Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stats dont lie

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
The stats speak for themselves - it's all about a lack of goals, having 2 strikers out for the whole season and having loans strikers who've contributed very few goals. Had Oscar known back in July that neither CMS or Hoskins would kick a ball for the 1st XI until April I'm sure he'd have got another striker in for the whole season.

To be fair to the loan strikers, they're not going to get goals sitting on the bench. Either they were not good enough (in which case why bring them in) or Garcia didn't like them (in which case why bring them in). I'm also still not convinced, as much as I love the guy, his effort, enthusiasm, etc that CMS is the man to score us that 25 / 30 goals we need to go up next year.

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
Yes Soistes. The first set are goals scored by the Albion per game; the second total goals scored per game (being avg golas scored avg goals conceded)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We need to find a way to get out of reverse gear. I honestly have no idea what that is,.

Not got the options up front so has to be in the middle and out wide .

Essential not to have Andrews as high up the pitch as he has been playing. If Stephens is fit then he comes straight in.

Not a post for this thread but felt the need to post it

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Wasn't that what happened last season?

I didn't feel we were favourites last season.

I'm pretty sure we were favourites last season, despite Watford finishing above us. We were the form team going into the playoffs having won four of the last five and going unbeaten in nine.

Fat lot of good it did us

Watford were favourites. We may have been favourites in the Semi's but not to go up.

Going to the playoffs hoping we can do it is different from believing it.

End of last season, 0-0 with Charlton, 0-0 with Peterborough, 1-1 with Leicester, 1-1 with Forest, we beat a relegated side, pulled a large result against Blackpool. Could say we were lucky at Leeds with them having two sendings off.

I wasn't filled with confidence last season.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
where is this attacking football mr garcia likes his teams to play and dont feel we have really seen it yet

Did you see the game against Leicester, Burnley and Wigan? I thought that was our best attacking football.

I also think people's expectations are far too high, just because we reached 4th last season doesn't necessarily mean we have to be managing that again. Poyet's first season in the championship we came 10th, then 4th the next. This season, with all the injuries, we're tinkering with the play-off places. In the same way we sort of did with Poyet's first season. I see this season as a means for Garcia to gauge what needs to be done, what kind of players need to be bought in and got rid off for a real push next season.

We were in some sense, in the same dilemma with Poyet, again, in his first season as a championship manager. Tight defensively, but litle bite going forward. Then in the second season, we were tinkering up in the play-offs this time last season. The style of football changed, it came from passive and slow tactics, to aggressive and fast in the second half of the season. Blackpool showed us that.

I think some people need to stop wetting the bed and lessen their expectations, I expect the back room stuff and the coaching team are working on arrangements for the summer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting stats -- I don't quite understand the two bits highlighted which seem contradictory (both referring to average goals per game, but with different figures).
Does one refer to goals we scored and the other all goals in a match?
Or does the second one refer to average number of goals we score at home? (as your next line refers to goals at the Amex)?

Average goals per match is from either team. (average scored per game + average goals conceded per game).

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Anyway, good stat attack there. And a pretty decent assessment.

I agree we have been unlucky in parts and that we shouldn't expect too much BUT there is definitely a concern over the complete lack of attacking ability. Having a stingy defence is all well and good as long as you can score but as tight as you like you're always going to concede some goals and if we never counter them then we're going to see these disappointing 1-0s like Wednesday on Tuesday.

Take a look at Liverpool. They've shipped shedloads of goals this season but it hasn't stopped them climbing to 2nd, being in with a very real shot of taking the title and having a goal difference of +45

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The stats speak for themselves - it's all about a lack of goals, having 2 strikers out for the whole season and having loans strikers who've contributed very few goals. Had Oscar known back in July that neither CMS or Hoskins would kick a ball for the 1st XI until April I'm sure he'd have got another striker in for the whole season.

There is no doubt that the management at the club knew the seriousness of the injuries, failure to secure a striker of some standing and then selling Barnes, although I completely understand why, has not seen us well. This is not OG s fault, from the information coming from the club about FFP and the lack of any quality long term loan striker I almost get the feeling that promotion this year is not a club goal. Whatever the championship is exciting as the results are so inconsistent that anything is possible for us.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Take a look at Liverpool. They've shipped shedloads of goals this season but it hasn't stopped them climbing to 2nd, being in with a very real shot of taking the title and having a goal difference of +45

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Not going to win anything though, are they?

