Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday - Back from the game match ratings.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Kusczak - 6 - Great save in the second half when they were through 1 on 1, but kicking was atrocious and he had little else to do.

Bruno - 5 - Trying to beat his man on countless occasions, failing numerous times, stupid flick to put them through for the goal.

Greer - 6 - Solid enough bar the goal.

Upson - 6 - As above really.

Ward - 6 - Solid.

JFC - 5 - Too easily bullied out of games when playing as a central midfielder, a few nice touches, but ineffective generally in the 90 minutes.

Andrews - 4 - He didn't seem to do anything, was playing more advanced than Ince but offered nothing going forward at all.

Ince - 6 - pretty average, a few good break-up's but gave the ball away a few times.

Rodriguez - 4 - sorry, but the guy offers nothing. He was outpaced by their full back throughout, and has nothing physically.

Buckley - 5.5 - could easily have been an 8, had 2 great chances when through one on one and did nothing with either, but got to give him credit for getting in the positions to score with such poor support from the middle 3 I guess.

Lingaard - 5.5 - Playing through the middle on his own against Onyewu and Loovens (6'3 at least the pair), some nice touches given the service he was given, but never going to do anything effective given the set up tonight.

Subs: both 5, didn't change much, either of them should have come on earlier for Rodriguez, rather than for 10 minutes.

Overall, we could easily have left with all 3 points if Buckley had taken one of his two great chances. We aren't clinical enough, and the 3 mates I went with all agreed that we play great football until the final third, where we were just completely out-muscled.

The dependency we have on Ulloa is quite frightening, the entire set up was completely off tonight with his injury, and we simply do not have a replacement forward to play a 4-3-3 (even when Hoskins is fit). Oh well, I remember heading back from Barnsley away this time last year feeling exactly the same, and look what happened then! Onwards an upwards, at least other results were kind!

Oh, and safe trip back to all other Albion fans, 'ell of a long way!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Thank you very much for that insight. It's nice to get the perspective from somebody who actually attend the game. Some posts in NCS made tonight sound like 1995 again!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Kusczak - 6 - Great save in the second half when they were through 1 on 1, but kicking was atrocious and he had little else to do.

Bruno - 5 - Trying to beat his man on countless occasions, failing numerous times, stupid flick to put them through for the goal.

Ward - 6 - Solid.

JFC - 5 - Too easily bullied out of games when playing as a central midfielder, a few nice touches, but ineffective generally in the 90 minutes.

Andrews - 4 - He didn't seem to do anything, was playing more advanced than Ince but offered nothing going forward at all.

Ince - 6 - pretty average, a few good break-up's but gave the ball away a few times.

Rodriguez - 4 - sorry, but the guy offers nothing. He was outpaced by their full back throughout, and has nothing physically.

Buckley - 5.5 - could easily have been an 8, had 2 great chances when through one on one and did nothing with either, but got to give him credit for getting in the positions to score with such poor support from the middle 3 I guess.

Lingaard - 5.5 - Playing through the middle on his own against Onyewu and Loovens (6'3 at least the pair), some nice touches given the service he was given, but never going to do anything effective given the set up tonight.

Subs: both 5, didn't change much, either of them should have come on earlier for Rodriguez, rather than for 10 minutes.

Overall, we could easily have left with all 3 points if Buckley had taken one of his two great chances. We aren't clinical enough, and the 3 mates I went with all agreed that we play great football until the final third, where we were just completely out-muscled.

The dependency we have on Ulloa is quite frightening, the entire set up was completely off tonight with his injury, and we simply do not have a replacement forward to play a 4-3-3 (even when Hoskins is fit). Oh well, I remember heading back from Barnsley away this time last year feeling exactly the same, and look what happened then! Onwards an upwards, at least other results were kind!

How often have we heard that this season....and thanks for the ratings

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
How often have we heard that this season....and thanks for the ratings

Sad but true.

Buckley, for the first, was one on one and for some reason tried to square it, but unfortunately crossed straight to Onyewu.

