Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Nigel Farage end up a great British political leader?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think he actually comes over as more of a passionate man that actually believes in what he is saying than all the other leaders, Although he is a kind of Bob Crow figure that evokes strong views.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Can anyone advise me of any other leaders whose political parties have absolutely no seats in Parliament who receive the same quantity of media coverage as Farage does?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think he actually comes over as more of a passionate man that actually believes in what he is saying than all the other leaders, Although he is a kind of Bob Crow figure that evokes strong views.

This - I'd rather have people like Farage in politics than the current "career" politicians across both main parties.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can anyone advise me of any other leaders whose political parties have absolutely no seats in Parliament who receive the same quantity of media coverage as Farage does?

Indeed... but he does get between 9-15% in opinion polls... and more in EU elections... not dissimilar to the Liberals at the moment :nono:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You sense 2014-15 is his big moment in the spotlight. One day there will be a referendum, we'll vote to stay IN and UKIP will be over as a political force.

In some ways it will be a shame because his "man of the people" style definitely works and the 3 main parties would kill to have some of that appeal.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Thus making him the Di Canio of politics surely?

Personally, I can see UKIP gaining a few seats at the next election, doing nothing of note with the small foothold it gains them and then fading into obscurity.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Indeed... but he does get between 9-15% in opinion polls... and more in EU elections... not dissimilar to the Liberals at the moment :nono:

But not a single seat at the last general election- when no overall majority proved that people could be swayed in their vote. And yet not a single UKIP seat was won, even as a protest vote.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

no. but what people think, and who they put an x next to in an election in the UK, are far from the same thing.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But not a single seat at the last general election- when no overall majority proved that people could be swayed in their vote. And yet not a single UKIP seat was won, even as a protest vote.

Maybe he has friends in high places and the media, I would have thought a party like UKIP might be a strong advocate for no cut backs in the Police and other services and grab your vote Edna :blush:

I personally have no trust in any party whatsoever, but it never harms to have parties that strong ideas to shake things up a little and make the main parties work for your vote. All the parties have some good ideas and have some terrible ideas no one party is the golden ticket and should not be ridiculed because you personally do not like them, that is such a narrow minded attitude to have on life and politics.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This - I'd rather have people like Farage in politics than the current "career" politicians across both main parties.

I agree there's little to choose, or for that matter like, out of the other leaders, but I dread to think what a mess this rank amateur would cause if he ever had any real power. He may come across as passionate, but it doesn't make him right.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I agree there's little to choose, or for that matter like, out of the other leaders, but I dread to think what a mess this rank amateur would cause if he ever had any real power. He may come across as passionate, but it doesn't make him right.

Hi Tricky hows you, hope all is well.

I agree with you about being in charge, but if you do not have characters around like him and Bob Crow then there is never anyone to compare those in charge with, and sometimes they do have good ideas and intentions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
no. but what people think, and who they put an x next to in an election in the UK, are far from the same thing.

Agreed. Parties like UKIP do make a small dent in things when it comes to council and European Parliamentary elections, and even the occasional by-election, because that's where people feel safe to make a cheeky little "protest vote", isn't it? Somewhere they perceive that it doesn't really matter so much when it's only the council, or an MEP, or a by-election candidate who they could conceivably vote out after a year or two.

But even these sort of candidates- be they independents, single-issue campaigners, Monster Raving Loonies, UKIP or BNP types, don't tend to win the necessary majority when it comes to a general election. For whatever reason, people perceive their vote in a general election to be more important/valuable, and stick with what they know.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe he has friends in high places and the media, I would have thought a party like UKIP might be a strong advocate for no cut backs in the Police and other services and grab your vote Edna :blush:

I personally have no trust in any party whatsoever, but it never harms to have parties that strong ideas to shake things up a little and make the main parties work for your vote. All the parties have some good ideas and have some terrible ideas no one party is the golden ticket and should not be ridiculed because you personally do not like them, that is such a narrow minded attitude to have on life and politics.

Completely agree that it's important for there to be different options out there, at least it makes people think, and, as you say, keeps the big political parties on their toes whenever they lose a by-election to, say, Colin Smithers (Keep Dingwall Hospital Maternity Unit Open Party) or (shudder) George Galloway.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Agreed. Parties like UKIP do make a small dent in things when it comes to council and European Parliamentary elections, and even the occasional by-election, because that's where people feel safe to make a cheeky little "protest vote", isn't it? Somewhere they perceive that it doesn't really matter so much when it's only the council, or an MEP, or a by-election candidate who they could conceivably vote out after a year or two.

But even these sort of candidates- be they independents, single-issue campaigners, Monster Raving Loonies, UKIP or BNP types, don't tend to win the necessary majority when it comes to a general election. For whatever reason, people perceive their vote in a general election to be more important/valuable, and stick with what they know.

people are pragmatic and or dont have the courage of their convictions. would you mention it to anyone at work that you had voted UKIP edna?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Different voting systems result in different outcomes.

With the first past the post voting system for general elections it is very difficult for the smaller parties to gain seats in Parliament. European elections use a system more closely aligned with proportional representation.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Different voting systems result in different outcomes.

With the first past the post voting system for general elections it is very difficult for the smaller parties to gain seats in Parliament. European elections use a system more closely aligned with proportional representation.

i have got a feeling edna is probably aware of that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here