Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bringing Dunk on upfront.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Whats the NSC view on this then? Personally never seen it before as an Albion fan and can't say I was very impressed by it, so much for possession football?

Whats the NSC view on this then? Personally never seen it before as an Albion fan and can't say I was very impressed by it, so much for possession football?

I think this is a questionable point with your track record.
Your objective NSC analysis of Ashley Barnes' performance at Tranmere three seasons back (from Hurstpierpoint) would be my starting point but I really can't be arsed and have my doubts whether you ever at the game tonight.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010

nothing wrong with having another option, keeps their defenders thinking and stops us being 1 dimensional.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I recall Adam Virgo being introduced as a sub striker, got goals too! Got to try anything when nothing else works!

I think all fans over 20 years old remember Virgo doing that. I can't believe the OP didn't remember.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I'd agree if he had done it with 30 mins to go but it was in injury time with us 1-0 down, therefore I really don't get your problem with it.

I'm sure you would have moaned if in injury time we kept knocking it about the back looking for space and would be wanting them to get the ball forward.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think this is a questionable point with your track record.
Your objective NSC analysis of Ashley Barnes' performance at Tranmere three seasons back (from Hurstpierpoint) would be my starting point but I really can't be arsed and have my doubts whether you ever at the game tonight.

Feel free to piss off then you twunt.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Steve Foster quite regularly moved up front when we were chasing a goal, usually proved very effective.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I recall Adam Virgo being introduced as a sub striker, got goals too! Got to try anything when nothing else works!

Virgs started up front at Leicester and scored the only goal. Ladbrokes had his usual first goalscorer price @ 33/1 and he'll tell you a good number took advantage including me, who when I turned up to get paid heard was told the rare phrase that every gambler wishes to hear from a bookie 'Sorry, can you come back tomorrow, we havn't got enough money to pay you'

Virgs started up front at Leicester and scored the only goal. Ladbrokes had his usual first goalscorer price @ 33/1 and he'll tell you a good number took advantage including me, who when I turned up to get paid heard was told the rare phrase that every gambler wishes to hear from a bookie 'Sorry, can you come back tomorrow, we havn't got enough money to pay you'

I had a score on that day,Sunday televised game if I remember correctly,Lot of pissed up people clutching their bookies slips that afternoon.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
It is what a lot of (ignorant and stupid) people on here want though. Big man up top, get it forward quickly.
How many teams break forward quickly? Watch some Premiership games and see how many times teams break forwards bloody well quickly when they break up play in defence!

Having Dunk as a extra big man to lob on as a forward near the end of the game is another option. Absolutely nothing wrong with having a plan B that's different to way you've been playing throughout the rest of the game.

And how big is the average Championship defender? With most teams I've seen this year, I would suggest about 6" 2". No good playing a small player like Lindegard and lobbing high balls forward, as the ball would be given away every time!

The result against Wednesday is not a complete disaster, the play-offs are still attainable. Very similar happened last year, when we weren't getting results, and all the other teams around us lost as well, and we made the play-offs. Hoping the pattern is going to repeat! :albion2:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Used to happen in the old days loads. Was standard practice when losing by a goal to stick a centre half up front for the last few minutes. See nothing wrong with it personally.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Steve Foster quite regularly moved up front when we were chasing a goal, usually proved very effective.

Apart from here (from 8m25) where it spectacularly backfired

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here