Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deaf woman hears for the very first time

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Amazing scenes! :clap2:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well that made me cry.

Having been through the cochlear implant procedure, I can partially share her joy. However, I had hearing up until 20 and very little until 31, so not quite the same excitement, but exciting nonetheless.

It is a magical experience. Hearing yourself pee, hearing foxes mating at 3am, hearing your car beep at you when you leave your lights on, ad infinitum.

I wrote some blogs about my experiences.

These are three of them. The operation, being turned on and then turned up.

http://thebaronofsussex.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/operation-i-beg-your-pardon/

http://thebaronofsussex.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/testing-testing-1-2-3/

http://thebaronofsussex.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/turned-on/

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
that is just beautiful

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
This might be a silly question, but.... If she has never heard before how can she understand what is being said to her?
This is a serious question.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This might be a silly question, but.... If she has never heard before how can she understand what is being said to her?

She's probably had some hearing. You can be deaf, but have a little left in the tank. You'd really have to ask someone who was born deaf, I guess.

As an example, a friend of mine is deaf from birth. This is his understanding of the English language...

"My son player football his 3 goals - HAT-TRICK.....!"

"I photo Cat keep warm "home sweet home"

A little hearing, lipreading and phonetics. Ees complicated.

Presumably she signs and has a basic understanding of the English language. The questions are quite simple.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I once "heard" Ashley Barnes was a quality player. Despite believing it too because I "saw" it with my own two eyes, other people who can apparently "hear" and "see" say he's shit. And he's scored for Barnsley since. Sorry, Burnley, didn;t have my glasses on. Can't understand why nobody cheered when he scored though...

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

You have raised my question. The thread says she has heard for the VERY first time. Therefore she hasn't heard any thing before. How can she know what spoken words sound like straight away?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Genuinely fantastic viewing. Heartwarming and quite emotional. :thumbsup:

On a side note they weren't discussing a recent glut of Albion goals were they?:blush:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

I think she is understanding from lip reading - she is hearing noises aka words that her brain has never been able to process previously - so, I suspect she might not understand what she hears for a while.

Edit: Agreed, emotionally, quite touching ....

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
With my luck, if that was me, I would get tinnitus.

Think I might have that, ringing almost constant, sometimes faint and sometimes louder.
Playing/listening to loud music probably started it and being in a band probably isn't helping.
From her first reaction I thought they had played her a One Direction track!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here