Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stats dont lie

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
Virgin post so apologies if not in sync to usual standard.

A review of the season stats to date supports the themes on the forum in recent times regarding our inability to score and the strength of our defence. However what is interesting is that Oscar is not correct in his statements about how amazing we are at creating chances but he is correct that we couldnt hit a barn door.

Oscar's - "my philiosophy is to attack attack attack"

Average goals scored per game : 1.05 : 18th in the division (Leicester 1.89)
Average goals conceded per game : 0.84 : 2nd in the division (Burnley 0.82)

Conclusion : Granted he has been hampered by multiple injuries but hardly attacking minded

NSC theme in recent weeks : we are dull to watch if you like goals

Average goals per match : 1.89 : 24th and rock bottom in the division (2.92 Derby; no other club below two goals average per game)

Conclusion : Stop being critical of Greer, Bruno etc.....but dont come to the Amex if you want to see goals

Oscar's - " we created XX chances...."

Total shots on target : 135 - 16th in the division (Liecester 184)
Total chances created : 500 - 12th in the division (Leicester 623)
Total hit woodwork : 14 - joint 1st with QPR
the most shocking of all : on target % to total shots : 27% - 23rd in the division (only Blackpool worse)

Conclusion : We create chances consistent with a mid-table team; we have a shocking on target ratio...and we are relatively unlucky (we hit the post often)!!

Notwithstanding all of the above I remain optimistic even if we have to settle for a transition year. I recall exactly at this time last year we went and lost to both Barnsley and Bristol (without a single shot on goal!). The teams around us are also inconsistent. If we were to sneak into the playoffs this year while locally expectations will rise there would / should be much less expectation on the team than last year (and some experience in the playing staff on how to manage the process). We would be underdogs v each of Derby, QPR and Wigan.

UTA

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Great stat bashing...barring a nine game winning streak we are far from being a top 5 side this year - and coming 6th is no way to get promoted. I'm happy for consolidation as long as we emerge from pre season with a solid, goal getting, top 3 contesting squad.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Pretty much confirms what I've seen all this season, pretty football at times, not physical enough, no real end product and getting results is hard work. All very dull tbh it would be nice to properly turn some teams over but I really don't think this is our season, an average one to forget and push on next season. Take this season on the chin, we get them every now and then.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
To match last season's goal total of 69 I think we need something like 3.3 goals a game over the last nine games...

Well, all we need is Lingard putting 4 past the next few teams we play (we know he can do it) and Leo and Buckley chipping in and we're there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The stats speak for themselves - it's all about a lack of goals, having 2 strikers out for the whole season and having loans strikers who've contributed very few goals. Had Oscar known back in July that neither CMS or Hoskins would kick a ball for the 1st XI until April I'm sure he'd have got another striker in for the whole season.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

A review of the season stats to date supports the themes on the forum in recent times regarding our inability to score and the strength of our defence. However what is interesting is that Oscar is not correct in his statements about how amazing we are at creating chances but he is correct that we couldnt hit a barn door.

Conclusion : Granted he has been hampered by multiple injuries but hardly attacking minded

Average goals per match : 1.89 : 24th and rock bottom in the division (2.92 Derby; no other club below two goals average per game)

Conclusion : Stop being critical of Greer, Bruno etc.....but dont come to the Amex if you want to see goals

the most shocking of all : on target % to total shots : 27% - 23rd in the division (only Blackpool worse)

Conclusion : We create chances consistent with a mid-table team; we have a shocking on target ratio...and we are relatively unlucky (we hit the post often)!!

Notwithstanding all of the above I remain optimistic even if we have to settle for a transition year. I recall exactly at this time last year we went and lost to both Barnsley and Bristol (without a single shot on goal!). The teams around us are also inconsistent. If we were to sneak into the playoffs this year while locally expectations will rise there would / should be much less expectation on the team than last year (and some experience in the playing staff on how to manage the process). We would be underdogs v each of Derby, QPR and Wigan.

