Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber on The Footballer's Football Show tonight (Mon)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cheers for the heads up, I'm on it.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The Footballer's Football Show is one of the more interesting shows that Sky puts out each week

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although Barber will be quizzed on many issues, this will interesting.
Great that they have a representative of a club who are trying to meet FFP, and not say from Leicester, QPR and Forest who are all blatantly carrying on with the Chelski model.

Presenter cannot pronounce Deloitte - keeps saying the silent 'e' suffix.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Personally I think we are so lucky to have PB at our club, I've never got the hostility towards him, my main concern is a bigger club will poach him .

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
There will be an awful lot of red faces if we find next December that we haven't managed to stay within the FFP limits.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think we will do it though. He wouldn't be pushing for sanctions so much if he knew we may fail.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Exactly what I was thinking. I think we will do it though. He wouldn't be pushing for sanctions so much if he knew we may fail.

He's on record as saying we're "on target". In corporate speak, that equals "we will", unless the comment is caveated, which his was not. Happy to offer 2/1 that we'll be inside the limits if anyone wants to take it! Offer expires in one month...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Do you think we will? You seem very cynical about it.

I hope we do!

Do I think we will - to be honest I have my doubts, and if we do manage to do so this season, having massaged last years finances, the following seasons targets are even tougher.

The club's biggest individual cost centre is the player budget and yet PB has plainly stated that this year we are spending more than we did last year - we just have to hope that the additional revenue from sponsorship deals will cover this and more.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How did I read that thread title as 'Barber on Late Kick Off tonight'? Have even sat through some of that irritating **** Mcintyre's talk show while waiting.

:facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm surprised how much he talked about Brighton, rather than football in general.

David Jones said that the FFP rules didn't apply for one year after a club was relegated from the premier league, and no one corrected him - is that right?

If he was wrong, and QPR don't meet FFP, the transfer embargo won't be in effect until next January (at the earliest), which means they can still buy and sell this summer, to get ready for promotion next year. FFP just doesn't seem to have much clout.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I hope we do!

Do I think we will - to be honest I have my doubts, and if we do manage to do so this season, having massaged last years finances, the following seasons targets are even tougher.

The club's biggest individual cost centre is the player budget and yet PB has plainly stated that this year we are spending more than we did last year - we just have to hope that the additional revenue from sponsorship deals will cover this and more.

I think PB's confidence in meeting it next year has done enough to convince me. It would be odd to go on record that clearly (and quite a few times) and then fail. As you've said though, it'll get harder year on year. The longer we go without promotion, the more difficult it will be to meet FFP requirements and still maintain a competitive side, as well as maintain our crowds. Unless of course FFP has the same affect on other sides, in which case it might be easier to keep a decent team together, although I'm sure the parachute payment sides will have a say in that. The gap is continuing to get wider, and we need to bridge it ASAP (by gaining promotion) if we want to get close to breaking even financially.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm surprised how much he talked about Brighton, rather than football in general.

David Jones said that the FFP rules didn't apply for one year after a club was relegated from the premier league, and no one corrected him - is that right?

If he was wrong, and QPR don't meet FFP, the transfer embargo won't be in effect until next January (at the earliest), which means they can still buy and sell this summer, to get ready for promotion next year. FFP just doesn't seem to have much clout.

As I understand it the answer to that is yes and no!

If a club is relegated from the Premier League then they will not face any penalties during their first season in the Championship even if the hadn't complied with the PL's FFP rules. However if they don't comply with the requirements of the Championship FFP regulations during that first season then they will face sanctions in their second season the same as any other club.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
FFPis a health hazard....it gives me a God Almighty Headache. And that's just reading about it. It must seem like a terminal illness trying to implement it.
If the penalties threatened are enforced I predict there'll be such a Hoohah by the money = influential clubs the FA will change them. And if they're not applied there will be such outrage from the innocents that once more the FA will be left with an eggy face and hand out suspended sentences or some other ridiculous naughty step punishment. The whole idea IMO is crass. :rolleyes:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I predict there'll be such a Hoohah by the money = influential clubs the FA will change them. And if they're not applied there will be such outrage from the innocents that once more the FA will be left with an eggy face

Yup I tend to agree if the money bags clubs start getting letters from the FA they will begin legal action

'we did not vote for this' would be a good defence for those relegated clubs.

This would then be countered by the conforming clubs with 'we stuck to the rules'.

So who wins the legal battle?

I am guessing the FL could say to those relegated that when you enter the FL you abide by it's rules. Their counter would be 'we were forced into the FL and did not choose to'

It's a bag of rats and I cant see it ending well. The only saving grace is that running a club that is relatively solvent is the right thing to do for long term survivability.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The only saving grace is that running a club that is relatively solvent is the right thing to do for long term survivability.

Agreed, although I thinking running the club that actually breaks even is really the right thing to do.

Another point to remember is that there are 2 reasons to be in favour of FFP. 1) The owner of the club is either unable to or unwilling to plug the losses with multi miliions and/or b) Because the leaders of your club believe in it and are not willing to put the club in to excessive debt to exceed the thresholds.

It would be interesting to see the views of each club and their fans around why they do or do not support FFP. I suspect the fans view would be quite fickle in relation to 1) above. Confident a few on here would be changing their views if TB suddenly said here's £20m, go and buy Ade Akinbyi....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here