Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why I Don’t Sing at the Amex?

I don’t sing at the Amex because…

• I’m a middle-class southerner, for heaven’s sake, and we just don’t do that sort of thing down here.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I’d rather chew off my own arm than sing in front of a bunch of complete strangers.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t start singing for no good reason in Waitrose. Why on earth should I do it at the Amex?

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I’ve got a terrible voice anyway, and my wife totally forbids it.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No one else in my row/block/stand/stadium does it, so why should I? Besides, I’d feel silly.

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • I’ve got far better things to do with my time than learn all the words to Alll-bi-onnnn.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I already clap along to Sussex by the Sea (admittedly out of step) What more do you people want?

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
With all the excitement building of a home game (sorry, massive game) against Middlesbrough, thought it might be useful to find out why so many of our supporters don’t make very much noise. So, a poll. Hardly scientific, admittedly, but some horrible truths might possibly emerge from the woodwork.

Please be reassured that this poll is utterly anonymous, so your guilty secret will be preserved into eternity. So now, time to fess up.

I don’t sing at the Amex because…

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
.....I'm too self-conscious. Plus I don't really want to. Is that good enough?

I do a fair bit of shouting though, if that helps :)

Last edited:

I do, I sing Sussex by the Sea, the correct version.

After that, I tend not to sing WS/NS song as we've been there for 3 years now and pretty sure the North know we are the west by now.
Albbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbyawn doesn't really do it for me.
And, I dislike Palace but don't hate them enough to get off my padded seat, and we aren't playing them so it doesn't really count.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I get annoyed enough to swear but seldom excited enough to sing. No really loud focal point of song anywhere in the ground. Dirge that is Al-Bi-On.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We have too many dirges, that bloke in the north west corner seems to have dreamt another one up every single game and then wonders why they don't catch on - the clue is that they are shit.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
For what its worth I think we're one of the BEST home support atmospheres in the division on our day! QPR was absolutely deafening in the North.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I sing because I'm in the north west corner and most around me do. I find I sing louder after : or 3 beers.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
- Because singing makes no discernible difference to the outcome of a match.
- Because it's best to give the players some peace and quiet to help them concentrate on the matter in hand
- Because many of our songs are anti-Palace rather pro-Albion.
- Because 'go left' is an uninspiring dirge of a song
- Because I'm not very good at singing.
- Because I didn't pay this money to join a choir.
- Because I paid to get in - that's me showing support, rather than letting people know which stand I'm sitting in
- Because I am not drinking alcohol while watching the match
- Because I'm busy watching the match.

Oh, and...
- Because Brighton play an uninspiring, patient game that doesn't inspire often a rush of adrenalin that is conducive to singing

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
i love to sing (not very good)
but people in my area (N1H) do not sing along and most of the time i will be singing with another part of the north but know body joins in. i love the feeling of everyone singing together and the atmosphere it can create, just wish others would sing with me

i love to sing (not very good)
but people in my area (N1H) do not sing along and most of the time i will be singing with another part of the north but know body joins in. i love the feeling of everyone singing together and the atmosphere it can create, just wish others would sing with me

Sounds like a young Hitler,don't forget how that all started:blush:

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I don't quite understand the obsession with singing at football. Moreso, the obsession of getting others to sing at football.

I'm not against it - I sometimes get involved. But sometimes I just can't be arsed or I'm not in the mood. I feel I'm able to make that decision without seeking approval from those around me or having to apologise retrospectively in polls such as this.

I don't quite understand the obsession with singing at football. Moreso, the obsession of getting others to sing at football.

I'm not against it - I sometimes get involved. But sometimes I just can't be arsed or I'm not in the mood. I feel I'm able to make that decision without seeking approval from those around me or having to apologise retrospectively in polls such as this.

Sounds like neville chamberlain all over again,grow some???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Because at home games I'm in 1901 and hardly anyone does. My neighbour and I sing GOSBTS, Albiooooon and I sing some of the player-specific songs, but the peer pressure not to sing is really pretty high.

At away games, I tend to stand somewhere close to the guys who start nearly all the songs and sing along merrily. However, I have a horrible, high squeaky voice while singing (which is odd since I have an averagely deep male speaking voice) and I get embarrassed. It doesn't stop me singing, but I do tend to sing more quietly than I would if my singing voice were more manly.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

there you have it folks....!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's time to reintroduce this word back into the football lexicon: spectators.

In previous eras, it seems football supporters didn't have a problem with being known as 'spectators.' It wasn't an insult. Nor did they seem to get neurotic because no one has sung an 'organised' song for the previous ten minutes. Not that crowds were silent. Just more spontaneous and authentic.

It's only in modern times with so much money at stake in the game (and higher levels of vanity) that supporters have got rather big for their boots and imagine themselves as the '12th man' who can influence whole games. It's through this that we've got all this navel gazing about there was an 'atmosphere' or not, or which stand was the noisiest. Before, it was all about watching and enjoying the game itself.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
i love the whole football experience, i love going along to watch Brighton play and i really like singing along as i think myself that it can boost the team and it generally makes for a good day/evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here