Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passport Check and Send service

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Anybody used this and know if it's worth paying the extra for? Just renewing a passport and it says that using it will reduce the chances of you being rejected. Is that realistic or is the normal online application form straightforward? Other than checking that your photo meets the criteria (which are pretty clear to me) not sure what they do.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Use it, it's good...fill out your form on-line, they post it to you, get it witnessed and take that into a main post office. They will check and send and you'll get your passport back within two weeks or so. Easy peasy. Just be careful to sign within the borders of the box - caused a difference of opinion between me and the chap in the PO.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The chances of you being rejected if you're renewing and can fill in a form are rather remote. That said, I've used it just for peace of mind and the get the new passports back quickly and it was worth the money.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Once my wife used it, and it was still rejected (can't remember if it was an issue with the photo or signature or whatever), but they did give her a refund for the additional Check & Save bit.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Use it, it's good...fill out your form on-line, they post it to you, get it witnessed and take that into a main post office. They will check and send and you'll get your passport back within two weeks or so. Easy peasy. Just be careful to sign within the borders of the box - caused a difference of opinion between me and the chap in the PO.

Funny you should say that last bit because when I did it last time ten years ago I seem to remember the same thing. The bloke saying they might not accept it because I'd signed outside the box. It took three months to get my passport although my previous one had been stolen!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Funny you should say that last bit because when I did it last time ten years ago I seem to remember the same thing. The bloke saying they might not accept it because I'd signed outside the box. It took three months to get my passport although my previous one had been stolen!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Con and a waste of money.
If you cant fill out a form and get your signature within the box, get photos from a camera shop and send it off, I feel for you.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Waste of money. As long as you are thorough in completing and reading application shouldn't need that service. I'm tighter than a gnat's chuff so refused to use it even though my daughter needed her passport in a hurry, gambled on doing it ourselves and still got the passport issued in plenty of time.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Disagree. If the PO assistant is good you are able to choose how quickly you want it and they will refund you if they get wrong. Depends on how much you value the few quid versus your time really...

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Definitely worth it if you are rubbish at filling out forms, don't follow instructions to the letter or have gone down the route of getting a photo from a photo booth. My other half fell into the trap of her signature touching the boarder of the signature box and getting a cheap photo (can't remember the exact problem but think it was something to do with the colour of the background) and would have had her application rejected had she not used that service. Also, if it's a renewal then they will make a decision as to whether your 'now' and 'then' photos are significantly different as I seem to remember that that issue makes a difference as to whether you need someone to witness/sign the photos.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've never used it but I do sign a few passport applications for friends. The latest one I did was a renewal and her picture wasn't much different from the previous but the Post Office had told her, wrongly, she needed it countersigned.
I personally wouldn't bother, as long as you read the form you should be fine.

I also use https://www.epassportphoto.com/ for free passport pics

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here