The second was as good a chance as you'll get in a game of football. Clean through one on one, no defender within 5 yards of him. You take one of those two chances and we're 1 up, and wouldn't have been so short at the back for their goal (all hypothetical of course). As I said, without Ulloa we look hopeless up front.

Oh, and not good to see Kusczak and Bruno squaring up to each other.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Ward - 6 - Solid.

Andrews, JFC and Rodriguez all poor. Quelle surprise.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Yet another poxy Tuesday night game oop North, though tonight we were not out-muscled or kicked about that much.
The forwards lacked height against the Wednesday defenders yet there seemed more than usual bombs from Tom and aimless lofted passes in the final third. The pass over the top into space for the runnrs is one thing, but the lofted balls were just gobbled up by their tall defenders. When was the last time we sent on a centre half to play up front for the last few minutes?
We are not a neat passing team any more, and a lot of the one-twos became ones only, due to sloppiness or complacency.
Wednesday were dire and this is the sort of game you must win, and win well, to progress with confidence.
No matter what the shot statistics are, yet again we did not work their goalie enough.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Where to begin....

Kuszczak - 4 Decent save, but distribution absolutely terrible, he's clearly lost any confidence he had in his ability to kick a ball and it really shows.

Upson - 5 Solid

Greer - 5 Solid

Bruno - 7 Yes should have done better for the goal but fact is he was our only genuine outlet for just about the whole game, if he isn't involved we literally look like a punch of zombies mindlessly passing the thing about with no purpose.

Ward - 6 Has a good understanding with LuaLua that he doesn't get to use and didn't get forwards much but was defensively solid.

Juliet - 4 Just poor, slow and methodical sums up everything that is wrong with our style of play, made a couple of runs forward and then had a go at people for not passing to him but I couldn't fathom why - he has no idea how to shoot.

Ince - 6 Tried hard, best of a bad bunch in midfield.

JFC - 1 Wa-nk. Contributed next to nothing positive all game gave it away more often than not. Woeful.

Rodriguez - 3 Has zero understanding with those around him, doesn't look particularly quick. Just doesn't look up to it.

Lingard - 4 Poor bloke, clearly not cut out for playing as a lone striker having long balls played into him, I have no idea why we persisted with them, he didn't come close to one all night.

Buckley - 5 Through on goal twice and couldn't put it away, but looked our most lively by far especially when supplied by Bruno who was our only other bright spark in an otherwise dismal attacking display.

Subs - the 2 like for like changes made absolutely no difference. More on the third one below.
-----

Realistically, we went away to a team in decent form, kept it tight and probably deserved a point on the balance of chances created.

HOWEVER: I'm once again astounded at the teams total inability to attack with any kind of purpose or threat, it was the most disjointed display I've seen for quite some time, they looked like strangers out there in and around the final third, same story as always basically but it gets very tiring when you see it week in, week out. I have to question the coaching here because at times the players literally seem to have no idea what to do with the ball in order to engineer some space or a shooting opportunity. Our best 2 chances of the night came for poor defensive errors rather than us creating them, so it's kind of hard to say we were unlucky when we didn't create the chances in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned we need a radical shake up when it comes to how we look to attack teams, we need to move the ball forwards quicker so they don't have time to get into 2 banks of 4 and we need to have players overlapping more often. It was also very telling that several times towards the end when we had a chance to cross the ball there was literally no one in the box to cross to, surely players should be looking to get in there? A change needs to come from somewhere and it isn't a case of getting better players, we have some top quality attacking players and yet they all look like a bunch of amateurs out there at times.

Finally - Sticking DUNK on UPFRONT? What the FU-CK was that? Goes completely against our supposed ethos and makes me genuinely wonder why we went to the trouble of appointing some spanish bloke as manager because that was something I'd expect from Tony Pulis not Brighton, we supposedly play good football but then we stick on a defender upfront for the last 5 minutes? It's like sunday league.

These Tuesday night games up north are just about the only ones I get to see and we have a terrible record in them so sorry if you think I'm being overly negative but when the only performances I see are these shite ones where we're lucky to get a shot on target then it starts to grate after 3 years of the exact same thing.

