Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats Happened?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'm here to support Oscar, he's had a lot of negatives with his squad this year, but what has made him make the changes he has.

We move the ball quicker than Poyets team and his football at the start of the season and until the last coupe of months was much more exciting. But against Ipswich in particular and generally it is as if Poyet has got in the dressing room with this incessant passing it across the back four to and fro and our build up play has become slow, tired and predictable. What is the manager seeing that I don't. He plays a similar back line every game, a midfield with no creativity in it and one upfront, how are we ever expected to score goals. Ulloa is under a lot of pressure to score as since the injury to Crofts he appears to be focus of just about every move we have and every ball we hit forward.
Buckley who has that lightning pace is never afforded the opportunity as there is no midfield player capable of putting him away and our loan signings just leave me absolutely baffled. Lita wasn't given a chance but did score, Obika, well and now Jesse who in reality is no better than Solly or Barnes, but gets automatic selection.
It must be stated that without Ulloa for a few months, no CMS, Crofts or Hoskins we are going to suffer but why have the tactics changed?

is he being constricted by the backroom management at the club and is keeping quiet because of his opportunity to manage in the Championship or is his philosophy just not correct.

We are all in this together for the run in and we should all stick together, but Oscar just remember what you reportedly said when you game to the club and don't mug off the paying public, who it must be said at the prices we are charged, most generously support the team. Losing is bearable, we can all deal with that we lost to Palace in the play offs last year, but lacklustre, non imaginative football is not acceptable.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Disagree that the football has been more exciting. Been bored at quite a few games this season.

Boredom is always superseeded by a win, its not winning that affects us. I was bored with Poyets style and feel that we have been drifting back to that style for some time now. I am starting to question whether its the similar idealogy of the style we play between Poyet and Oscar or the selection of the manager by the club that is hindering us.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Although I'm sure they're full of wisdom and entertainment, I hardly ever read any of these threads about the Os-car. Judging by their titles, opinion seems to sway depending entirely on the isolated results inconsistency provides. The whole season so far has made me think of this article by Honigstein. I don't think the coaching staff have changed anything beyond adding a few average players. There is a blueprint, and the team seem to be managing themselves within that. The quality of football is always enjoyable, I think.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe we need a season of hoof all to remind us just how good we are to watch in the main. More wins from dominating play would result in way less posts about how we play boring football IMO

A loss, playing any style will result in a binfest on NSC.

We are definitely heading in the right direction, albeit the surge has slowed down.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Although I'm sure they're full of wisdom and entertainment, I hardly ever read any of these threads about the Os-car. Judging by their titles, opinion seems to sway depending entirely on the isolated results inconsistency provides. The whole season so far has made me think of this article by Honigstein. I don't think the coaching staff have changed anything beyond adding a few average players. There is a blueprint, and the team seem to be managing themselves within that. The quality of football is always enjoyable, I think.

Thanks for that, what a fantastic article and something I have long believed. I have never thought managers particularly skilled and as with punditry, players interviews and club management, they are all in this together and feel the need for it to be protected and that extends to the top of FIFA. A few years ago I had Paul Carpenter visit me in the guise of commercial manager with view to some sponsorship of the club. The meeting proceeded and afterwards I asked him about training as he told me being a professional footballer was the best job in the world. I asked what sort of training they did and how were tactics discussed and what strategies they would follow. It sort of lost him as he said we only train once a week if we have a midweek game and then only for an hour or so. Yes but what about tactics, he looked unsure and came back and said that they did one touch football. I read into this that nothing really happened and that no strategy was really adhered to. I then look at the mele when we have a free kick, a golden opportunity to have an unoppossed shot on goal and how we consistently fail to select the right person to take it, managers with bits of paper when selecting their penalty takes in a shoot out and the vision of Sam Allardyce throwing his arm forward suggesting to his team to lump it up the park. Cheers for the article, most enyoable read.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm here to support Oscar, he's had a lot of negatives with his squad this year, but what has made him make the changes he has.

We move the ball quicker than Poyets team and his football at the start of the season and until the last coupe of months was much more exciting. But against Ipswich in particular and generally it is as if Poyet has got in the dressing room with this incessant passing it across the back four to and fro and our build up play has become slow, tired and predictable. What is the manager seeing that I don't. He plays a similar back line every game, a midfield with no creativity in it and one upfront, how are we ever expected to score goals. Ulloa is under a lot of pressure to score as since the injury to Crofts he appears to be focus of just about every move we have and every ball we hit forward.
Buckley who has that lightning pace is never afforded the opportunity as there is no midfield player capable of putting him away and our loan signings just leave me absolutely baffled. Lita wasn't given a chance but did score, Obika, well and now Jesse who in reality is no better than Solly or Barnes, but gets automatic selection.
It must be stated that without Ulloa for a few months, no CMS, Crofts or Hoskins we are going to suffer but why have the tactics changed?

is he being constricted by the backroom management at the club and is keeping quiet because of his opportunity to manage in the Championship or is his philosophy just not correct.

