Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Oscar actually a good enough manager?

If we take a step back and think about it what evidence was there to suggest he would be the man to lead us to the Premier League? A title in the Israeli league and a career in the top flight of Spanish football? We have to perhaps look at it and really question was he the correct appointment? Gus came in with terrific experience of playing at the top level and a strong knowledge of all the leagues in English football, plus a plethora of contacts. Today I saw a team devoid of passion, lethargic in the supposed 'fight' for a top six finish.

May I add I am not in the Oscar in or out category and have supported him at games. Something just doesn't feel right, something is lacking in this team and its staff. Injuries have been atrocious, yet the fight in that team, the way our captain was brushed aside for two soft goals... Something isn't right.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If we take a step back and think about it what evidence was there to suggest he would be the man to lead us to the Premier League? A title in the Israeli league and a career in the top flight of Spanish football? We have to perhaps look at it and really question was he the correct appointment? Gus came in with terrific experience of playing at the top level and a strong knowledge of all the leagues in English football, plus a plethora of contacts. Today I saw a team devoid of passion, lethargic in the supposed 'fight' for a top six finish.

May I add I am not in the Oscar in or out category and have supported him at games. Something just doesn't feel right, something is lacking in this team and its staff. Injuries have been atrocious, yet the fight in that team, the way our captain was brushed aside for two soft goals... Something isn't right.

I know you can't judge a manager on TV interviews after the game, but there is no passion or enthusiasm in his interviews and I just wonder if your like that in team talks that's just not good enough, or worse he lets Nathan give the team talks.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Couldn't make it today due to illness so watched the net stream - biggest worry is we did not at all look like a team still with a (strong) sniff of the playoffs....we looked so lifeless and turgid, no enthusiasm at all. Not sure to blame the manager or the players for that?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He seems to lack the ability to drive and motivate the players. Too many were going through the motions today whereas at least the Middlesborough players seemed to want it.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
when we are losing, all he does is stand with his hands in his pockets, and occasionally grits his teeth, no passion, and that is reflected from the way ulloa took the penalty

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Im just waiting for the "Breaking News" Yellow Banner to appear at the bottom of then screen on SSN
saying.......

<<<<<<<<Brighton sack head coach Oscar Garcia >>>>>

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
and today was the first time I really began to question whether OG is the man for the job. In this league in this country to succeed a team has to play with a degree of skill but as importantly a significant degree of passion. It's the managers job to motivate the players, I just don't see it happening.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Contacts I think are Key, Has he, or Albion made a killer signing under his stewardship? Look who Gus got in. They were clearly his signings. I'm not harping back to the Gus era as that had now gone, but look what a good network of contacts can do

He is not the Manager though is he. He is employed as head coach of a team currently just short of the play offs. Simply just get it right and get a grip on things.

He is indeed employed as 'head coach' but the motivation aspect of being a manager still remains absolutely key. From what I can see he is failing to motivate.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He needs time to put his vision into practice, There have been several problems at the club which he has had to deal with. We were in disarray when he arrived and dealing with all the nonsense from the last manager. He has had injury problems all year and now he has the added issue of players being out of contract. He is clearly struggling to get his game plan going and may take a little longer than we would all like to adapt to Championship football.

We really haven't given him enough time to do his job, he should be given at least a summer and proper pre season before we right him off. Anything else is just knee jerk and part of the instant gratification culture which blights football and wider culture in this day and age.

We complain that football treats us like customers and not proper fans yet that is exactly how we behave.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Enough evidence for lots of people on here last summer to say they had never been so excited about a new season and that we would walk this division playing football with flair (a word that was seriously overused). But actually, none. I presume those people are most disappointed by the absence of any of the former Barcelona youth players that they were convinced would be coming.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Enough evidence for lots of people on here last summer to say they had never been so excited about a new season and that we would walk this division playing football with flair (a word that was seriously overused). But actually, none. I presume those people are most disappointed by the absence of any of the former Barcelona youth players that they were convinced would be coming.

Not me, I told everyone last August he was the wrong choice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here