doing things. We aren't scoring anywhere enough goals, we all know this, but somehow we have got surprise results here and there. Take the QPR game for example, to me they were by far the better team but we stole 3 points which kept us near the play offs, a position which I feel is a complete misrepresentation of how our season is actually going. We've had results that have papered over the cracks of a an under performing team. As I said in another thread, this league really isn't as good as people make out, at the moment we're somehow just above average in this division with a lacklustre squad and what appears to be a relatively uninspiring management team. I think January was a big let down, we shifted £3-4m of players and only brought in Stephens, that doesn't seem like a club with ambitions of being PLR. I'm tired now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why is this poor management? If Murray wanted more than our wage structure then letting him go was the only option. I'd rather that than financial incompetence, surely that is worse management?

Maybe the wage structure has to be nudged upwards then, as part of Premier League Readiness. wouldn't have taken that much to keep him, same as it wouldn't have taken much to keep Barnes.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The questions weren't being asked after the Bolton game as things looked dandy and now in the space of 7 days the wheels that have been threatening to come off at times have finally done it. 39 goals is shocking statistic and it doesn't matter a flying f*** about the pies, the pints, the transport or anything if the football is dire and worse than dire is losing dire

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll be honest SB, I don't know (ot care for that matter) whether it makes me a bad fan but I have had my doubts since long before yesterday. We've been trundling through this defending our way to victory rather than going out to win games, yes that may get us there but it seems like a pretty cautious way of doing things. We aren't scoring anywhere enough goals, we all know this, but somehow we have got surprise results here and there. Take the QPR game for example, to me they were by far the better team but we stole 3 points which kept us near the play offs, a position which I feel is a complete misrepresentation of how our season is actually going. We've had results that have papered over the cracks of a an under performing team. As I said in another thread, this league really isn't as good as people make out, at the moment we're somehow just above average in this division with a lacklustre squad and what appears to be a relatively uninspiring management team. I think January was a big let down, we shifted £3-4m of players and only brought in Stephens, that doesn't seem like a club with ambitions of being PLR. I'm tired now.
We seem to be having a long conversation even though we have been pretty much in agreement.

The gaping chasum that were paper thin cracks are there for us all to see.
Maybe at the end of the season we'll get a run down of '14.

Clearly Grabbon (sp) was a major part of the jigsaw, but it seems odd that was the only piece.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It makes me laugh that a man so close to Dick Knight and the previous regime no longer is capable of doing anything other than slag off the current board.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It makes me laugh that a man so close to Dick Knight and the previous regime no longer is capable of doing anything other than slag off the current board.

Have to agree he has done a lot of sniping of late on here! I do hope he has made his feelings known directly to TB/PB. Paul?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here