Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of attacking options in Centre Midfield...

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
A broken record I know but how can we go a whole season right up until last night (2 shots on target) to realise that this is seriously hindering our promotion challenge. I wasn't convinced OG would get us as far up the table as he has when he joined so he has done well. However before we start calling for another forward what about the lack of goals from Lopez, Buckley, Kaz, Andrews even Ince? Crofty aside who else has chipped in with 10-12 goals this season. IMO we are missing a dynamic attacking midfielder who brings something different to the centre of the park. JFC, Andrews, Dale Stevens all very similar players who like passing sideways a lot, work hard for the team but are all average championship players who never chip in with goals to take the weight off of Ulloa. THIS area would be the first place I would recruit for next season, we lack cutting edge in the final third no craft and rarely see a player beat a man in central midfield and run at the oppositions midfield. I wasn't going to go here but even though Vicente was a pain in the ass at least you could bring him on (when fit which was rare) and he would terrorise defenders he was a game winner, who is our game winner in midfield not inc our wide men?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Agustien has the potential to, if only we'd play him.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I do agree, however, who will put the ball in the back of the net when these chances are created? We seem to have had a lot of chances recently so even if we doubled these they still need to be finished off.

Listening to the game last night it actually seems that it is more about decision making. Warren mentioned on several occasions that a player was in a position to make a pass that would leave the receiver with a very easy chance to score but instead went for the shot themselves.

Perhaps our main problem is more about attempting to score from difficult positions rather than making easy chances for others

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I do agree, however, who will put the ball in the back of the net when these chances are created? We seem to have had a lot of chances recently so even if we doubled these they still need to be finished off.

Listening to the game last night it actually seems that it is more about decision making. Warren mentioned on several occasions that a player was in a position to make a pass that would leave the receiver with a very easy chance to score but instead went for the shot themselves.

Perhaps our main problem is more about attempting to score from difficult positions rather than making easy chances for others

Agreed but I am saying that if they arnt finishing the chances the midfielders should be chipping in. Think how much pressure is on Leo's shoulders it shouldn't be like this

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
You summed it up in your original post. Expectations at the start of the season with a new manager were for a finish just outside the play-offs. I suspect the powers that be are very pleased with this first season, promotion not even being considered desirable at this stage in our development. We haven't spent like promotion contenders.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
A broken record I know but how can we go a whole season right up until last night (2 shots on target) to realise that this is seriously hindering our promotion challenge. I wasn't convinced OG would get us as far up the table as he has when he joined so he has done well. However before we start calling for another forward what about the lack of goals from Lopez, Buckley, Kaz, Andrews even Ince? Crofty aside who else has chipped in with 10-12 goals this season. IMO we are missing a dynamic attacking midfielder who brings something different to the centre of the park. JFC, Andrews, Dale Stevens all very similar players who like passing sideways a lot, work hard for the team but are all average championship players who never chip in with goals to take the weight off of Ulloa. THIS area would be the first place I would recruit for next season, we lack cutting edge in the final third no craft and rarely see a player beat a man in central midfield and run at the oppositions midfield. I wasn't going to go here but even though Vicente was a pain in the ass at least you could bring him on (when fit which was rare) and he would terrorise defenders he was a game winner, who is our game winner in midfield not inc our wide men?

This, spot on, I have said that our main problem for a long time, has been the lack of an influential midfielder, the last one of note was Elliot Bennett, this to my mind is the most important position to fill. And needs sorting out for next season. Andrews not good enough, JFC too lightweight, Still on the fence over Stephens.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This, spot on, I have said that our main problem for a long time, has been the lack of an influential midfielder, the last one of note was Elliot Bennett, this to my mind is the most important position to fill. And needs sorting out for next season. Andrews not good enough, JFC too lightweight, Still on the fence over Stephens.

its particularly relevant with the formation we use..midfielders and wide just haven't scored enough for whatever reason

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
but not known for scoring the goals your original post talked about

Agreed his goal scoring record is not good but would he beat a man in a one on one in the centre of midfield, run at the opposition, draw fouls, pull defences out of shape? Who does this in the centre of midfield for us?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed his goal scoring record is not good but would he beat a man in a one on one in the centre of midfield, run at the opposition, draw fouls, pull defences out of shape? Who does this in the centre of midfield for us?

i don't think he is one for running at the opposition either...clearly has some skill..but running a lot doesn't seem one of them...but no matter what we say he is in the dog house ...i don't see him as the saviour ..but an option? He didn't get on the bench for the cup replay...i think that says where he is at with the club

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
As has been higlighted already, creating chances isnt the only problem. Finishing is also a problem.

V Sheff Wed - 9 shots, only 2 were on target (22%) L 1-0
V Ipswich - 22 shots, 5 on target (22%) L 2-0
V Bolton - 14 shots, 5 on target (35%) W 2-0
V QPR 6 shots, 3 on target (50%) W 2-0
V Reading 6 shots, 1 on target (16%) D 1-1

Leicester, the team with the best goal difference have an average shot on target % of only 30 BUT on average they have 25 shots. (Both stats are for the last 5 games.) It's telling that having scored 39 goals this season we are 18th in the table for goals scored. If we didn't have such a solid defence, we would be nowhere near the playoffs. A creative midfielder and strength in depth up front have been an issue for a few seasons now and we need to rectify this for next season if we're serious about the PL

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said on a similar thread the type of player we need is a Frank Lampard obviously we couldnt get him but I am trying to think of an older player out of favour that could come in for 8 weeks to do the same kind of job just as Denis Mortimer did some years ago.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Orlandi's been a huge loss this season, as has our only real driving box-to-box midfielder who can actually score a goal, Crofts. Without those two, our midfield has looked very pedestrian. Overall their absence, and failure to replace with effective loans , or otherwise, has been very costly. Roll on next season.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
As I have said on a similar thread the type of player we need is a Frank Lampard obviously we couldnt get him but I am trying to think of an older player out of favour that could come in for 8 weeks to do the same kind of job just as Denis Mortimer did some years ago.

Frank would be great for a season although I feel we need an athlete, commanding cm who has bags of pace and an eye for goal, this said doesn't everyone!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here