Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The smallest insight.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Today I'll be wearing my newly-purchased 'Football vs. Homophobia' t-shirt to the game. I'm already nervous that I'll get insults, or comments aimed at me.

I'm heterosexual, happily married, confident in who I am... and wearing a t-shirt asking for equality is making me nervous.

Would I go to the Amex if I was gay, and would I be comfortable and confident that I wouldn't be abused? At the moment I doubt it. It's not much of an insight to how homophobia affects people, but it's enough to make me think more-deeply about just how much needs to be done before football really is for everyone.

If anyone wants to hold hands with me today, just ask. I'll be happy to oblige and grateful for the reassurance. Isn't that sad...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Today I'll be wearing my newly-purchased 'Football vs. Homophobia' t-shirt to the game. I'm already nervous that I'll get insults, or comments aimed at me.

I'm heterosexual, happily married, confident in who I am... and wearing a t-shirt asking for equality is making me nervous.

Would I go to the Amex if I was gay, and would I be comfortable and confident that I wouldn't be abused? At the moment I doubt it. It's not much of an insight to how homophobia affects people, but it's enough to make me think more-deeply about just how much needs to be done before football really is for everyone.

If anyone wants to hold hands with me today, just ask. I'll be happy to oblige and grateful for the reassurance. Isn't that sad...

Wearing a football v homophobia t-shirt will give you a small insight into the abuse gay people get? Bloody hell, I don't think anyone really cares at our club if you're a gayer or not. There's been that FvH flag in the North Stand ever since we came to the Amex and most, if not all Brighton fans won't give you abuse about a t-shirt showing solidarity. I wouldn't even automatically assume you were gay.

I'll be honest, it sounds like you want to be verbally abused as some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. Even before you've worn the t-shirt and been hypothetically abused you're telling us that it's enough to make you think more deeply about it. You're like one of those out of town gays from somewhere like Crewe or Slough that come down to Gay Pride every year and are quite confrontational "I'm gay. Deal with it...."

Why start this thread? Why worry so much about it? I'd wear the t-shirt, no probs and not stress about it one iota.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Good for you. I guess we're all different. I was just telling you how I felt, that's all. Apologies if it's caused you to get upset.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not sure where you get that notion but I'm not upset at all. I'm just bemused at all your hand-wringing. Wear the t-shirt, enjoy the game. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If you get any comments at all they will be complimentary. Wear a Palace Shirt if you want to know what being abused feels like. No one will care if you are Gay or not. Unless they fancy you.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Good grief. Did you think to ask any gay guys whether they feel intimidated before you decided to save them with your one man handwringing crusade, Captain Equality?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
You do realise that most gay people don't go to the football waving rainbow flags and drawing attention to their sexuality, they generally look and behave the same as everyone else at the game. Therefore, I don't see how your experience today would be in any way similar to that of the average gay fan.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Mmmm I would, but I'm a little concerned we might both get more attention than the T Shirt :) but it's a great and nice idea, good luck, though I'm sure you won't need it. Let's face it the only folk you'll upset aren't worth bothering about. :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
You do realise that most gay people don't go to the football waving rainbow flags and drawing attention to their sexuality, they generally look and behave the same as everyone else at the game. Therefore, I don't see how your experience today would be in any way similar to that of the average gay fan.

What?? You mean they won't be wandering around with handlebar moustaches and leather chaps with the arse cut out? How will we spot them?

Good on the OP for bringing this to our attention.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Bl00dy hell. I wasn't expecting a reaction like this but we live and learn. I shan't post anything else about this, I'll just wring my hands in private and see if I can get Sergeant Diversity promoted alongside me. :flounce:

Dec 29, 2011
Bl00dy hell. I wasn't expecting a reaction like this but we live and learn. I shan't post anything else about this, I'll just wring my hands in private and see if I can get Sergeant Diversity promoted alongside me. :flounce:

Don't let the vocal minority put you off, post what you want.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Mate this is NSC, possibly the strangest place on earth. I have never met a BHA fan that shares the opinion of anyone on here, so I suspect this place is just full of people posting under a gimmick.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How did the OP get on?

If he's serious about wanting to know what a gay Brighton fan thinks about going to footie I can put him in touch with a ST holder mate of mine who's that way inclined. I suspect I already know what the answer will be though - same experience as for straight people and not relevant but far be it for me to put words in his mouth. PM me if you want :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
same experience as for straight people and not relevant

Couldn't have summed it up better myself.

I don't give a second thought to my sexuality at games - I go to watch the game and support the Albion, same as anyone else.

My sexuality has no more bearing on my matchday experience than my eye colour or my inside leg measurement.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here