Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not The Manager's Fault Today

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
When he sets up a team that creates simple chances and they aren't put away.

It's not the manager's fault when his best striker can't put a penalty on target is it?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
no , it certainly isn't his fault......i am certainly baffled by our apparent inability to turn chances created into numbers upon the score sheet...!! that was one of the worst penalties i have seen...by a pro!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

It's not the manager's fault when his best striker can't put a penalty on target is it?

Yep, it is. There is a psychology to penalty taking and it appeared to be an elementary mistake. Not a thing a player would want to do in a play-off final.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It has to be someone's fault.
OG is someone.
It's OG's fault.

Can't argue with logic and Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We haven't got an inspirational leader on the pitch, in fact I'm not sure we've got one at the club. I'd rather have one of those than a manager shouting and encouraging from the touch line. You know, somebody who can actually influence the game by example and cajoling once it's started.

I agree Oscar is not responsible for players cocking up openings but he is responsible for getting the players who can take their chances and play the way he wants. If he's still here in the summer he'll have the chance to rebuild the team. I expect a massive overhaul in the summer and the players seem to sense it too given their recent performances.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've defended Oscar, and would like him to be given time but his selection and changes today baffled me.

I don't know what he sees in Andrews so why not start with Ince, Lopez & Lingard in midfield?

Ok Lopez doesn't tackle but neither does Andrews.

When Buckley got injured, why not Kaz or Solly? Such a negative change in that Lopez was the only one creating in the middle & he gets moved out wide right when it was obvious we needed an injection of pace.

As the OP says though even with a dreary uninspiring performance the chance we created before their first was as gilt edge as they come. Pathetic finishing.

Enough said about the pen. The ball was in the floor for ages and not a single Albion player wanted to take it. Of course OG had already taken Lopez off (again leaving Andrews on the pitch!?).

I don't honestly know what's going on or what he's thinking, I'm left baffled by it all. It's all very well us (me a lot of the time) saying he needs time and has had lots of injuries, but he just doesn't go for it. I hope he's learning fast about what's needed as at the moment the team appears to be going backwards.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The penalty converted would have masked what was otherwise a dire performance.

Sorry but how can the lack of shape, direction, negative tactics, no obvious pattern in our play and absurd substitutions be anyone's fault but the managers? Perhaps Oscar can also explain why Stephens is left out in preference to a Bolton reject and an overrated youngster (JFC) who could not even break into the oxford first team yet plays for us week in week out

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Enough said about the pen. The ball was in the floor for ages and not a single Albion player wanted to take it.

Rubbish, As soon as the penalty was awarded Ulloa picked the ball up and demanded to take it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Oh, and why wasn't Stephens playing?

He and Dunk were our two best players at Bolton. Both dropped, and we've lost the last three games since.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton

I agree, the team let us down yesterday not the management. Oscar was brave enough to see us being overrun in midfield and made the change in bringing on JFC for Buckley in the first half. Dave played much better on the right and we started the second half brightly. Ulloas penalty miss and Greers dawdling cost us dearly - how can this be Oscars fault? Their second goal looked offside as well. Bad day at the office but all this overreacting is pathetic. A lot of our support needs to man up.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh, and why wasn't Stephens playing?

He and Dunk were our two best players at Bolton. Both dropped, and we've lost the last three games since.

There is no keeping the shirt with this manager, I feel sorry for Dunk he deserved to stay in the team after coming in and playing so well.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I've defended Oscar, and would like him to be given time but his selection and changes today baffled me.

I don't know what he sees in Andrews so why not start with Ince, Lopez & Lingard in midfield?

Ok Lopez doesn't tackle but neither does Andrews.

When Buckley got injured, why not Kaz or Solly? Such a negative change in that Lopez was the only one creating in the middle & he gets moved out wide right when it was obvious we needed an injection of pace.

As the OP says though even with a dreary uninspiring performance the chance we created before their first was as gilt edge as they come. Pathetic finishing.

Enough said about the pen. The ball was in the floor for ages and not a single Albion player wanted to take it. Of course OG had already taken Lopez off (again leaving Andrews on the pitch!?).

I don't honestly know what's going on or what he's thinking, I'm left baffled by it all. It's all very well us (me a lot of the time) saying he needs time and has had lots of injuries, but he just doesn't go for it. I hope he's learning fast about what's needed as at the moment the team appears to be going backwards.

OG cannot be held responsible for missed opportunities and the penalty, but taking off Dave was a major error and switching from the centre to the wing nullified what he was bringing. That was a bad tactical decision, Dave has not missed a penalty since he has been here and is the only one that can hit a sensible free kick. Personally I don't understand why \jesse was left on the pitch and why he is getting automatic selection. I know OG has limited resources but I'm not sure he is using them correctly.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Rubbish, As soon as the penalty was awarded Ulloa picked the ball up and demanded to take it.

He didn't pick it up straight away. It was on the floor, while their players were round the ref Ulloa clearly looked round at his team mates none of whom looked like wanting to take it. His body language was that he didn't fancy it either and everyone around me said he was going to miss - you can say rubbish but watch again, he doesn't look like a confident penalty taker backing himself. We've missed a lot of pens over the years but none as bad as that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
OG cannot be held responsible for missed opportunities and the penalty, but taking off Dave was a major error and switching from the centre to the wing nullified what he was bringing. That was a bad tactical decision, Dave has not missed a penalty since he has been here and is the only one that can hit a sensible free kick. Personally I don't understand why \jesse was left on the pitch and why he is getting automatic selection. I know OG has limited resources but I'm not sure he is using them correctly.

You can blame him for the first miss because Andrews shouldn't be getting anywhere near a start in this team, and the pen for having taken Lopez off!

I can't criticise Lingards effort and he gets in some good positions but I think he needs to be central at the head of a midfield 3 if we're going to see the best of him.

Knocker15

May 18, 2013
Gosport, Hants
To play the Oscar way we need a class midfielder ala Vincente to pull the strings, unfortunately David Lopez has lost form from last year, Orlandi has been injured and JFC and Andrews just arn't that player. More worryingly this is the second manager we have had that doesn't seem to have a plan B, except to throw Lua Lua on for the last 10 minutes of a game. Questions need to be asked about the purchase of Augustine as I'm sure he was brought in to fill the creative roll.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
He didn't pick it up straight away. It was on the floor, while their players were round the ref Ulloa clearly looked round at his team mates none of whom looked like wanting to take it. His body language was that he didn't fancy it either and everyone around me said he was going to miss - you can say rubbish but watch again, he doesn't look like a confident penalty taker backing himself. We've missed a lot of pens over the years but none as bad as that.

Don't need to watch it again I had a very clear view of it yesterday and he was pointing to himself to take the penalty, I might miss a lot of what happens in various areas of the pitch but I have a very good view of the north penalty area from where I sit. Ulloa wanted that penalty but he made a bit of a hash of it unfortunately.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here