Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What time would you prefer evening kick offs to be?

What time would you prefer evening kick offs to be?

• Earlier than 7.30pm

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • 7.30pm

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • 7.45pm

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • 8.00pm

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Later than 8.00pm

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Would you like it earlier so the kids could go, or later to give you a chance to get there from work, or is 7.45pm already perfect?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Would you like it earlier so the kids could go, or later to give you a chance to get there from work, or is 7.45pm already perfect?

In regards to the early side, one has to consider that any earlier and it would be increasingly harder to get to the game from the further parts of Sussex, let alone outside the county. So yeah the earlier start may help those in the Brighton area but will make things a lot more difficult for those who are not.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
8pm, but only because I work in London. Sometimes struggle to get to a 7.45

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Didn't evening games kick off at 7.30 years ago? Anyone know when the times changed, and the reasons given for the change.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
7:45 is spot on for midweek IMHO, earlier and it'd be hard to get there, later and it's too late for work the next day. But I'd be perfectly happy for Friday ones to be later. 9 or 9:30 would be great.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They kicked off at 8 at Withdean until the locals complained about it keeping their children awake.

Did they? I went to all Withdean games but don't recall this. But I acknowledge that I could have forgotten.

I would be happy with a move to 8pm next season, would certainly make it slightly less of a rush to get over from work. That said I might feel differently if both giraffe juniors were a little younger.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Did they? I went to all Withdean games but don't recall this. But I acknowledge that I could have forgotten.

I would be happy with a move to 8pm next season, would certainly make it slightly less of a rush to get over from work. That said I might feel differently if both giraffe juniors were a little younger.
Yes they definitely did, though I'm struggling to find any match reports from the '99-00 season!

I am sure that games used to be 20:00 at the Goldstone, the challenge was to then get away in time to make last orders at the Cock on the A26. These were the days of no Brighton bypass, the Cock being on on the main A26 then pre road alterations.In Sussex, pubs still shutting at 22:30 on weekdays. ....And you could go out with just One Guinea, match, hot dog, programme plus a pint of King and Barnes and come back with Two Guineas change.

Perhaps Hiney could solve this conundrum by looking out some old programmes for midweek games?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Worth a bounce I think given the train problems experienced by some last night. Would a later kick off help?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem is not the kick off time but the inefficient travel arrangements after games that is the area that needs to be improved as many have to leave early to be able to catch a train home.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am sure that games used to be 20:00 at the Goldstone, the challenge was to then get away in time to make last orders at the Cock on the A26. These were the days of no Brighton bypass, the Cock being on on the main A26 then pre road alterations.In Sussex, pubs still shutting at 22:30 on weekdays. ....And you could go out with just One Guinea, match, hot dog, programme plus a pint of King and Barnes and come back with Two Guineas change.

Perhaps Hiney could solve this conundrum by looking out some old programmes for midweek games?

As others have said, Goldstone games were 7:30 in the 70's and then moved to 7:45.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem is not the kick off time but the inefficient travel arrangements after games that is the area that needs to be improved as many have to leave early to be able to catch a train home.

Despite previous postings on the train situation I have seen trains from Brighton go onto platform 5 at Lewes then back out again. Why could they not run a shuttle service in line with existng schedules going Brighton - Falmer - Lewes - Falmer - Brighton this would clear the crowds quicker and perhaps enable people to catch their onward train connections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here