Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Boat Race

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Next Sunday see's the 160th running of one of the great World sporting events - The Boat Race, and I am going to watch it.

:O :O :O

Should be an absolute blast. Anyone been before?? Any tips of the best vantage points and do's and don'ts for the day and eqiquette would be much appreciated.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Before anyone else cracks the same joke,
it's a bit of joke race imho - only one of two teams ever wins
the blo*dy thing

:)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Before anyone else cracks the same joke,
it's a bit of joke race imho - only one of two teams ever wins
the blo*dy thing

:)
Same time next year?
:yawn:

Anyway, it is of course completely yawntastic, as you'd expect for an event that belongs in the 1930s.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I went once, saw someone hideous I sort of knew and went and hid. There are many annoying people spectating. As you'd imagine, everything goes by in a flash, so really it's a very middle class drinking opportunity by a river.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Make sure you watch the reserve race before. It is made up of people actually studying at the universities on merit, rather than big yanks on a freebie just because they can row.

I was lucky enough to row for Isis (The correct name for the reserve crew from Oxford) and it is amazing how many people ignore you as you fly past as if you have no right to be there!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Next Sunday see's the 160th running of one of the great World sporting events - The Boat Race, and I am going to watch it.

Should be an absolute blast. Anyone been before?? Any tips of the best vantage points and do's and don'ts for the day and eqiquette would be much appreciated.

Best place to watch: St Paul's School Boathouse. On the Surrey bank, just west of Hammersmith Bridge. It's where the race really hots up and the crews are very close to you as they go past. Wear wellies!

Etiquette: Get p*ssed. On wine, pimms or cocktails. Obviously.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
...and wear college scarf/cufflinks so you can identify and be identified and catch up with all those lovely people from "back in the day"....

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I went once, saw someone hideous I sort of knew and went and hid. There are many annoying people spectating. As you'd imagine, everything goes by in a flash, so really it's a very middle class drinking opportunity by a river.

Did someone say 'drinking opportunity'?

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach

Been a few years, top day out! Head down to Hammersmith and there few pubs along the river, Blue Anchor is the one we usually end up. Get there early and grab an outside bench on the river..perfect spot! They say who ever leads around Hammersmith generally wins...so far this has been correct for the ones I seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here