Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
cu30.jpg

What a squad that was

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If you had to make a team out of this squad and our current squad do you think any of today's players are better than any of these? Sadly no.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Love that classic Mullery look - has inspired so many imitators and tribute acts. Would there have been an American Hustle without it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
1980/81 was the strongest squad we ever had. Pity they didn't play like that until the final four games!

1980-81_v2.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's a colour one of the 1981/82 squad

1981-82_v1.jpg

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
1980/81 was the strongest squad we ever had. Pity they didn't play like that until the final four games!

1980-81_v2.jpg

But 81-82 had the clubs highest ever finish?

Foster, Stevens, Robinson, Grealish, Ryan, Gregory all internationals, not to mention Smith, Mcnab, Ritchie, Gatting and Case, 11 quality players before you've even started.

(even though Gregory turned out to be a c*** later on)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Foster, Stevens, Robinson, Grealish, Ryan, Gregory all internationals, not to mention Smith, Mcnab, Ritchie, Gatting and Case, 11 quality players before you've even started.

Although Gregory wasn't an international when he was with us. He won his first cap after joining QPR.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

The 1980/81 side still had the best of the old guard, Lawrenson, Horton and Ward (or Ritchie later on) at its spine while also the big money signings such as Robinson, Smith, plus three future England defenders at the back: Foster, Gregory and Stevens (I don't think Gregory played much of a part in 1981/82).

It really ought to have done much better than it did.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
cu30.jpg

What a squad that was
That looks like the poster the Argus gave away with all the fixtures for the first season in the First Division on (and a big photo of Horton). Probably got the wrong squad though knowing me :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here