Garcia out - Because our squad should be offering much better than these dull, negative performances. Dull and negative football means I don't want you as manager of the team I support regardless of results.

happyseagull

Dec 15, 2008
Loughborough
A weird game but could have nicked it but again our play in the final third was poor....bad choices and not picking out players runs etc etc same as usual....yawn! Ratings pretty similar to foolg

Kusczak 6 Little to do, can't believe that stats say that Wednesday had 16 shots. Fairly solid and an important save at 0-0
Bruno 6 Would have been 7 until the mistake at the end, he seemed up for it more than the others
Greer 6 Played ok and passed it quite well for once
Upson 6 Mr consistent
Ward 7 Thought he played well

Andrews 5 A couple of nice pirouettes, a few good touches but far more poor ones
JFC 5 Battled hard but made poor choices with passes when going forward
Ince 5 As above

Rodriguez 4 Looked rusty and a bit clueless
Lingaard 6 Lively but not a lot of confidence....needs a goal
Buckley 7 Only player that looked a real attacking threat, should have scored but Kirkland closed him down well

Subs Not on long enough to make any impression

Oscar 5 Illness of players forced his hand a bit but I would have changed things a bit earlier and sometimes perhaps change the shape rather than just subbing the wingers.

Overall a frustrating game, started the second half quite well and thought we'd win it but we faded badly. We have no attacking threat from the centre of the park. Totally agree that without Ulloa we are pretty clueless....the midfield three of JFC, Ince and Andrews are not going to create enough for us to get into the play offs....hope I'm wrong..

Still clinging on to a slither of hope but it looks like its slipping out of our hands

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Where to begin....

Kuszczak - 4 Decent save, but distribution absolutely terrible, he's clearly lost any confidence he had in his ability to kick a ball and it really shows.

Upson - 5 Solid

Greer - 5 Solid

Bruno - 7 Yes should have done better for the goal but fact is he was our only genuine outlet for just about the whole game, if he isn't involved we literally look like a punch of zombies mindlessly passing the thing about with no purpose.

Ward - 6 Has a good understanding with LuaLua that he doesn't get to use and didn't get forwards much but was defensively solid.

Juliet - 4 Just poor, slow and methodical sums up everything that is wrong with our style of play, made a couple of runs forward and then had a go at people for not passing to him but I couldn't fathom why - he has no idea how to shoot.

Ince - 6 Tried hard, best of a bad bunch in midfield.

JFC - 1 Wa-nk. Contributed next to nothing positive all game gave it away more often than not. Woeful.

Rodriguez - 3 Has zero understanding with those around him, doesn't look particularly quick. Just doesn't look up to it.

Lingard - 4 Poor bloke, clearly not cut out for playing as a lone striker having long balls played into him, I have no idea why we persisted with them, he didn't come close to one all night.

Buckley - 5 Through on goal twice and couldn't put it away, but looked our most lively by far especially when supplied by Bruno who was our only other bright spark in an otherwise dismal attacking display.

Subs - the 2 like for like changes made absolutely no difference. More on the third one below.
-----

Realistically, we went away to a team in decent form, kept it tight and probably deserved a point on the balance of chances created.

HOWEVER: I'm once again astounded at the teams total inability to attack with any kind of purpose or threat, it was the most disjointed display I've seen for quite some time, they looked like strangers out there in and around the final third, same story as always basically but it gets very tiring when you see it week in, week out. I have to question the coaching here because at times the players literally seem to have no idea what to do with the ball in order to engineer some space or a shooting opportunity. Our best 2 chances of the night came for poor defensive errors rather than us creating them, so it's kind of hard to say we were unlucky when we didn't create the chances in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned we need a radical shake up when it comes to how we look to attack teams, we need to move the ball forwards quicker so they don't have time to get into 2 banks of 4 and we need to have players overlapping more often. It was also very telling that several times towards the end when we had a chance to cross the ball there was literally no one in the box to cross to, surely players should be looking to get in there? A change needs to come from somewhere and it isn't a case of getting better players, we have some top quality attacking players and yet they all look like a bunch of amateurs out there at times.

