Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do people think about the changes underway London Road/ Open Market/ The Level?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm quite impressed ......... was up there at the weekend and it looks like there's some effort being put in .... I know The Level was largely public funded, but the rest seems to be housing association and private investment. No external investors interested in building a folly at the West Pier head, but they seem to be happy to do up London Road.

Do you think it will work?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think the changes will work. Flipping heck even The Hare and Hounds looks worthy of a visit now. The trend is definitely on the up .

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I happen to walk past the Level every Sunday and I think it's a heartwarming sight. The skatepark looks very popular which is great. I popped in the open market and that looks like a very promising space as well.

I popped my head round the door of the Hare and Hounds the other day and they had Burning Sky Plateau on. Big win. It's had a job done on it that reminds me of the Good Campanions, The Wick & The Sovereign.

Excellent stuff all round.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I happen to walk past the Level every Sunday and I think it's a heartwarming sight. The skatepark looks very popular which is great. I popped in the open market and that looks like a very promising space as well.

'Heartwarming' - that's the word.

Self-policed, happy, vibrant. It's a good space.

There's a bit in the hard-area bit where's there's a small boule area with concrete tables and chairs around the outside; the tables have chessboards printed on them. For some reason, it sets 'MacArthur Park' off in my head.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

There's a bit in the hard-area bit where's there's a small boule area with concrete tables and chairs around the outside; the tables have chessboards printed on them. For some reason, it sets 'MacArthur Park' off in my head.

It's well thought out and perfect for the community its serving. I know the council have taken flak for other projects in the city but the level, open market, the station and seven dials are transforming into much better adverts for the city than what we had previously.

Are they value for money? You tell me?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agree with this analysis. The Level's skatepark is so well used and appreciated by the BMX/skateboard/rollerblade/some-other-wheeled-development-that's-escaping-my-attention.
London Road was long overdue some development. There are signs that with the new Open Market development and the prospective Sussex Uni digs are already having an effect. All of this is encouraging. As someone else stated, it'd be good if Lewes Road had a touch of vibrancy added to it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's well thought out and perfect for the community its serving. I know the council have taken flak for other projects in the city but the level, open market, the station and seven dials are transforming into much better adverts for the city than what we had previously.

Agreed. London Road and Ditchling Road were unpleasant walks into town. Was always glad when I'd got through them.

Are they value for money? You tell me?

Can you put a price on this kind of thing?

The Level's revamp (£2.1m) was paid for by the Heritage Lottery Fund. I appreciate that this is still a publicly funded project, and there are some who don't believe in public funds being spent on making spaces better, but it wasn't going to happen otherwise.

Café Velo isn't too shabby either. I believe - though stand to be corrected - that it's a co-operative of five local coffee suppliers in one place.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

hahahahaha , if I didn't know who you were id have you down as a spoof account , you're a caricature , several viz cartoon strips must've been based on you.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
hahahahaha , if I didn't know who you were id have you down as a spoof account , you're a caricature , several viz cartoon strips must've been based on you.....

Could say the same for you...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Pot calling the kettle black

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here