Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV's impact on the Albion: A blog post, some scheduling stats and Paul Barber's thoughts

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
After the disappointment and frustration some fans are feeling regarding the change of the Yeovil game thought I would look at how often TV has impacted the Albion home games this season. It actually isn't THAT often. That isn't to say I don't still have massive amounts of sympathy for those fans who had already booked travel etc. I do.

Got some comments from Paul Barber as well.

CLICK HERE

Also of our 20 home league matches so far (including tomorrow) 13 have kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday which was more than I thought it would be.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Good blog, but it does contain an error. You state that one game was moved to a Monday due to Watford's schedule. This is the match against Watford itself, which was originally moved to the Friday night due to Brighton University's Open day, and then moved to the Monday to be shown live on Sky Sports.

It was the AWAY game at Watford that was moved to the Sunday, as Watford had a televised game (against Forest, I believe) that was moved to the previous Thursday.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Good blog, but it does contain an error. You state that one game was moved to a Monday due to Watford's schedule. This is the match against Watford itself, which was originally moved to the Friday night due to Brighton University's Open day, and then moved to the Monday to be shown live on Sky Sports.

It was the AWAY game at Watford that was moved to the Sunday, as Watford had a televised game (against Forest, I believe) that was moved to the previous Thursday.

Good spot. Thanks. Amended.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
After the disappointment and frustration some fans are feeling regarding the change of the Yeovil game thought I would look at how often TV has impacted the Albion home games this season. It actually isn't THAT often. That isn't to say I don't still have massive amounts of sympathy for those fans who had already booked travel etc. I do.

Got some comments from Paul Barber as well.

CLICK HERE

Also of our 20 home league matches so far (including tomorrow) 13 have kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday which was more than I thought it would be.

That is over a third that have not.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Anyone got stats for last season and first season at Amex too?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's difficult to search for. I can't find a website with a simply list of what games have been televised, and most search engines struggle with short words such as 'sky' or 'tv'

I'm sure I've missed some,and I might be mistaken about some of these having been on TV, but it's a start for people to amend however is necessary:

*not a regular league game

2011/12
v Leeds home
v Liverpool home*
v Hull home (late saturday k/o I seem to remember)
v West Ham home
v Wrexham away*
v Newcastle home*
v Liverpool away*

2012/13
v Swindon Town* away
v Leeds home
v Hull home
v Palace away*
v Palace home*

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's difficult to search for. I can't find a website with a simply list of what games have been televised, and most search engines struggle with short words such as 'sky' or 'tv'

I'm sure I've missed some,and I might be mistaken about some of these having been on TV, but it's a start for people to amend however is necessary:

*not a regular league game

2011/12
v Leeds home
v Liverpool home*
v Hull home (late saturday k/o I seem to remember)
v West Ham home
v Wrexham away*
v Newcastle home*
v Liverpool away*

2012/13
v Swindon Town* away
v Leeds home
v Hull home
v Palace away*
v Palace home*

Good effort; you are mostly right, except that the Hull game in 2011-12 was not televised (kick-off was moved to accommodate U of B open day).

In 2012-13, Watford was also televised, along with the Newcastle cup game.

If you wanted to replicate Walt's analysis, I could send you a spreadsheet of the home game details (including kick-off times) from these seasons.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Moving a home game from a Saturday afternoon to a Friday night might inconvenience a few home fans but what about the away fans.

Yeovil are fighting for their lives at the bottom of the league.If the game was on a Saturday fans that wanted to attend could make it but now it is on a Friday night only a limited number of fans will be able to make it.

The £80000 tv money for switching the game will surely be offset against the 3000 fewer supporters paying £25 for a ticket & 500 of them buying a pie or a pint.Adding the fact that a match finishing at 9.45 leaves less after match sales than a game finishing at 4.45.
I would also like to add what exposure would we receive playing at a time that is shared between super league & football league.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That is over a third that have not.
But how many of those seven were normal midweek fixtures? I think Sheff Wed, Barnsley, Leeds, and QPR were all midweek games although Leeds was scheduled for a Sat start but moved due to the cup run. One other was on a Wed but that was the traditional New Years Day fixture.

Personally, I prefer the Sat 5:30 kick off. Allows for a reasonable lunchtime session and a few after!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I like your new hairstyle Walt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here