Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renting out a spare bedroom

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is something I am considering sometime this year for various reasons...many websites to research ..but i wondered if anyone has any personal experience of doing this and how they found it

TIA

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Despite every molecule in your brain telling you to do so, do not rent it to a hot young Spanish girl. It will only end in tears, and a court hearing....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The foreign language schools are always looking for hosts but prefer families for obvious reasons.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Can earn a nice bit of money from it - but you can end up with some real dicks who will do anything to piss you off etc.

On the flip side, you could end up with a beautiful looking Italian girl......which would always end in tears which ever way you look at it.

Might be worth putting an ad on one of those room wanted websites so you arent simply limited to just foreign students.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Despite every molecule in your brain telling you to do so, do not rent it to a hot young Spanish girl. It will only end in tears, and a court hearing....
So it ends in tears and a court hearing. What happens between the beginning and the end? In detail please, preferably with some pictures.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If it's going to be rented to a couple of the Swedish Women's Football Squad then make sure the spycam is well concealed.

Before considering this as a suitable choice it would be a good idea to make sure they are 'really good friends'. This could also increase your income when you sell tickets for 'Le Show' to your friends on NSC ... mate. :whistle:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Sometimes life is about the journey rather than the destination.

This sounds like one of those times.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Can earn a nice bit of money from it - but you can end up with some real dicks who will do anything to piss you off etc.

On the flip side, you could end up with a beautiful looking Italian girl......which would always end in tears which ever way you look at it.

Might be worth putting an ad on one of those room wanted websites so you arent simply limited to just foreign students.

There are some really good websites re advertising the room...but its more to do with experiences of people that have done it and how they've gone about it..for example laying down rules on cleaning...friends coming back...interviewing the prospective Tennant etc

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
We rented a spare room and funnily enough our tenant has just moved out.

Over the last 3 years we rented to 2 different people. One was my partners best friend and then she moved out the other was just a girl we knew (ugly so misses didn't get jealous)

It was ok. Obviously it's a little more awkward having someone else there but the £450 a month at the time was difficult to turn down. Now the tenant has left we will have a massive hole in the finances but there has to be a point in time as a couple where you need the place to yourself, otherwise we will end up renting spare rooms for life.

We aren't going to find anyone else but I would ideally try and find someone you know, or a friend of a friend. I don't think i'd rent to a total stranger. Always easier to rent if you are a single male too, if you are a cpl a little more awkward.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
We have a couple of spare rooms but have never even thought of renting them out, can you seriously get £450 for letting out a room??

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We have a couple of spare rooms but have never even thought of renting them out, can you seriously get £450 for letting out a room??

Yes and you don't pay tax on it up to £450. Generally it includes, heating, electricity, and water.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Why not if it's a nice room? We get £500 for one of ours..... It's HUGE, mind.

I was a bit sceptical about renting out our spare rooms when we stopped having the kids regularly. However, it's turned out fine.

We haven't known any of our tenants prior to them moving in, but met and interviewed them and have a formal agreement with them.

One has turned into a good friend and we are able to invite each other on work hospitality events. I got my current job due to his predecessor, and the French teacher who rents our top room is a workaholic who we hardly ever see!

All in all, it's worked out well for us and the money has certainly helped us keep up the mortgage payments.

If the OP would like a copy of the formal agreement we use, please PM me with an email address and I'll send it over.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Yes and you don't pay tax on it up to £450. Generally it includes, heating, electricity, and water.

The tax free exemption for rental income is currently £4,250 per year, which works out as £354.17 a month. Anything above that should be charged at your marginal rate of income tax, but in practice there's a huge amount of rental income which goes undeclared.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
We rent our small room out to foreign students...usually Japanese, from Lewes college. £110 a week and we provide half board....or bed, breakfast and evening meal, with all the amenities included too.

We hardly see the students, they rarely cause any problems but you do get to rely on the cash. our Jap student has just gone home and there's no more students coming over until the end of April and christ do you miss the money.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
I've used spareroom.co.uk, there's always a lot of people looking for rooms there.

You must have a proper written agreement, and set absolutely clear house rules, eg keeping place clean & tidy, late night noise, payment of rent schedules, etc. I always interview face to face and go on instinct. This person will be sharing your intimate living space, so if you don't feel quite right about them, don't let them in !

You must also get a proper lodger's agreement, in case you need to get them out.

I've had quite a few lodgers over the past 3 years, would agree it's a great way to get extra cash, but just be careful about who you take.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here