Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When is substituting your best performing player a good idea?

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
.... I can't think of any good reasons but that's why I'm not being paid the big mangerial bucks I guess.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
A bit like not replacing Buckley with another winger and therefore losing any width we had, that was a strange replacement

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Was Ince injured? Was Buckley injured??

Taking them off if they were, is obviously the right thing to do. Replacing Buckley with JCF baffles me though, we had two wingers on the bench. AND Lopez was actually playing okay through the middle. He created very little when shoved out wide. He is not a winger.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think David was doing OK too - certainly better than Andrews. That decision ultimately cost us - he would have scored the pen.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
.... I can't think of any good reasons but that's why I'm not being paid the big mangerial bucks I guess.

I presume you are talking about Ince being brought off ?
I agree if so retarded descision at best, but I firmly believe now what my mate in front of me said today,
that Jones is picking the team if not Bloom as well .
Food for thought maybe ??

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oscar has said JFC replaced Buckley (injured) because we had lost authority in midfield.

****ing hell he has really lost it then. That makes NO SENSE. None whatsoever. Those aren't even ENREST capitals. They're frustration.

We were 33 minute in. One third of the game. it was NIL NIL. He PICKED the side and, ergo, the midfield. The capitals seem to be continuing.

In the course of that game we passed back more than Michael Bailiey's Purple Army in the defensive early eighties and that was when you were allowed to pick it up from a back pass. We passed back to a keeper well known for being shit at distribution. Was Gordon Greer spending large portions of the second half asleep down to our authority in midfield? How about the Puncheon-easque penalty? How about everyone looking at the bench and going "how do we take a free kick boss"?

Spanish Dave was having a GOOD GAME in centre mid. He was rubbish out wide. If you want to re-establish authority in midfield it's time to beg Gus to let us have Bridcutt back and send Andrews back to Bolton, preferably in a cab with the bill charged to Phil Gartside.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Buckley had to come off - but the decision not to bring on a replacement winger when we had two on the bench, but opt for a central midfielder instead, was just unbelievable. In a game we needed to win!

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
sorry for confusion I am talking about Rohan Ince not Buckley, my love for the big man is obviously not shared by everyone. Although considering how early Buckley came off and how he played before he came off I assumed it would make it obvious. Clearly underestimated the love people have for Buckley!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
****ing hell he has really lost it then. That makes NO SENSE. None whatsoever. Those aren't even ENREST capitals. They're frustration.

We were 33 minute in. One third of the game. it was NIL NIL. He PICKED the side and, ergo, the midfield. The capitals seem to be continuing.

In the course of that game we passed back more than Michael Bailiey's Purple Army in the defensive early eighties and that was when you were allowed to pick it up from a back pass. We passed back to a keeper well known for being shit at distribution. Was Gordon Greer spending large portions of the second half asleep down to our authority in midfield? How about the Puncheon-easque penalty? How about everyone looking at the bench and going "how do we take a free kick boss"?

Spanish Dave was having a GOOD GAME in centre mid. He was rubbish out wide. If you want to re-establish authority in midfield it's time to beg Gus to let us have Bridcutt back and send Andrews back to Bolton, preferably in a cab with the bill charged to Phil Gartside.

All things considered. That is superb rant. :clap:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Oscar has said JFC replaced Buckley (injured) because we had lost authority in midfield.

Speechless. We don't need to know any more about Garcia. He will never be an attack-minded manager as long as he makes decisions like that.

We actually started OK, it was a bright, open attacking game. Although both teams were creating chances, we had the edge. Even David was playing well.

JFC doesn't exactly command authority in any case. We lost ALL impetus once he came on and it was downhill from then on.

I really believe that decision changed the game. If March or Kaz had come on as a natural replacement for Buckers, I think we would have won the match. Even if we hadn't, it would have been a lot more entertaining than the turgid rubbish we were served up for the remaining 90 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here