Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Blog Site?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've been meaning to get involved in blogging again.

I don't really care if anyone reads it or not. It is an escape or medicine for me.

What is the best platform? I've done Wordpress and Blogspot.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Please excuse the copy and paste but this is my reply to a previous thread:

I've had my blog for about three years now and get about 200 hits a day from it. I wouldn't expect to make any money from it unless I was getting a few thousand hits a day or more so I've never bothered with sticking adverts on mine. I find them intrusive and off-putting for a small blog so I like to keep mine clean from that. I use Blogger because it's a nice easy format to use but I know that the blogs that arty types or those that are more essay based rather than hot-linking music videos and streams prefer Wordpress. I couldn't tell you which one is better or not but Google own Youtube and Blogger so it's all integrated for you. Sticking embedded code is a piece of cake whichever blog you use though. And both have lots of pre-designed templates that you can use and tailor yourself. And find your own in-house style (font type and size, upper/lower case, the way you name each entry) and stick with it.

Another thing Google have done is make it very easy for you to have your own domain name and still use the Blogger functionality. It's worth considering if you fancy a more bespoke blog name something like blogname.com rather than blogname.blogspot.com I presume Wordpress have the same sort of thing.

And as for advertising my blog to the outside world I've found a couple of things absolutely invaluable. There's some free tools that automatically post to Facebook and Twitter every time I make a new blog entry. The Facebook one obviously just informs my friends but the Twitter one you're going out to the world. It might be worthwhile setting up a Twitter account specifically for your blog and give it a name to identify what your blog is. Then start following Twitter accounts of both your subject matter and your target audience and you'll gradually build up a ready source of new material for your blog and also followers interested in the subject matter. And probably best to stick to whatever your blog is about with that Twitter account. You can follow whoever you like though, of course. I get a real buzz when sometimes a band or musician pick up on my blog entry and mention it on Twitter or contact me via the blog.

With regards to updating it, I wouldn't really know if there's a right or wrong number of posts per day/week/month. I can go without posting for a week and then get a mad rush on and post 5 in one night. Best of luck with it, the above is just my experience and my blog is very small scale and specifically music so might not all be relevant.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?291963-Writing-a-Blog

...and in short, if it's full of GIFs and zeitgeist-y, irreverent humour I'd probably go tumblr, if you want to embed loads of Youtube vids then I'd recommend blogspot and if it's a niche blog with lots of word content then wordpress appears to be the blog of choice. There's probably others out there too.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why not try short stories or poetry? More rewarding I would think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here