UTA

We'll pay for seagull player for another season as it'll be the same next season as well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Great stat bashing...barring a nine game winning streak we are far from being a top 5 side this year - and coming 6th is no way to get promoted. I'm happy for consolidation as long as we emerge from pre season with a solid, goal getting, top 3 contesting squad.

Agree, going to the Prem via the playoffs is just a wild card, and although I would take it if it happened I would much prefer storming the league next season or coming a close 3rd in it and going into the playoffs as firm favourites.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Agree, going to the Prem via the playoffs is just a wild card, and although I would take it if it happened I would much prefer storming the league next season or coming a close 3rd in it and going into the playoffs as firm favourites.

Wasn't that what happened last season?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looking at our stats and the season, things started understandably average but leading up to xmas we were starting to put in some great performances , had the odd game where we scored a few and even won 3 on the trot. Things were coming together very nicely.

Then from January onwards whilst at times the form has been alright we just seem to of gone backwards as a team , even when you analyse most the games we have won there are negatives to be found. The management team have been unable to change it or at least seem to refuse to try to much radical / different approach.

9th in table doesnt concern me , not play offs doesnt , going backwards over a season does and especially when it all should of been down hill after getting through the new manager phase and injury crisis(s).

January transfer window was a shocker and yes that can be looked at to be a reason but not the sole reason.

Last 10 games / play off run in I hope Jones and OG will step up and make some tough decisions if needed. If we whimper to the season end then the yearly report on those 2 wont be favourable. If they can get us firing a bit more then the yearly report can be good even if we miss the play offs.

Starts tomorrow at 2pm when the team sheet is given out !

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

I'm pretty sure we were favourites last season, despite Watford finishing above us. We were the form team going into the playoffs having won four of the last five and going unbeaten in nine.

Fat lot of good it did us

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

UTA

Interesting stats -- I don't quite understand the two bits highlighted which seem contradictory (both referring to average goals per game, but with different figures).
Does one refer to goals we scored and the other all goals in a match?
Or does the second one refer to average number of goals we score at home? (as your next line refers to goals at the Amex)?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looking at our stats and the season, things started understandably average but leading up to xmas we were starting to put in some great performances , had the odd game where we scored a few and even won 3 on the trot. Things were coming together very nicely.

Then from January onwards whilst at times the form has been alright we just seem to of gone backwards as a team , even when you analyse most the games we have won there are negatives to be found. The management team have been unable to change it or at least seem to refuse to try to much radical / different approach.

9th in table doesnt concern me , not play offs doesnt , going backwards over a season does and especially when it all should of been down hill after getting through the new manager phase and injury crisis(s).

January transfer window was a shocker and yes that can be looked at to be a reason but not the sole reason.

Last 10 games / play off run in I hope Jones and OG will step up and make some tough decisions if needed. If we whimper to the season end then the yearly report on those 2 wont be favourable. If they can get us firing a bit more then the yearly report can be good even if we miss the play offs.

Starts tomorrow at 2pm when the team sheet is given out !

The going backwards is exactly what worries me. Last night I did something extremely sad and anal. I wondered if the rant I had on my blog about our strikers was either unfair or, more likely, inconsistent so I read back the early ones as I knew i'd defended Oscar. Sure enough up to the end of December I was fairly complimentary and he was one of the heroes of my half term report. Since then the tone has been much more negative and it represents the backwards step that we've taken. I also thought we had had a half decent January window given the financial constraints. Retrospectively it seems that wasn't correct, though I was expecting CMS to come back and Rodriguez to be an Oscar type of player, rather than basically useless. We need to find a way to get out of reverse gear. I honestly have no idea what that is, but a big win tomorrow might start off the momentum.

OP- excellent first post, you can come again.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
we are so much better when we move the ball quicker and when we up the tempo and can we not be affraid to have shots on goal and not try and score the prefect goal by trying to walk it in like barcelona or real madrid and others do

Nice work Adub68 - gives the lie to this idea we create a lot of chances, we don't. Yes we do miss a lot of the limited number we create but that's partly down to picking just one recognised striker and failing to bring in goal scorers in the last two transfer windows

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here