Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only Ulloa can Score

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
OG on where our strategy is, he told seagulls.co.uk, “It was a very cruel blow, we were much better than them and I felt we deserved to win – but with our main striker and goalscorer missing through illness that made it very hard for us to score a goal tonight.
Is this an admission that our strategy revolves around Ulloa or that there is little confidence from the management that anyone else can score for us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Fishing trip?
Reading too much into something someone who's primary language is Spanish said in English?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does that come across in his instructions to the players, or his tactics? I'm not against OG and this was posted on our official website with all of its cavaets and editing. I am asking a simple question.

Simple answer is no. It is obvious to most people that "but with our main striker and goalscorer missing" means "main striker and main goal scorer". No one can deny that most teams have a main goal scorer, maybe two. Take that player out of any team they are likely to score fewer goals.

So of course someone interpreting it as "main striker and only person in the team who can score" is going to be seen as fishing.

We didnt have Ulloa for half a season last year and still finished 4th. Fed up of the excuses really.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I believe he's said he would like more strikers but it's too late now, even with CMS and Hoskins on the way back.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
We didnt have Ulloa for half a season last year and still finished 4th. Fed up of the excuses really.

I agree, Ulloa is one player. We should not be so reliant.
We let Barnes go and didn't replace.
If the main striker is so important to our style of play then we should have broke the bank to get one. Even if that involved selling Buckley.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If the main striker is so important to our style of play then we should have broke the bank to get one. Even if that involved selling Buckley.

And it's the type of striker as much as anything else. CMS & Hoskins are not replacements for Leo.

Barnes could do a job there but really I think we need something a bit stronger.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ulloa is the reason we finished fourth. Just before he signed, we only had won 1 game in previous 10. But we only lost 1 of the 15 games he played in last season, partly thanks to his 9 goals.

We lost five of the 19 games he played. (3 of 16 regular league games). The ten games before he joined included three wins and only 2 losses.

Him & Crofts are the only two players we can really rely on to score goals, when they're both out we are pretty hopeless.

But how did that happen this season? Last season the goals were spread around the team pretty evenly. We actually had 5 players who had 8 championship goals or more (or 8 players with 3 goals or more). The team-building in terms of scorers seems to have been ballsed up somewhere along the line this year

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Ulloa is the reason we finished fourth. Just before he signed, we only had won 1 game in previous 10. But we only lost 1 of the 15 games he played in last season, partly thanks to his 9 goals.

Shamefully incorrect statistics, why bother stating so many incorrect figures that all happen to back up your story and half a dozen are all wrong. Disgraceful

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Simple answer is no. It is obvious to most people that "but with our main striker and goalscorer missing" means "main striker and main goal scorer". No one can deny that most teams have a main goal scorer, maybe two. Take that player out of any team they are likely to score fewer goals.

So of course someone interpreting it as "main striker and only person in the team who can score" is going to be seen as fishing.

I don't think this was lost in translation and that we have two strikers on the injury list is not OGs fault. I was attempting to highlight our reliance on Ulloa and the pressure he is under. The suggestion being that without him playing the manager and management of the club have an excuse. We should not be so reliant on one individual and the director of football should have had the foresight to avoid the situation we find ourselves in with regard to strikers. Jesse I feel was a late choice and he is not going to deliver what we need.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here