We are all in this together for the run in and we should all stick together, but Oscar just remember what you reportedly said when you game to the club and don't mug off the paying public, who it must be said at the prices we are charged, most generously support the team. Losing is bearable, we can all deal with that we lost to Palace in the play offs last year, but lacklustre, non imaginative football is not acceptable.

Oscar said when he joined that he loved attacking football and wanted to play attacking football. But it seems to me having assessed the squad we have, he's realised that we don't have the players to play expansive, attacking football at the moment. So instead he's set out to just get as many points as he can in his first season in the job. How can anyone argue with that? It is absolutely the right thing to do.

Hopefully, with a few more additions of his own men and with a proper pre season under his belt, he'll start to go for it a bit more next year. All the top managers get the defence right first, it's the only way to be successful. We don't concede many goals, so that part is sorted. It's up to Oscar next season to make us more clinical and work with Burke to get the players to do this.

Personally, I have total confidence in him. It's the 'must have instant success' brigade that seem to struggle with the concept of building sustainable success, the ones who want to sack the manager as soon as we lose two games in a row. The ones that wanted Poyet out and now can't understand why we have gone back a step because of it. Thankfully, they aren't running our football club.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think Oscar is doing anything wrong, it's the players making bad decisions when chances open up for us, passing when they should shoot or shooting when they should pass, or slicing, scuffing and weak shots.

I think that most of our players are good on their day but in front of goal we are poor. Looking forward to seeing what we do in the summer as there is no room for sentiment in this game.

Worst things about our season are all the injuries we have had and Orlandi hasn't helped. As much as I like him, I am bored of his situation and he would be better off retiring and get into coaching at the Academy.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Oscar said when he joined that he loved attacking football and wanted to play attacking football. But it seems to me having assessed the squad we have, he's realised that we don't have the players to play expansive, attacking football at the moment. So instead he's set out to just get as many points as he can in his first season in the job. How can anyone argue with that? It is absolutely the right thing to do.

Hopefully, with a few more additions of his own men and with a proper pre season under his belt, he'll start to go for it a bit more next year. All the top managers get the defence right first, it's the only way to be successful. We don't concede many goals, so that part is sorted. It's up to Oscar next season to make us more clinical and work with Burke to get the players to do this.

Personally, I have total confidence in him. It's the 'must have instant success' brigade that seem to struggle with the concept of building sustainable success, the ones who want to sack the manager as soon as we lose two games in a row. The ones that wanted Poyet out and now can't understand why we have gone back a step because of it. Thankfully, they aren't running our football club.

I think some people need to accept we aren't guaranteed play offs every year. The defence has improved no end, hopefully a full preseason with Ulloa, CMS & Hoskins plus whoever Oscar wants could see us challenging for automatic next year - see Leicester last season.

I still think we will make top 6 this year, but I don't think we could get up.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
What's happened is simple, OG hasn't got a 20 goal a season striker. It's as simple as that, pretty much every game has followed the same pattern, create chances miss chances. The changes in players and set-up is him trying to solve that problem, the same problem that's been there since we moved to the Amex. There's not much he can do if the forwards he's got at the moment are too wasteful. Hopefully in the close season he'll have the answer to the goal problem.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What's happened is simple, OG hasn't got a 20 goal a season striker. It's as simple as that, pretty much every game has followed the same pattern, create chances miss chances. The changes in players and set-up is him trying to solve that problem, the same problem that's been there since we moved to the Amex. There's not much he can do if the forwards he's got at the moment are too wasteful. Hopefully in the close season he'll have the answer to the goal problem.

I agree and it's a big minus that we only have Ulloa. He has no competition and to me he often plays like he knows it. We need another striker to give him a kick up the arse IMO.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Maybe we need a season of hoof all to remind us just how good we are to watch in the main. More wins from dominating play would result in way less posts about how we play boring football IMO

A loss, playing any style will result in a binfest on NSC.

We are definitely heading in the right direction, albeit the surge has slowed down.

But that seems to be something we do quite a bit at the moment anyway. Keep the ball at the back and when the pressure arrives smack it 50 yards and expect Ulloa to control it on his head or flick it on to one of the wingers who are about 20 yards away

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Momentum has now stopped following move to Amex . Og benefited a bit from this but now we are the same as others in that respect . Momentum can and has taken us a long way .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We dominate games, we create loads of chances, we have more possession, we play a Barca like style of football, we keep hitting the crossbar blablablabla!

YES BUT WE CANT SCORE A BLOODY GOAL WHICH IS THE MAIN THING! This all means nothing if we can't win games doesn't it? Christ some of you are so deluded.
Afraid to say Bruno has been making a few too many mistakes recently as well, I'm not saying get rid of him, just PULL YA FINGER OUT BRUNO!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
In true football manager style, if a team can't hit the target, get them practicing shooting from 10-7 every day until every shot they take at least works the keeper.

Say what you want about CMS but at least it is the keeper who stops his shots and not someone in row Q

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here