Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A view from the other side

pearshaped

Mar 25, 2014
We were rock bottom and only had one win all season when Gray took over in December so it's fair to say we're all in dreamland that we're now 13th and looking at a possible top ten finish. Not bad considering Gray was only ever supposed to be a caretaker.

Do you or Forest actually want that last playoff spot?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We were rock bottom and only had one win all season when Gray took over in December so it's fair to say we're all in dreamland that we're now 13th and looking at a possible top ten finish. Not bad considering Gray was only ever supposed to be a caretaker.

Do you or Forest actually want that last playoff spot?

Lol...from the last 2 results you'd think not...but then the previous 4 matches you'd think differently...sums up our season ...stop start splutter...i think we've only been in the top six once...Forest on the other hand :ffsparr:

pearshaped

Mar 25, 2014
Reading as well. When we played them at the Madesjki I think they'd scored 12 in their last two home games so I was expecting a thumping but we outplayed them and they've struggled at home ever since. Can't see past Wigan winning the playoffs.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Just a quick point: you think Kirkland got "clattered" by Solly March?

I accept you don't know our players but...you've just made Andre Marriner look eagle-eyed there :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Solly March:

e4yzuvy7.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Kazenga LuaLua:

2y3e6yga.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reading as well. When we played them at the Madesjki I think they'd scored 12 in their last two home games so I was expecting a thumping but we outplayed them and they've struggled at home ever since. Can't see past Wigan winning the playoffs.

I think predicting anything in this league (at the top) is difficult...apart from Leicester and Burnley going up

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
No worries. To be honest, from where I sat, it was a 50/50 challenge, not a lot wrong with it. Most keepers would have walked away but Kirkland does tend to break easily (that and it was so late, so he was always going to milk it, can't blame him for that).

He was fascinating to watch last night. I've never seen a keeper with so many nervous tics. Ball goes up the other end- he runs to the net, looks at his collection of drinks & towels, goes to the other side of the net to select another- presumably luckier- drink, sips that. Kicks the posts twice with his heels, facing up the pitch. Adjusts shorts. Repeats ad infinitum.

It was bizarre. Made me suspect that, unlucky though he's undoubtedly been in his career, there seems to be a lot going on in his head, and that if he feels he has to shuffle around and go through all these little routines, perhaps some of his "injuries" are also psychological rather than physical. Twice last night he ended up on the floor, grimacing, after nothing challenges. It's like he fears getting hurt and has to check everything's ok after every encounter.

Decent keeper, but made of balsa wood (physically as well as in his head).

pearshaped

Mar 25, 2014
No worries. To be honest, from where I sat, it was a 50/50 challenge, not a lot wrong with it. Most keepers would have walked away but Kirkland does tend to break easily (that and it was so late, so he was always going to milk it, can't blame him for that).

He was fascinating to watch last night. I've never seen a keeper with so many nervous tics. Ball goes up the other end- he runs to the net, looks at his collection of drinks & towels, goes to the other side of the net to select another- presumably luckier- drink, sips that. Kicks the posts twice with his heels, facing up the pitch. Adjusts shorts. Repeats ad infinitum.

It was bizarre. Made me suspect that, unlucky though he's undoubtedly been in his career, there seems to be a lot going on in his head, and that if he feels he has to shuffle around and go through all these little routines, perhaps some of his "injuries" are also psychological rather than physical. Twice last night he ended up on the floor, grimacing, after nothing challenges. It's like he fears getting hurt and has to check everything's ok after every encounter.

Decent keeper, but made of balsa wood (physically as well as in his head).

Interesting, cheers for that. When he first signed, inevitably there was a lot of concern about his injury record and there were some rumours doing the rounds that he had cancelled his own contract before he'd even played a game for us. But I don't think he missed a game last season and deservedly won most of our Player of the Year awards after single-handedly keeping us in games at times.

This season has been more of the same and, despite being bizarrely dropped in November, and being rested for Cup games, his first real injury at the club was earlier this month meaning he missed a couple of games. I think you're right about the psychological issues he probably has given his horrendous injury record and similarly to Sam Hutchinson, who we have on loan from Chelsea, there's probably a sense that the next injury could be a career-ender. That said, he's been fantastic for us for the last two seasons and we're all desperate for Kirkland to sign a new contract ASAP.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Just a quick point: you think Kirkland got "clattered" by Solly March?

I accept you don't know our players but...you've just made Andre Marriner look eagle-eyed there :lolol:

Reminds me of that joke about David Beckham being shown pictures of united players when they were babies and having to guess who they were. Points at one and says "Is that Ryan Giggs?" It was Andy Cole.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting, cheers for that. When he first signed, inevitably there was a lot of concern about his injury record and there were some rumours doing the rounds that he had cancelled his own contract before he'd even played a game for us. But I don't think he missed a game last season and deservedly won most of our Player of the Year awards after single-handedly keeping us in games at times.

This season has been more of the same and, despite being bizarrely dropped in November, and being rested for Cup games, his first real injury at the club was earlier this month meaning he missed a couple of games. I think you're right about the psychological issues he probably has given his horrendous injury record and similarly to Sam Hutchinson, who we have on loan from Chelsea, there's probably a sense that the next injury could be a career-ender. That said, he's been fantastic for us for the last two seasons and we're all desperate for Kirkland to sign a new contract ASAP.

Fair enough :)

I had no idea he'd been ever present last season. I guess at his age and with his record, that's all he's probably aiming for, just to play consistently. Shame he never really fulfilled his early promise, though at least his old man cleaned up on his bet thanks to his one England appearance. I reckon he's bound to sign a new deal with you guys- if you've spent your entire career being injured or not getting in a team, I'd bite the hand off the first team I played for where I had a consistent run of injury-free games. And with all due respect, I can't imagine other clubs will be queuing up to offer him a deal, even if he's been brilliant for Wednesday, simply because of his record (well, Leeds will need a keeper I suppose, when Paddy Kenny follows Warnock to wherever he ends up next...).

He was just intriguing to watch, that's all. I presumed they brought the stretcher and neck brace out at the end simply because it was Kirkland, that's the routine :wink:

pearshaped

Mar 25, 2014
I presumed they brought the stretcher and neck brace out at the end simply because it was Kirkland, that's the routine :wink:

Bit harsh! Just seen it again and he takes a right old thwack on the ground after contact is made by March :wink:

Hope other clubs think the same as you've said about Kirkland BTW, there were rumours he was off to Hull in January but I'd like to think he will stay if we offer him a two-year deal

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Bit harsh! Just seen it again and he takes a right old thwack on the ground after contact is made by March :wink:

Hope other clubs think the same as you've said about Kirkland BTW, there were rumours he was off to Hull in January but I'd like to think he will stay if we offer him a two-year deal

I honestly think he will. He must be settled now, and sometimes when you're on to a good thing, you should stick with it. Besides, he strikes me as so superstitious, he won't want to risk his luck changing by moving elsewhere :)

pearshaped

Mar 25, 2014
I honestly think he will. He must be settled now, and sometimes when you're on to a good thing, you should stick with it. Besides, he strikes me as so superstitious, he won't want to risk his luck changing by moving elsewhere :)

Good point! That said, he still lives in Liverpool and drives back and forth for training every day.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Good point! That said, he still lives in Liverpool and drives back and forth for training every day.

In a specially designed, ergonomic car seat, I hope :ohmy:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here