Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar 'my instinct is always to defend' Garcia

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Buckley off, we have two replacement wingers on the bench capable of creating chances. Instead, he brings on JFC. If one decision sums up Garcia...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He probably did it because we weren't loosing and Kaz has the biggest impact when he comes on in the 2nd half. He doesn't make many baffling substitutions when you think about it.

The problem is that we are getting way too predictable.

It was astonishing because the original line up was defensive to begin with, a deep lying midfielder which effectively means we play 5 defenders, and one isolated striker. To further pile more caution and defensiveness on top of that against a Boro team who were ultra-defensive and playing for a point, well, it beggars belief

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Buckley off, we have two replacement wingers on the bench capable of creating chances. Instead, he brings on JFC. If one decision sums up Garcia...

I have to agree. I've never been negitive before until now. Oscar is worse than Poyet and as for Jones, he can **** right off.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Must admit that substitution was poor. It never crossed my mind to bring on JFC. If Oscar started with Lopez in the middle why not leave him there and bring on Solly or Lua Lua. Apparently Buckley was having treatment prior to kick off. If he's not fit he shouldn't be starting.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
How ever it was the right substitution...

Keith Andrews and Ince we're being pull out by their wingers dropping inside. Letting them over run us in midfield.

JFC one the ball more in the middle and David is far better at tracking back than Buckley. It made us more stable and created more.

Unfortunately again we weren't clinical enough in front of goal. We have far more close chances than Boro did.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think he is trying to win games best way he can. Defence is old and slow and when left exposed gets caught out. Andrews is not a great deep lying midfielder but there are not many other options. Ince shows his worth. Attacking wise we are never likely to score 3-4 goals in a game. Ulloa is good in the air but lacks pace to get beyond the back 4. Buckley struggles to string games together. The final pass from a lot of our players is poor and quite frankly the final ball is shocking.
I don t blame the manager he is doing what he thinks is best to win games with the players we have. I think he knows the players he has do not have the footballing brains to play the way he wants.
Ill be interested to see who leaves this summer and who is brought in.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It was astonishing because the original line up was defensive to begin with, a deep lying midfielder which effectively means we play 5 defenders, and one isolated striker. To further pile more caution and defensiveness on top of that against a Boro team who were ultra-defensive and playing for a point, well, it beggars belief

I think he's failed to grasp two simple things:

1. It's impossible to win a game without scoring a goal.

2. We play in a league where winning games earns you three times as many points as drawing them.

If you don't create chances and score goals you are always going to struggle. We were playing a team we could have easily beaten in a game we needed to win but Oscar refused to take any risks. Putting on a central midfielder when one of our wingers was injured when we had two obvious replacements is pretty unforgivable. Why would any manager do that?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
He just bores the arse of me. Used to enjoy the drive down from Southampton on match days but today I knew that it would be more of the tedious possession football with no end product. As for his substitutions today......absolutely clueless. Fast losing any confidence in this Spanish buffoon!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
That decision completely killed our impetus. Lopez was shoved out wide, meaning we lost all pace (on the wings) and creativity through the middle. We should have kept Lopez providing creative balls through the middle, I actually thought he was playing alright (better than Julie Andrews). That game cried out for more direct attacking.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That decision completely killed our impetus. Lopez was shoved out wide, meaning we lost all pace (on the wings) and creativity through the middle. We should have kept Lopez providing creative balls through the middle, I actually thought he was playing alright (better than Julie Andrews). That game cried out for more direct attacking.

Totally. Agree with all of that.

I know managers and fans often see things differently, but I find Garcia's explanation that he put JFC on because we were "losing the midfield" totally baffling.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

I know managers and fans often see things differently, but I find Garcia's explanation that he put JFC on because we were "losing the midfield" totally baffling.

But we were, they were getting space in the middle (as shown by the four shots they had from exactly the same position).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We were losing the midfield before the substitution, & lost the match after it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
But we were, they were getting space in the middle (as shown by the four shots they had from exactly the same position).

I thought it was just an open attacking game before the substitution, with both teams looking likely to score. After JFC came on, only Boro looked likely to score.

Oscar is afraid of taking risks.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
But we were not actually losing the midfield battle we had as much possession if not more than they did the difference was when they had the ball they did something constructive with it we did not. By that logic we lose the midfield battle week in week out at home and we need a complete tactical change as most team overcrowd the midfield against us so we are always over run. If we maintain possession and moving the ball around in an attacking manner the issue should not arise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here