Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Having building work done

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I'm in the process of submitting plans for an extension to my house, a very simple two story box. It would be the first time i have had any major work done. I'm thinking about running the job myself and contracting the work out to the various trades required rather than getting a builder to carry out the whole job. Has anyone had any experience in doing this and if so how did it go? The main reason for doing this would be to keep the cost down knowing that most builders sub contract most of the work anyway and I would be able to do some of the work myself. My only worry would be the amount of my time it would take up and the stress of keeping the job moving on. Any past experience or advice would be great.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Your mad mate......give the job to the builder and let him run it. Seen so many wanna be savers cone unstuck, soooooo many times. Don't try and penny pinch.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Any past experience or advice would be great.

The original Stateside Bob the Builder (quondam host of PBS's long-running This Old House ) on the topic:
Being Your Own General Contractor

Codes, planning, etc. might vary with the jurisdiction, but I'd bet the overall process is similar.
(My son's employed by a US architects' firm that bids and manages UK work from time to time, he says at the bricks and mortar level, there's not much difference.)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm in the process of submitting plans for an extension to my house, a very simple two story box. It would be the first time i have had any major work done. I'm thinking about running the job myself and contracting the work out to the various trades required rather than getting a builder to carry out the whole job. Has anyone had any experience in doing this and if so how did it go? The main reason for doing this would be to keep the cost down knowing that most builders sub contract most of the work anyway and I would be able to do some of the work myself. My only worry would be the amount of my time it would take up and the stress of keeping the job moving on. Any past experience or advice would be great.
Nothing worse than an amateur on site.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I usually do plumbing but I'm happy to have a go at electrics and carpentry.
Some pictures of my recent jobs.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whatever you do, get a fixed price quote on the entire contract, or by your method, fixed price quotes from the individual subbies. With the fixed price, ensure you have in writing everything you want done, including them getting away waste.

Beware of lowest quote - a tight fisted associate went for the lowest by far of 3 quotes with an unknown builder who'd spotted his planning application online and pushed himself forward for the work. My associate assumed the other 2 were being greedy in their price. Surprise, 4 months later, the chosen builder had bodged plastering, dismantled asbestos without protective gear, splattered chipboard which was held down poorly with nails not screws, become unreliable on snagging, switches sticking out walls too far, etc.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
[MENTION=1804]sams dad[/MENTION] is the person you want, a very competent and experienced builder, look him up on here and send him a PM, I am sure (assuming you live in the sussex area) he will sort you out, you wont do better than him and that's a fact! (and no he is not my brother or relation etc etc :lol: )

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
my very old experince (things may have changed) is that your average builder will get in their tradesman for cheaper than if you went off and got them. it might not work out of course if they know a bunch of scrots on the sausage who disappear once a week to sign on :lolol: seriously though, i know a few thing about building and i'd rather just get a decent reputable builder in. by all mean offer yourself as a labourer to save money.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

What is your trade ? And do you know all the other trades personally ?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
How much do you know about Planning Permission and Building Regulations? What about signing off for electrical and plumbing work? Some builders have accounts with local suppliers and are able to get discounts for the bulk orders they make for several jobs. Can you co-ordinate the order in which the various contractors do their work? It's often a case of waiting for one lot to finish before the other lot can start, so there can be a lot of waiting around and time wasted. We've built an extension ourselves and "done up" our present house, and it can be maddening when the contractors don't turn up, because they've had to go to another job they're working on at the same time. But we're lucky. My brother's a surveyor and knows lots of builders who don't mind doing us a favour for him. But we've had to be patient. Very patient.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=1804]sams dad[/MENTION] is the person you want, a very competent and experienced builder, look him up on here and send him a PM, I am sure (assuming you live in the sussex area) he will sort you out, you wont do better than him and that's a fact! (and no he is not my brother or relation etc etc :lol: )

"Gary, get your tounge out of my arse"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It's a shame you're not looking for views on how to rebuild a football team. There's plenty of them on here.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's a shame you're not looking for views on how to rebuild a football team. There's plenty of them on here.

:lol:

and all of them would turn out like a house of cards!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My philosophy is simple - if your house isn't big enough for you, buy a bigger one and don't feck about bodging up a good house with extensions - MOVE HOUSE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here