Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expectations of the players

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Does everyone on here give 100% every day they are at work? I doubt it so why so much criticism of the players if tehy look disinterested is it really any different than say working for an insurance company or bank you still have a duty to your boss and customers to perform but i can guarantee we all have das we we can't be bothered, keep our heads down etc etc England players have been doing it for years. Footballers just get paid alot more than your average man on the street but suddenly why are they expected to be 100% every match. To alot of them it's a job it's not teh top job of playing in the premier league give them a break i bet there are alot on here who aren't really up to there job do they get people heckling them to jack it in?

Football is more emotive than say working in Wh Smith but it's still only a job to pay the bills.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I always give far more than 100% every second of every day *

* this may not be strictly true - unless my boss is reading this (which he isn't)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Does everyone on here give 100% every day they are at work? I doubt it so why so much criticism of the players if tehy look disinterested is it really any different than say working for an insurance company or bank you still have a duty to your boss and customers to perform but i can guarantee we all have das we we can't be bothered, keep our heads down etc etc England players have been doing it for years. Footballers just get paid alot more than your average man on the street but suddenly why are they expected to be 100% every match. To alot of them it's a job it's not teh top job of playing in the premier league give them a break i bet there are alot on here who aren't really up to there job do they get people heckling them to jack it in?

Football is more emotive than say working in Wh Smith but it's still only a job to pay the bills.

Comedy post..... If someone gave me 20k a week I'd try my nuts off week in week out.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
If I was getting an extra 10K a week, I would try harder.

Actually, research shows you wouldn't. Check out Herzberg's (I think that's how it's spelled) theory of hygiene motivators.

Certainly not having money makes us unhappy. But having money doesn't motivate us.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Yeah, your right.

Maybe us mugs who shell out hundreds of pounds a year to watch under performing shirkers should take our custom elsewhere.

Also, in your man on the street example, most of us don't have contracts guaranteeing us 2/3 yrs work if we under perform. We get the sack!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Actually, research shows you wouldn't. Check out Herzberg's (I think that's how it's spelled) theory of hygiene motivators.

Certainly not having money makes us unhappy. But having money doesn't motivate us.

And you should check Maslow's theory of motivation ;)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you know theres an awful lot more to their working week than 3pm Saturdays. plenty of time to ease off. im not 100% all day every day, but when im called upon to deliver i put in the effort. expect the same from footballers.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
And you should check Maslow's theory of motivation ;)

As an occupational psychologist, I'm very familiar with it. If you read his actual paper, you'll see that it's just his thoughts - no actual science or evidence. Now he was clearly a bright chap, but it's become a bit of an in-joke that his theory has become so widely used.

However, in a sense you're right - and Herzberg's theory is outdated too. Deci's self-determination theory is the most up-to-date theory of how we're motivated. Holistic too, it includes both work and home life.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
there's a difference between putting in 100% all week and putting in 100% when it really matters. Matches are when it should really matter to players.

This isn't the issue though. Lack of effort/motivation often/usually comes from poor leadership.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
As an occupational psychologist, I'm very familiar with it. If you read his actual paper, you'll see that it's just his thoughts - no actual science or evidence. Now he was clearly a bright chap, but it's become a bit of an in-joke that his theory has become so widely used.

However, in a sense you're right - and Herzberg's theory is outdated too. Deci's self-determination theory is the most up-to-date theory of how we're motivated. Holistic too, it includes both work and home life.

There are many theories about motivation at work, such as: FW Taylor, Mayo, McGreggor, McLellan and Vroom (can't remember more). Going by Heezberg alone is silly. I'm not saying money is the optimal factor for motivation, but I think it certainly helps. And for me personally, I would be more motivated for an additional 10K a week! (Hence my post, which was an opinion :p).

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Comedy post..... If someone gave me 20k a week I'd try my nuts off week in week out.

I don't think you would say your boss gave you an extra 2k a year , initially you'd be quite bouyed up but in a coiuple of weeks, months you'd still be doing the same job etc . Its your salary you get it whatever within reason. Iknow i could gove soem of my team an extra 5k a year and they wouldn't work any harder be anymore interested. yet give them extra tasks more reponsibilty i'd get more out of them well most of them.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't think you would say your boss gave you an extra 2k a year , initially you'd be quite bouyed up but in a coiuple of weeks, months you'd still be doing the same job etc . Its your salary you get it whatever within reason. Iknow i could gove soem of my team an extra 5k a year and they wouldn't work any harder be anymore interested. yet give them extra tasks more reponsibilty i'd get more out of them well most of them.

you've blown the "bonus" theory then!!!!

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
you've blown the "bonus" theory then!!!!

We have an annual bonus scheme where i work however i can honestly say i don't think in January what do i have to do to get a bigger bonus, I play the system to my advantage but i suppose that shows i have the ability and are able to easily outperform when required does that make me any more worthy than someone who gives 100% every day yet doesn't have the same ability?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

if 27,000 people can to my office to watch my on NSC and Facebook - I would try bloody hard to look busy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here