Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which players from the 1970s and 1980s were given the title 'The New George Best'?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Peter Marinello was one:

gun__1266400564_marinello_peter.jpg

And Brighton's very own Alan Duffy was 'the Third Division's answer to George Best':

duffy.jpg

Have there been any others?

I'm mainly trying to think of flair / individualistic players who were hyped up and given that title, and it proving the kiss of death. As opposed to the likes of Stan Bowles and Paul Gascoigne who had enough about them to outgrow that title.

(Obviously, I appreciate that there was a time when any young prospect - even Norman Whiteside - from Old Trafford was given that tag by lazy journalists).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
"Which players from the 1970s and 1980s were given the title 'The New George Best'?"

He started his career in the 70's & I Know he can player da Guitar, harmonica, banjo, bodhrán, & piano.....

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 258

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Later Ryan Giggs. Laurie Cunningham probably worth a shout.

I can't remember that far back but I'm guessing there was a chance that the oh-so-predictable press could have dubbed him the 'Black Best'. Did that happen?

Oct 25, 2003
on a slightly similar note- 14 players have been 'officially' dubbed 'the new maradona'

-Franco di Santo
-Carlos Marinelli
-Diego Latorre
-Andres D'Alessandro
-Mauro Zarate
-Ezequiel Lavezzi
-Ariel Ortega
-Marcelo Gallardo
-Javier Saviola
-Pablo Aimar
-Sergio Aguero
-Carlos Tevez
-Juan Roman Riquelme
-Lionel Messi

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Peter Marinello was one:

gun__1266400564_marinello_peter.jpg

And Brighton's very own Alan Duffy was 'the Third Division's answer to George Best':

duffy.jpg

Have there been any others?

I'm mainly trying to think of flair / individualistic players who were hyped up and given that title, and it proving the kiss of death. As opposed to the likes of Stan Bowles and Paul Gascoigne who had enough about them to outgrow that title.

(Obviously, I appreciate that there was a time when any young prospect - even Norman Whiteside - from Old Trafford was given that tag by lazy journalists).
Your'e right with that assessment....Brightons Barry Rees was given the name as the next Duncan Edwards...both fabulous players..both passed away at a very young age...Barry Rees was probably the best footballer I've ever seen in an Albion shirt..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here