Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A League of Nations (Divisional football at International level)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Been given the green light but do we need more football?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26762899

A "League of Nations" competition intended as a third major tournament for European countries after the World Cup and European Championship has been given the go-ahead by Uefa.
The competition, which starts in September 2018, will also provide four qualifying spots for Euro 2020.
Uefa is still discussing the details of the format, but there will be four divisions - sub-divided into four smaller pools - and each division will have a 'final four' competition between the winners of each pool.

There will be promotion and relegation between divisions.
The tournament will replace most international friendly fixtures, with pool matches played between September and November 2018 and the 'final four' competition for each division played in 2019.
The opportunity to qualify for the European Championships is intended to make the League of Nations competitive.
"Twenty teams will advance from the qualifying competition to the Euro 2020 finals - which are being played in 13 cities around Europe," Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told delegates at the authority's Congress in Kazakhstan on Thursday.

"That leaves four extra slots to be filled and they will come from four teams from the Nations League who have not otherwise qualified."
On current ranking, England would be in the top division alongside the likes of Spain, Germany and Italy. Each division would then be divided into pools of three or four teams, with the winners of each pool qualifying for a semi-final and final, played at neutral venues.
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - ranked 31, 34 and 39 respectively by Uefa - could find themselves playing each other in the third or fourth divisions using the current national team coefficient.
While matches will be played on dates reserved for friendlies, there will still be flexibility for smaller countries to arrange high-profile fixtures with bigger European teams and for nations to play friendlies against national sides from outside Europe.
The Football Association has backed the plan, with chairman Greg Dyke saying earlier this month: "The hard thing is the detail but I think a Nations League where we played the top nations would be very attractive."

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
At first reading I was sceptical, but getting rid of friendlies and making all international games competitive could only improve the standard.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This sounds far too sensible, it will never be allowed.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
In theory it is a good idea, however most of the top sides, such as Germany and Spain SHOULD win their Euro qualifying group, therefore there is a lower incentive for them to field full sides in this. This could well lessen the impact on the competition and make it more attractive to sides such as Portugal, France, Denmark etc who may not be guaranteed qualification through the groups or playoffs. Timing will be everything as well. If you know you have already qualified for the Euro's there is less incentive.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
It's not more football, it's just better football.

I'd much rather see us play in a competive environment against Spain, Germany etc... than in dire friendlies. Also, the embarressment of relegation from the top division will spur the players on to try a bit harder. I like the idea, might make England more watchable.

I would also like to see that whever a player pulls out of an international squad, they are automatically ineligible to play for their club in the clubs following league game. No excuses. Should stop players from pulling out with phantom injuries. I know it's a rule now, but it's rarely enforced by the relevant nation, to save face. It should be centrally enforced by FIFA / UEFA to avoid club v country conflict.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
It's not more football, it's just better football.

I'd much rather see us play in a competive environment against Spain, Germany etc... than in dire friendlies. Also, the embarressment of relegation from the top division will spur the players on to try a bit harder. I like the idea, might make England more watchable.

I would also like to see that whever a player pulls out of an international squad, they are automatically ineligible to play for their club in the clubs following league game. No excuses. Should stop players from pulling out with phantom injuries. I know it's a rule now, but it's rarely enforced by the relevant nation, to save face. It should be centrally enforced by FIFA / UEFA to avoid club v country conflict.

Surely then the international teams should also foot part of the player's salary. What is the point of a club paying a players wage if they can't field him?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
In theory it is a good idea, however most of the top sides, such as Germany and Spain SHOULD win their Euro qualifying group, therefore there is a lower incentive for them to field full sides in this. This could well lessen the impact on the competition and make it more attractive to sides such as Portugal, France, Denmark etc who may not be guaranteed qualification through the groups or playoffs. Timing will be everything as well. If you know you have already qualified for the Euro's there is less incentive.

Surely an opportunity to play the younger players in a competitve match, rather than a pointless friendly, against the 'weaker' sides.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Surely then the international teams should also foot part of the player's salary. What is the point of a club paying a players wage if they can't field him?

I agree they should pay a part, however look at poor nations with amazing players, could you have imagined Cameroon ever being able to afford any part of Eto'os salary? International football SHOULD be seen as the pinnacle of football. And anyway, if a player is genuinely injured, then if he's forced to miss the next league game it shouldn't matter anyway, as he's injured. The sheer amount of 'small knocks' picked up just before internationals which result in full recoveries at some point in the 3 day break after the international break and before the league games is truly amazing.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I bet we get drawn against the Weimar Republic again!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree they should pay a part, however look at poor nations with amazing players, could you have imagined Cameroon ever being able to afford any part of Eto'os salary? International football SHOULD be seen as the pinnacle of football. And anyway, if a player is genuinely injured, then if he's forced to miss the next league game it shouldn't matter anyway, as he's injured. The sheer amount of 'small knocks' picked up just before internationals which result in full recoveries at some point in the 3 day break after the international break and before the league games is truly amazing.

"Should be" or "was?" Genuine question.

I think the horse has already bolted as far as club vs country is concerned.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A League Cup for European international football? What a bad idea. It will detract from the uniqueness of the European Championship for starters, which used to be a top quality competition when it was for 8 teams, passable when it was for 16 teams but a bloated beast now with 20+ teams at the finals stage.

Secondly, it will mean the football season will extend until June every season, meaning the top players get less rest. This will compromise quality. I can as a result the Premier League might wish to reduce to 18 teams from 20 to free up time, and I can see this being coupled with a request to cut the number of teams relegated from 3 to 2.

And for what? So England might beat a second-string Italian team in the semis and Denmark in the final to be crowned The Johnstones's Paint Trophy League Of Nations Champions??

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely it would completely destroy international for the lesser nations, who would never get to play the top nations, and would therefore never get decent crowds, etc. Or have I missed something?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here