I don't really understand all this 'we're too negative' stuff. I understood it that when we were in that phase under Poyet when we were having no shots away from home, but we are creating plenty of chances under Oscar. If anyone other than Ulloa could actually put the ball in the net we'd be closer to 2nd than 9th. I just hope he manages to get someone suitable in during the Summer.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not going to win anything though, are they?

I don't really understand all this 'we're too negative' stuff. I understood it that when we were in that phase under Poyet when we were having no shots away from home, but we are creating plenty of chances under Oscar. If anyone other than Ulloa could actually put the ball in the net we'd be closer to 2nd than 9th. I just hope he manages to get someone suitable in during the Summer.

Depends on what the budget is, I wouldn't expect too much

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Interesting stats -- I don't quite understand the two bits highlighted which seem contradictory (both referring to average goals per game, but with different figures).
Does one refer to goals we scored and the other all goals in a match?
Or does the second one refer to average number of goals we score at home? (as your next line refers to goals at the Amex)?

Lots of writing so cba to read whole threas now. Bur the goals per game stat (1.05) is the amount of goals WE score a game. The goals per match stat (1.89) is the number of total goals scored by both teams in an Albion game :thumbsup:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Lots of writing so cba to read whole threas now. Bur the goals per game stat (1.05) is the amount of goals WE score a game. The goals per match stat (1.89) is the number of total goals scored by both teams in an Albion game :thumbsup:

cheers -- I think I get it now!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Did you see the game against Leicester, Burnley and Wigan? I thought that was our best attacking football.

I also think people's expectations are far too high, just because we reached 4th last season doesn't necessarily mean we have to be managing that again. Poyet's first season in the championship we came 10th, then 4th the next. This season, with all the injuries, we're tinkering with the play-off places. In the same way we sort of did with Poyet's first season. I see this season as a means for Garcia to gauge what needs to be done, what kind of players need to be bought in and got rid off for a real push next season.

We were in some sense, in the same dilemma with Poyet, again, in his first season as a championship manager. Tight defensively, but litle bite going forward. Then in the second season, we were tinkering up in the play-offs this time last season. The style of football changed, it came from passive and slow tactics, to aggressive and fast in the second half of the season. Blackpool showed us that.

I think some people need to stop wetting the bed and lessen their expectations, I expect the back room stuff and the coaching team are working on arrangements for the summer.

This is the best analysis on this thread.
Beyond the points that are often trotted out -- summer disruption, Oscar not having a proper pre-season, club selling two key players in the transfer window, the terrible injury situation with our midfield players especially in the first half of the season, and our forwards throughout the season -- I think Oscar's done well. We have to bear in mind the following:
-- our wide players haven't performed this season, and their goal return has been dire. Buckley 3, KLL 0, March 0, Orlandi 0, Lopez 3, Lingard 0, Conway 2.
-- there's been too much burdened on Leo's shoulders, who's been suspended, then injured, and then took a while to come back, and although he's put goals away, his form hasn't exactly been scintillating this season.
-- there's been no quality back-up up front. Barnes did a solid job when Leo was out, but his goal return was simply not up to it.
-- our goal return from midfield has been poor, with the exception of Crofts, who has been injured for the second half of the season. Ince 0, Andrews 1, JFC 2, Agustein 0, Stephens 0.
Given all this, it's hardly surprising that Oscar's had to secure a solid foundation at the back, otherwise we might be looking at avoiding the bottom three at this stage of the season, rather than being in with a shout of the play-offs. Yes, we all want to win AND to play attractive, attacking football, but that's not easy, especially when opponents spend a heck of a lot more money than us. At times, and I'd argue that the above factors are precisely one of those times, attacking football has to lose out to solidity, and I think Oscar's called it more or less right.
I watched the highlights of the Ipswich and Sheff Wed games last night, and we created a number of chances, so I'm not entirely convinced that the stats so expertly produced by the OP really do provide the full picture.

There is one area, however, and only one where I'm willing to offer a criticism of Oscar. It is only with his midfield selection that I would raise a criticism. Too often this is too defensive, and we've seen Ince, Andrews and JFC start too many games of late (we could also point to his caution with wide players in the middle of the season). Given where we are at the moment and who is available, I really want to see Lopez start today in central midfield, and to return home to NSC with posters affectionally referring to him as Spanish Dave.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I believe we are a weaker team than last season, losing Bridcutt and Barnes has significantly weakened the side, this, with the car crash at the end of last season meant we would find this season difficult. Despite this I am happy with where we are at present and I expect massive activity during the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here