Finally - Sticking DUNK on UPFRONT? What the FU-CK was that? Goes completely against our supposed ethos and makes me genuinely wonder why we went to the trouble of appointing some spanish bloke as manager because that was something I'd expect from Tony Pulis not Brighton, we supposedly play good football but then we stick on a defender upfront for the last 5 minutes? It's like sunday league.

These Tuesday night games up north are just about the only ones I get to see and we have a terrible record in them so sorry if you think I'm being overly negative but when the only performances I see are these shite ones where we're lucky to get a shot on target then it starts to grate after 3 years of the exact same thing.

Garcia out - Because our squad should be offering much better than these dull, negative performances. Dull and negative football means I don't want you as manager of the team I support regardless of results.

Husty ..with Stephens and Orlandi out what options do you see in midfield?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't, but that doesn't change the fact that they were absolutely woeful.

K..I just wondered ..as people talk about different tactics/formation but we are what we are at the mo...and that midfield just doesn't score enough goals and i struggle to see what can change it

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
K..I just wondered ..as people talk about different tactics/formation but we are what we are at the mo...and that midfield just doesn't score enough goals and i struggle to see what can change it

Well if they got into the box occasionally then maybe they'd score some goals. No mystery to it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
given our current ability to convert chances i'm not sure that would even be enough ....distinct lack of quality currently it would seem

In midfield it's certainly a quality issue, Rodriguez, Andrews, JFC were simply not up to it tonight and it's hard to play 8 vs 11.

Kemy Agustein might be fat and lazy but he cannot possibly offer less than those 3, at least he occasionally shows some danger of producing a decent final ball to set up a good goal scoring chance.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Too tired to do full ratings tonight; will post them tomorrow.

Quick random thoughts:

Buckley should have scored at least once - true 1:1.
Ince played a wonderful diagonal 40 yard pass out to space for Bruno to run onto, and made other diagonal aerial passes, some of which we're close to putting us through again. Is this being coached into him? Also jumped 1 second too early for about 10 headers - hope this isn't being coached into him.
Lingard put in a real shift - all over the place. Had a weak shot straight at the keeper when Andrews (FFS) was in acres of space square of him.
Upson (?) had header from corner hit the bar.
Defence really poor for goal (just like Ipswich)
Koosh made great save at 0-0. Distribution poor when kicking, apart from one ball direct to Ward just on half way, who looked so surprised he passed it back to Upson.
Andrews - mostly oh dear.
JFC - broadly ditto
S-Rod - ditto
Ward - really pretty good. 1 really great tackle and several scampers down the left.

Kaz - 1 piece of brilliance, getting through two defenders into box, then his touch was just too far. Tangled with Kirkland at the end. Not a pen.
Solly - meh
Dunk - Dunk? Really?

First half even. We had the bulk of the second half and for the first 25 mins looked by far the better team. Given we can't score, a 0-0 draw would have been a fair result.

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE

Completely disagree with you on these four points.

Bruno was constantly out of position and weak in the tackle. Made 2 or 3 key errors (one for the goal that cost us the game) and then argued with the other defenders as if it were their fault. Not that he's a bad player, just had a bad game in my opinion.
JFC played in Buckley for the one-on-one in the second half (which should have one us the game), so he contributed something which could well have been crucial to the outcome of the match. Him and Lingard (and March once) were the only players willing to pick the ball up in between the Sheff Wed defence and midfield and try to run at their defence. Lingard also ran the channels well but was not supported by a very weak Rodriguez.

As for Oscar, the football we play is a million times more entertaining than the drivel we saw from Sheff Wed tonight, lumping it forward at every opportunity and attempting to capitalise on opposition mistakes. If you watch Top level football all around Europe, you can see what we play is the trend and clearly is the way forward. I appreciate we may be missing a few players to complete the team but it will come.

KS

(Back in York)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here